586,121 active members*
3,415 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DUMBASS NEEDS HELP

Guys please help a total idiot and that being me. I am trying to tighten up the play in the Z Axis and the FN gibs on my Syil X4. On the underside of the Z i tighten that screw and i noticed the gib sticking out
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am trying to figure out why it is sticking out 5/16 of a inch and when i jog the Z Axis there is slop in the gib before it moves with the Z axis. If this does not make any sense i apologize. I am a self taught in this stuff and i am no machinist i just like makin **** for a living.

Thank You

Greg

That step in the end of the gib is supposed to catch under the head of the adjusting screw, to prevent the gib from coming out like that. Looks to me like you need to make a new, wider, gib strip. Or perhaps you could weld some more metal onto the top of the gib, to give the screw something to grab onto.

Regards,
    Ray L.

you have to loosen up the screw on the other end first and remove the screw on the bottom,than push the gibb back up against the upper screw,than remove the bottom screw and check to see if the head is damaged.might need a new screw,after you get the gibb back in place you can readjust your slop out,this is how the gibb screws work:start by stugging both screws against the gibb,to move the gibb you first loosen one screw and tighten the other,basically they lock the gibb in place from both ends,so loosen one a little and tighten the other until the gibb is moved in the correct direction and is snug as you want,now thats how the gibb strip works,you will have to check the gibb out too,it might have some material shaved off it,you could order a new gibb and screws,would be a good idea

Thanx guys and i will keep you posted as to what becomes of the problem. I think i just might ask for new gibs and screws and just work with that messed up one until then.