586,065 active members*
4,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 Backlash Issue

I have had my mill setup for about a week now with the same settings and haven't changed anything. All of sudden today when I go to run test run a file I'm getting some weird stalls.

For some reason, when backlash comp is enabled in mach3 one of my motors will randomly stall if more than 1 is moving at the same time. For example, if I'm moving along the Y axis and I then go to move say the X axis at the same time it will randomly stale the Y axis but the X will keep moving. It makes the same noise as if you hit a limit on the table. I could be moving the X axis back and forth and then try to move the Z and it will randomly stall the X. I could let up and it won't do it 3 or 4 times then it does it. It stops if I turn off backlash comp which is weird as I've been cutting and playing with the mill for the last week and it has never done this.

Fixed the problem it seems

The shuttle control was set to .004 but this appears to be to fast. Setting it to a slower .01 got rid of the stalls. How it worked for a week and then stop makes no sense to me.

Did you forget to oil the machine in the meantime? Perhaps you were freshly oiled previously and the lubricant had run off. Sometimes a small thing like that can make all the difference. On mine it always seems that the first jog of the Z after not using the machine will lose steps or stall and it will be fine after that.

bob

It was the first thing I tried actually. I had oiled it when I first got it and it definitely could have used some more.

strohkirchw,

Same thing happened to me. I used to be able to jog 2 axis at the same time. One day, it stopped working. I could jog one axis and when I pushed a button for another, the first would stop violently.

The only thing I changed in between was slowing down the acceleration of one of the axis. I guess there is some interaction there that I don't understand.

For now I have been ignoring it, but it's good there's a fix. I'll have to give it a try tonight.

Just for reference, I ended up with .03 on the shuttle and 30IPM rapids and it has completely gone away. I guess I could mess around with the shuttle and rapid values but I'm happy for now.