586,094 active members*
3,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Allen Bradley Ultra 1500 Drive Connectors

Allen Bradley Ultra 1500 Drive Connectors

Hi All,

Need help tracking down the manufacturer of the mini 20 pin and 50 pin connectors that will mate with the ultra 1500 drives. I can source the moulded cable connectors fron AB themselves, however they are too high for my control application once plugged in. I am trying to lower the height of the connector when it is plugged in. I wish to find a mating solder cup connector with a 90 degree back shell assembly, or, at the very least, just the solder cup connector so I can mould my own back shell.

Thanks in advance.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If its the type of MiniDin connector I think it is you may have a problem finding solder cup style, they may be only available in crimp pin.
    Have you considered making an extension on the control cabinet?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

Thanks for the suggestion!

As this is a product we do for an ongoing customer who exports his machines world wide, asthetic appeance is of great importance. Since my last post I have sourced them from my Allen Bradley supplier. Although the backshell is still a little bit high, I am at least able to mould my own cables now that I have the mating solder ends. Problem solved for now. It would still be nice to find a suitable back shell, I will keep looking.
    Dave Drain

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Kookaburra, I'm currently also having trouble finding a connector for the J1 terminal on my 1398 Ultra drive, ideally I was hoping to get a connector that is also a terminal board, but at this stage I would be happy with just a crimp or solder connector.
    Would you be able to suggest anywhere to get the type of connector I'm looking for?
    Here is a pic of the port and the type of terminal board I was hoping to get, but as I said I would settle for just a connection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dsc01170.jpg   Dsc01175.jpg  

Glad I'm not the only frustrated one!

Darc,

The only place I could find a matching supply was my AB distributor. I purchase these drives new so it was not a problem for them. I am typing this reply from home otherwise I would throw some part numbers across to you. I will do exactly that in the morning when I get to work. I have found that Newark in the US supplies the 50 pin connector but good luck if you can find a supplier of the 20 pin version. Seems like we are stuck with paying AB $40 for a $6 part. They give us the brand of all the other connectors, why not these. Must be a special, going on the special price they charge.
    Allen Bradley Sales Rep -> :bat:
    what I would like to do to them -> (nuts) (wedge) (chair) :argue: (flame2) :nono:

I think I made myself clear.
    Dave Drain

Thanks for all your help Kookaburra, I found a couple of cables on ebay, but the guy said he doesn't send outside the US, I'm talking to him now to see if he would consider it.
    I had a look at the Newark website, Damn they've got alot of stuff, I couldn't really find what I was after.
    Do you have the Newark code for that type of connector?

I got a price from Allen Bradley and they said the terminal alone would cost me $113 or the entire terminal block would cost $611 WTF @#$%^.

You could try Giddings and Lewis, but I doubt that you are going to find the parts much cheaper from them. They sold the same drives.
    I bought the connectors from Mouser, but most distributors have them. It is a standard AMP or 3m part.

The 50 pin part number you want is 3m 10150-3000VE or AMP 2-178238-7

These are the 3M part numbers I bought from Mouser. Sorry I don't have all the AMP part numbers.
    10120-3000VE 20P PLUG SHIELDED
    10150-3000VE 50P PLUG SHIELDED

These are backshells, you might not want them:
    10350-52F0-008 50P JUNCTION SHELL
    10320-52F0-008 20P JUNCTION SHELL

The plugs are solder cup. Hope you have better near vision than I do, I gave up after about three wires waiting for better glasses.

DARC,

I found them, they are a 3M creation. I will post part numbers tomorrow when I get in to work.
    Dave Drain

Thanks guys, Unterhaus after you gave me the Mouser Numbers I tracked them down on RS Components, the part Numbers are as follows:
    176-1992 (50 pin connector) $25.10AU
    299-4648 (Finger releasable backshell) $15.00AU
    I hope they're the correct ones, I will let you guys know later today.
    Pppfffffff $113 dollars for a $25 part............
    Thanks again.

They look right, now just get ready to squint.

You'll probably need to get the datasheet for these connectors, the layout isn't obvious. I attached it for convenience
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yep I'm good to go, thanks for the pin layout, your right I'm gonna need it.