586,094 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Carbon Fiber and other composites

Afternoon all. I start a new job on the 18th of this month, and need a bit of info. The company works (as far as I know) with only composites, with the exception of building the tooling for said composites. Carbon fiber, fiber glass, and a bunch of others that I can't pronounce. Fiber glass is considered a composite, right?

They currently have 2 machines. One smaller Haas 3 axis and a 5'x10' Thermwood 5 axis with rotary (articulated?) head. They mainly use the thermwood to trim parts after forming/molding/whatever the process is. The Haas seems to be used for machining foam cores.

The main info I am looking for is anything related to machining composites. Recommended cutter types/geometry (will regular carbide endmills just not work?), speed and feed considerations, recommended SFM, chipload, etc.

I don't know the specifics of the machines (RPM and feed capabilites), but just want to get a bit of a headstart.

Thanks.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Onsrud makes router bits for cutting composites. They also have chip load charts in their catalogs. http://www.onsrud.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I machine a lot of fiberglass, mostly turning with a little milling.

I have found that uncoated carbide running at 250 to 290sfpm, works really well its super slow but its makes the cutters last fairly well.

Solid carbide endmills last good but the lathe tooling is different. I have been using alum grade inserts for turning because they have a nice sharp edge with a very positve chip breaker. Coated inserts dont work very well and heat a lot, due to the coating making a slightly dull cutting edge.

I have been using a PCD ( diamond ) grooving tool for parting off fiberglass tubing and it has lasted monthes, but is super pricey.

I looked into onsrud cutters and they are meant to run high RPM and cost a fortune. Most good manufactures make diamond coated solid carbide endmills for a lot cheaper, that is what I am going to try out for higher production numbers.

Its a entire different thing machining fiber glass, and glass plastics.

(edit... wow this is a really old post)

Yep, this one is pretty old...

Just a comment to anybody who reads it, glass nor carbon fibre are composites - BUT when they're mixed with resin they will be. When two ingredients are used together to get new characteristics it's a composite. Even glued wood such as plywood is one.

Regards,
    Sven