586,103 active members*
2,767 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > New conversion starting soon(ish)

New conversion starting soon(ish)

G'day,

I've been lurking for a while now and decided to throw up a thread to gain some motivation and ask questions as they come up.

I've been a glue it together guy for a while and carving something has always intrigued me. I've played around with CAD programs for some time for projects that are a little difficult to get accurate on paper or if i want to see a rendered final product.
    A few of these parts i realised could be built without the need to don eye/face wear which cannot be seen through and thought, why not, i got a bit of space in that corner.....

I've played with manual machines a few years ago and love the possibilities they open up when it come to fabrication and making things myself.
    I recently Purchased a ZX-40A mill, it seems to be the same as the 45 series of machines but possibly a bit smaller, without any measurements of either to compare, I can't say for sure.

I've got the machine, I've started on the bench which will house tooling, computer, controls and power supply. When i initially built it I wasn't thinking of coolant but that'll be an easy fix up top and I have plenty of room below for the reservoir. I'll see if the pics are on this computer, if so, i'll throw up a few in the next couple of hours.

I work on a tri-weekly roster and pretty busy when I'm home so the progress (like other projects) will be slow.

Cheers

I've also got the motors (425oz steppers), chinese drivers which i may replace yet, power supply (24v) which i think i'll replace aswell, computer, pulley's and belts.

It'll run a small amount of reduction, the actual amount yet to be decided. I have a problem with impulse purchases. Hence already wanting to replace the drivers and power supply, it also explains the pulley selection.

Here's a couple of the bench and Mill.

The bench has doors already for the front of the main section. The side is still open as untill i work out shelf spacing for the electronics i won't know how big the doors will be.

Plenty of room underneath, this will one day house the reservoir. There are some rails near the top which will have drawer runners installed for tooling

One of the Mill, it is your usual gear driven head, mmmm more plans.....
    Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps