586,106 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > 4 axis toolpath

4 axis toolpath

Using a rotary 4 axis, I cannot set the feed rate for the "A" axis. As soon as the "F" command is issued the "A" axis seems to be the same feed as the "X" axis which is only 300. In the "X" axis this is in inches per minute. In the "A" axis this is degrees per minute, this is way too slow. I would like to have about 20,000 degrees per minute.

The rapids at the start of the program are fine, but as soon as the cut starts, I am limited to 300 degrees per minute. I am using the "4 axis Mach inches". I tried all of the other 4 axis tool paths and still no luck.

Try searching mach forums... I seem to recall this is normal because of how controller has to default to whatever slowest drive spins/rotates at so all axis are moving same speed. Dont take this as gospel... Just a guess from what ive read over the years and stored in my mental memory.

Artsoft.com forum. I swear there was a thread on this.

Yes, I think you are correct, after you mentioned it, radius correction came to mind. I will give that a try tomorrow. Seems like it used to be called diameter correction, but the later versions changed it to radius.

Thanx

If your controller permits you to enter a diameter for your 4th axis work, it might be able to convert your IPM into equivalent degree/min feeds for sole rotary movement.

Otherwise, you will need to investigate the usage of 'inverse time' feedrates from your CAM, as an option for your 4th axis post.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)