586,114 active members*
3,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > download or drip feed to fanuc -o control

download or drip feed to fanuc -o control

I have just acquired a Fanuc -o control on a mill. It has an RS232 port that has been used in the past to program the machine. I do have a couple questions.

1. is it possible for me to thru some adapter other than a computer dedicated to the mill transfer from a thumb drive to the memory of the Fanuc.

2. If using a computer what are the setting requirements for the port in order to set it up for RS232

3. can you offer a step by step for these operations?

Quote Originally Posted by oreos40 View Post
    I have just acquired a Fanuc -o control on a mill. It has an RS232 port that has been used in the past to program the machine. I do have a couple questions.

1. is it possible for me to thru some adapter other than a computer dedicated to the mill transfer from a thumb drive to the memory of the Fanuc.

2. If using a computer what are the setting requirements for the port in order to set it up for RS232

3. can you offer a step by step for these operations?

There are some hand held devices available, but they need to be of the type that communicates via RS232.

For communicating with a PC or similar external device having a Uart, set the following machine parameters. Bits are read from right to left. The right most bit is "0", the left most bit is "7"

Set Bit 0 to 1 for 2 Stop Bits
    Set Bit 2 to 0 for RS-232 Input

#552 = 10 (4800 Baud)

Machine Control Set Page Settings
    I/O = 0
    ISO Format

Cable pin out is as follows and will depend on whether the PC Comm Port is 9 or 25 pin.

Machine Side--------------------PC Side
    DB25 Male Connector---------DB9 Female Connector
    2-------------------------------2
    3-------------------------------3
    | bridged

|
    8 all bridged
    |

7------------------------------5

Machine Side--------------------PC Side
    DB25 Male Connector---------DB25 Female Connector
    2-------------------------------3
    3-------------------------------2
    | bridged

|
    8 all bridged
    |

7------------------------------7

The PC will have to be equipped with the appropriate software to communicate via RS232 and have the transfer settings configured as follows:

Baud Rate = 4800
    Parity = Even
    Data Bits = 7
    Stop Bits = 2
    Handshaking = Xon Xoff

Programs are Uploaded and Downloaded to and from the control using EDIT Mode.

1. To Drip Feed (DNC) to the machine, your machine must have a Tape Reader and TAPE mode is used for the communication with the PC.

2. To Drip Feed to the machine, ready the PC, most Comms packages have a dedicated DNC mode, but Send mode will most often work also.

3. Place the machine in TAPE mode and press Cycle Start. The PC should start to send data to the machine. All functions of the machine will work as per normal, such as Single Block, Block Delete, Optional Block etc. The only limitation with DNC is that if the program uses Sub Programs, the Subs must be loaded into the machines memory.

Regards,

Bill

thank you much!

next couple questions.

How do I remove a program that is loaded into memory on this control.
    What line of code do I need to have the control automatically return to the beginning of the program so that I don't have to manually reset it?

In my program I have set the work zero point as the first movement line of code, from there I go into incremental for the part and machine the part. It would be nice to do a grouping of ten offset in y by 2.312 inches for each can I create a subroutine and just offset to the next start point. I know there are six programmable work "zero points" but with ten in a group is there another way to program them off of a single start point and have the machine return to this point after the group is done for reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by oreos40 View Post
    thank you much!

next couple questions.

How do I remove a program that is loaded into memory on this control.
    To delete program O1234, in EDIT mode, type O1234 and press the DELETE key.
    What line of code do I need to have the control automatically return to the beginning of the program so that I don't have to manually reset it?
    M30

In my program I have set the work zero point as the first movement line of code, from there I go into incremental for the part and machine the part. It would be nice to do a grouping of ten offset in y by 2.312 inches for each can I create a subroutine and just offset to the next start point. I know there are six programmable work "zero points" but with ten in a group is there another way to program them off of a single start point and have the machine return to this point after the group is done for reloading?
    You might look into G10 to set/adjust work coordinates.
    G10 G90 L2 P1 X-10. Y-10. will set the G54.
    G10 G91 L2 P1 Y2.312 will move it + 2.312 inches.

thanks! I'll work on it a bit.