586,113 active members*
3,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Dewalt DWP611 and Porter Cable 450 "Compact" Routers + Questions

Dewalt DWP611 and Porter Cable 450 "Compact" Routers + Questions

I was looking for a decent spindle to get more power than my current rotozip, but I don't feel like pulling 12 amps from a 2 1/4 HP Milwaukee router I have as where I run the mill I only have a single 20 amp circuit.

I first started looking at the laminate routers, but they don't offer much more power than a rotozip, other than being a bit more solid. After a bit more research I stumbled upon these:

DWP611 1.25 HP Max Torque Variable Speed Compact Router with LED's | DEWALT Tools
    Delta Machinery|Porter Cable Product Details for 1.25 HP Max Torque Compact Router - Model # 450

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either. They were released early October of this year so I cannot find any reviews online, and there isn't a single store within 150 miles that carries one. As far as I can tell they are identical other than the Porter Cable does not have variable speed. Retail on the Dewalt is $139 and the Porter Cable is $129, are there other better options for the price out there?

I like the full aluminum can, perfectly round can for easy mounting, and parts support, plus there are plenty of Dewalt service centers here. They also advertise "Extended 8-slot 1/4" collet maximizes surface contact with router bit shank for a tighter grip" and I don't know if thats just word play to make it sound better or if it really does help. I have a feeling it will be quite a while until they make a 1/8" collet adapter, so will I run into any runout or precision problems by using one of the 1/8" to 1/4" adapters like this: Router collet, 1/8" X 1/4", brass - eBay (item 380279609362 end time Dec-15-10 04:39:32 PST) ?

Thanks in advance, Taylor.

If it's not too big, I'd recommend a PC 690 and a Super-PID for speed control. You can get precision collets for the 690, and it's only about $125 at Amazon.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well I've currently got a Milwaukee 5616 so I would hate to go out and buy a new router if I was to use full sized. I'd still rather stay away from the larger routers tho. Thanks for the info on the SuperPID, never knew it existed and I was trying to find something like that earlier Definitely looks like a great setup when I expand my table.

I'm only cutting CF sheets at a max of 1.5mm thick, and occasionally some wood, so a full size router just seems like overkill for me. The rotozip does the job fine, I just was looking to get something a bit more rebuild-able, solid, and variable speed, the added power is just more of a bonus. My mill is pretty much the Fine Line Automation resized to 2' x 2' cutting area, until I get a dedicated shop. Then I will be going for a 4' x 8' and a full sized router setup, quite a ways down the road tho It does seem in this hobby down the road comes pretty quick as a few weeks after I finished my Solsylva 13x13 I was already started on a new bigger and better mill lol.

You might want to look at a Bosch Colt. You can get precision collets for them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I ended up just ordering the Super PID, as I figured I will end up buying it at some point... so I may as well just simplify it by getting it right off the bat.

For the next month I'll stick with the rotozip, and then upgrade to either the suggested PC 690 , Bosch Colt, or the PC 450.

Thanks for the help, pretty sure you saved me quite a bit of hassle down the road

How important is it to get a precision collet and what will it help? I haven't seen any quality issues with my rotozip and the $6 1/4" collet, but then again I'm not looking too hard or expecting perfect results.

Thanks again in advance

Just started a new thread about DeWalt DPW611

Briefly: I burned up two laminate trimmers, both 2.5 amps. DPW611 it has 1.25 horsepower, 7 ampere, 16-25,000 RPM, soft start, variable speed control, electronic feedback so it can maintain a constant speed, and, best of all, two really bright LED's that illuminate the area being cut.

Another feature is that the motor shaft the collet attaches to is drilled out so a router bit [only 1/4-inch bits] shank can be inset into the shaft and not bottom out. This is great as then the cutting part of the bit does not have to extend so far from the collet. There is zero run-out on mine.

I cut some white oak and the DPW611 did not even hiccup...even cutting at 2.5 out of 6 on the variable speed.

Buy it, you'll like it

Glad to hear that the DWP611 seems to be doing great for you, as I just got a PC450 for Christmas (They are identical other than badging and variable speed).

Just now waiting for a temporary reducer until they hopefully come out with precision collets for it. I should be able to get my Super-PID hooked up this week and try the router out with some wood bits and make a few little signs.

Be sure to post up if you run into any issues please