586,533 active members*
2,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Vectric licencing and help caution

Vectric licencing and help caution

Just starting with a cnc router and my experience so far. Lest anyone else wastes their time I thought I'd put a warning here.
    Bought a version of vcarve pro which seems so far not bad - the only thing I've noticed so far that was unusual was a dialog box clearing when I chose some options - not a problem.
    However I installed the software on a machine next to the router which is located in a shed away from where I work so I could create and modify the toolpaths there.
    I then created a file on a trial software with my main work machine. But having spent some hours on it and then returning to open it on the cutting machine I've discovered that the file is locked to the trial software. There is no mention of this anywhere in the trial licencing that I saw or the website and if you take it up with the support all the sympathy you'll get is a google link to the definition of trial.
    And that's for a customer who's paid for some not inexpensive software.
    A marked contrast to the reaction of any of the support teams of any of the other software I've purchased.

FieldKnot

I have never had any trouble with Vectric, They have been great, there trial software is just that only good for trying, & can not transfer what you do in it

You may be able to send them your files, that you have done, so they can open them

You only payed for one seat/license
    Mactec54

Good it all worked out for you.
    I'm only creating toolpaths in one place, I've only one router. But obviously they can do what they want and that's their call. It's just it was a problem from me, other software companies - I use products costing from 60usd to 100,000 usd, have a different approach that set my expectations. Browsing on their forums I see someone else had the same problem. Also if you look at the website the trial is listed as helpful for marketing etc. so it's maybe not as clear as that.
    Anyway now in the early hours of the morning I'm back where I thought I was - the help didn't suggest sending the file to them or actually to help in any way, so the quickest approach was to work through it again. If posting here stops someone doing what I did, then it was worth doing so.
    Thanks though

What happens if you install the licensed version on your main computer, open the files, then save them again?

I had a feeling the trial files were locked to some sort of machine ID. I couldn't, for example, open a file created with the trial version on my home machine in a trial version on my work machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

You only payed for one seat/license
    Vectric software is licensed per user. You can install it on multiple machines, if you're the only user. If two people are using it, you need two licenses.
    Vectric Forum • View topic - Licensing question
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ger21

That was not what the problem was, he was trying to get the work he had done in the trial version that he had been using, To work in the licensed Vcarve Pro he has, He took the files from the licensed Vcarve Pro to work on in the trial version, & when he took them back they would not work
    Mactec54

I understand that, I was just trying to clarify what you posted.

Vectric's trial policy isn't going to change for 1 user, it is what it is.

But their support is second to none, and you won't find any users who disagree.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'm astounded by all or your responsiveness and helpfulness. Thank you all.
    Can't say I agree about the quality of Vectric's support so far though - within several posts on this forum I not only have a solution that if I'd known before would have saved me hours and meant I got some more sleep last night, but clarification - from Vectric I got an link to looking up a definition of trial on google (maybe it's cultural, but doing the virtual equivalent of throwing a dictionary to a user who's bought your product and saying look up trial, doesn't seem exactly quality support to me) and nothing helpful.
    Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by FieldKnot View Post

................... from Vectric I got an link to looking up a definition of trial on google (maybe it's cultural,....................
    Yeah Vectric is a British company. They can be a bit odd those poms. :wee:

In the years I have been using the Vectric forum I have never heard any one complain about their support. You must have struck them on a bad day.

Anyway I am glad you got the answers you needed. Vcarve Pro is an excellent piece of software, I expect you will be very happy with it.

Greg

Vectric is the best and Best support around PERIOD.

I have only experienced first class professionalism from various Vetric products, and use the V-Carve Pro in an office computer, then transfer the created files to the machine computer via USB stick. It is best to only run the controller program on your machine's computer to avoid machining problems. Simple edits to programs on the machines computer can easily be done using notepad.

After losing a hard-drive Vectric went well out of their way to get me back up and running. I have never been treated this generous by anyone and will never forget it.

An update:
    Tony Mac as in the linked to forum came to me and confirmed the installation on multiple computers for a single user, also on reading this thread he offered a refund, so it looks as though I was unlucky initially. Thanks to you all and also Tony - looking forward to getting stuff machined.

Hi, I don't know why you are using the demo on one computer and full license on another, anyway this is your choice.

For the mean time I'm experiencing with the demo and I have asked quite a few questions and always found someone whiling to share his knowledge.

Soon be making the move

An update:
    Tony Mac as in the linked to forum came to me and confirmed the installation on multiple computers for a single user, also on reading this thread he offered a refund, so it looks as though I was unlucky initially. Thanks to you all and also Tony - looking forward to getting stuff machined.
    That is an offer that I suspect no other CAD/CAM software company would make when you use only a software key to run their program.

That is why I like Vectric, fantastic support, above and beyond what others offer.

I have been using VcarvePro for a few years, you will like it. A friend living in another state was trying to talk me into getting a well know CAD/CAM program he is running. He demo it to me by sharing his desktop on skype. After about an hour of watching him I said ok let me show you VcarvePro. Finished a project I was doing while he watched on Skype, within the week he ordered VcarvePro.

I'm astounded by all or your responsiveness and helpfulness. Thank you all.
    Can't say I agree about the quality of Vectric's support so far though - within several posts on this forum I not only have a solution that if I'd known before would have saved me hours and meant I got some more sleep last night, but clarification - from Vectric I got an link to looking up a definition of trial on google (maybe it's cultural, but doing the virtual equivalent of throwing a dictionary to a user who's bought your product and saying look up trial, doesn't seem exactly quality support to me) and nothing helpful.
    Thanks again everyone.
    When I tried the trial version, it stated in plain sight that you couldn't save anything in that version. I tried it pretty recently too. Nothing worst then someone who complains when it is they who are at fault. (wedge)

Cdat, that is not correct. You can DEFINITELY save in the trial version. I used it to design a whole bunch of components before I bought a copy.

What you can't do is generate g-code, except for the sample files provided with the trial.

The original poster's problem has been solved, and it looks like he is happy with the solution. He wasn't "at fault", he tried to open a file prepared on another (correctly licensed) machine with the trial version. The link between the file machine and a trial version isn't clear.

There's no need to be so accusative