586,103 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > Buying CNC for PCB Milling - UK

Buying CNC for PCB Milling - UK

Hi,

Ok firstly let me say I am sure this has been asked many times and I don't like to post when there is already an answer, but I have spent 2 hours reading the last several pages on the forum and although I have found a few posts, I have found none that really answer my question.

I am after going from etching to milling my board. They need to be accurate down to SMD QFN packages. That is about the only requirement - so basically a PCB CNC Mill for SMD stuff.

I don't really have a set budget as such, and expect to pay at least £1k from generally looking around, but I have yet to find a single place in the UK that just sells CNC machines that aren't huge factory floor machines.

I have read a lot of DIY mills which I would love to do, but in all realism I just don't have the time to spend doing that as a project so would just prefer to buy one ready to go.

Can anyone recommend a place to purchase such a machine in the UK?

I think you would be better printing the boards rather than milling.

You wont get a RTR machine for £1k then there is the learning curve

Phil

I already print the boards and the next stage is to mill them for less hassle and mess so I am willing to learn.

£1k isn't my limit at all, just my presumed minimum expense for the mill.

I have watched some videos of Widgitmaster Wides doing QFNs without a problem but they don't seem to sell them anymore.

The flaw as far as i can see is controlling depth, maybe i was using the wrong cutter

The only thing i would check out is Marchant Dice but they haven't got a great reputation

Phil

The more and more I read around the main one that seems to pop up as being really accurate is the Proxxon MF 70 with CNC Conversion. Apparently 0.0025mm step accuracy (plus the backlash though), but still that sounds pretty damn accurate considering I only need 0.1 to 0.2mm really to get viable QFN pads.

Anyone got one of these machines who can comment on the accuracy? I can lay my hands on one for pretty cheap so may consider that as an option.

what kind of travels do you need?

No set requirement really, but I would say the biggest board to date is only 6" on the longest side with 4" on the shortest side, and 80% of all boards so far have been less than 3" x 3".

It would be nice to have a say 200x300mm and don't think I would ever need more than that, but I can live with smaller travel if the difference in cost is great enough.