586,645 active members*
2,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Would like to use FineCut consumables to cut 3/16" mild steel sheet. Is it possible?

Would like to use FineCut consumables to cut 3/16" mild steel sheet. Is it possible?

Alright, here's my deal.

I have a DynaTorch 5x10 machine with a Hypertherm Powermax 1250 G3 and the T80M machine torch. Initial height is set using Dynatorch's ohmic sensing geehaw, and cutting height is set via arc voltage.

I cut a lot of 11 ga mild steel using the finecut consumables, and I'm happy with what I'm getting there.

However, I'm working on a new product line that will require the extensive use of 3/16" sheet (still mild steel), and I would very much like to continue being able to use the finecut stuff.

I need the reliable edge condition and definition of geometry that I get from the finecuts, but I need to use the thicker material.

Is it possible to cut 3/16" mild steel with the finecut consumables?

If it is possible, could you guys spot me some info on cutting data?

A jumping off point to tune from would be most helpful.

An answer from Jim Colt would likely make my week.

Thanks for your time guys.
    Ryan Shanks - Logic Industries LLC
    http://www.logic-industries.com

A lot of users are happy with the FineCut parts on 3/16" steel. Here would be a suggested starting point.

Use the 220404 deflector, the 220061 ohmic cap.

Pierce height: .15"
    Cut height: .08"
    Pierce delay time: .6 seconds
    Cut speed: 40 to 50 ipm
    Amperage: 45 to 50

Expect light dross....it will be easy to remove. By experimenting with speed you can minimize the dross. Expect a bit shorter nozzle life as these consumables last longest at 40 amps or less....but that power level is a bit too low for 3/16"

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    Alright, here's my deal.

I have a DynaTorch 5x10 machine with a Hypertherm Powermax 1250 G3 and the T80M machine torch. Initial height is set using Dynatorch's ohmic sensing geehaw, and cutting height is set via arc voltage.

I cut a lot of 11 ga mild steel using the finecut consumables, and I'm happy with what I'm getting there.

However, I'm working on a new product line that will require the extensive use of 3/16" sheet (still mild steel), and I would very much like to continue being able to use the finecut stuff.

I need the reliable edge condition and definition of geometry that I get from the finecuts, but I need to use the thicker material.

Is it possible to cut 3/16" mild steel with the finecut consumables?

If it is possible, could you guys spot me some info on cutting data?

A jumping off point to tune from would be most helpful.

An answer from Jim Colt would likely make my week.

Thanks for your time guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    A lot of users are happy with the FineCut parts on 3/16" steel. Here would be a suggested starting point.

Use the 220404 deflector, the 220061 ohmic cap.

Pierce height: .015"
    Cut height: .08"
    Pierce delay time: .6 seconds
    Cut speed: 40 to 50 ipm
    Amperage: 45 to 50

Expect light dross....it will be easy to remove. By experimenting with speed you can minimize the dross. Expect a bit shorter nozzle life as these consumables last longest at 40 amps or less....but that power level is a bit too low for 3/16"

Jim Colt
    Excellent, that'll get me started.

One question, do you really mean to pierce at fifteen thou off the surface? (0.015") Or is that supposed to be one hundred fifty thou? (0.150") Or maybe the two numbers are transposed?

It seems odd to pierce at a lower height than you would cut at.

EDIT: BTW, do you have a recommendation for the arc voltage that is likely to yield the prescribed cut height? Just ball park it for me, if you would.
    Ryan Shanks - Logic Industries LLC
    http://www.logic-industries.com

I changed my message....pierce at .15" off the plate, the rest looks correct! The arc voltage will be a guess...probably around 85 to 90 volts. Just do a long cut and adjust voltage up or down until the height is as close to .080" as you can get.

Thanks for the correction!

Jim