586,094 active members*
3,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Engrave degree scales
Page 1 of 2 12

Engrave degree scales

I'm building a Bonelle type grinding fixture. I'll need to engrave Degree scales on several cylindrical surfaces and perhaps one conical.
    I'm using solidworks and solidcam.
    I have a rotary cnc axis.
    I'm sure I can muddle through the project, but I'm wondering if someone has a cool approach, I hate reinventing the wheel.
    Ozzie

Do you have a pic of what one looks like? I searched Google, but didn't know which one it was.

How are you going to make the scales? The reason I ask is because that can determine how to do this. For example, if the scales were going to be done with an endmill, one end would be radiused, unless it went all the way across the face.

Well here's an example. This one has scales for 4 axis'
    Ozzie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MINI_BONELLE_1002.jpg  

I think I would draw the cylindrical part of the dial on the top plane and extrude the part in both directions to achieve the location of your degree marks on the cylinder. Then model your marks by extruding a cylinder in the top plane at the edge of the original cylinder (uncheck merge results). Radius the ends of the cylinder by half of its diameter. Use the combine feature to cut the small cylinder from the large cylinder leaving you with your hash mark. Then pattern your new hash mark around the axis of the cylinder.

I'm not a CAM guy so I can't help ya there. let me know if I need to explain something in more depth sense I don't know how much you know about solid works.

I hope to hear someone else's method.

Travis

Thanks Travis,
    I think what I need is to project or wrap a flat pattern onto a cylindrical surface.
    There is some info in the Solidcam help files on engraving, quite sketchy though., no tutorial that I found yet. The tics are not much of a problem, the numbers more of a task.
    If I can find, how to wrap, I can make a master pattern and then scale it for each diameter I need.
    I'm going back to the Solidworks help files. Fortunately there is no rush.
    I'm not sure what the "decal" thing is all about; might be help there.
    Ozzie

[IMG][/IMG]

Using wrap on your cylinder would be an easy route. I didn't think about needing numbers. In this test (if it shows up and is an acceptable size) shows where to lay out your tic marks and numbers. Using wrap and selecting your sketch and surface, your sketch will project onto your part.

You will need to fine tune your distance between tics and the length of your sketch needs to be the same as the circumference. That in its self will take some time that will payoff with every part you make with your new tool. My sketch looks like a scale but you see what I mean.

Travis

edit: I don't know if there is a work around but the tic marks are actually small rectangles because it wouldn't let me use a sketch with open contours

Okay, that was my problem when I read the wrap instructions, all open entities.
    Did you make the numbers closed also?

I suppose I could make the ticks rectangles at some ridiculously thin size.
    Just multiplying by Pi will give the length of the strip. I can make it any random size and scale it; or just figure the length first and array.
    Ozzie

Yes the numbers are just text and they come out boxed. I just had two different sketches and used font and spaces between the numbers to make them land near the tic marks. You could very well use one sketch and put the numbers dead nuts on the tics. Also start your first tic on the outer edge of your part if you look at the pic my scale starts late in the revolution, I think this could be corrected by this.

If all other features are identical I would draw it with a 1in dia. and scale to your actual size. Getting your numbers where you need them will be quite time consuming because you will have to do it 36 times

Travis

Thanks again Travis,
    I've been busy with a couple other little projects; I'll soon get back to this.
    Ozzie

Hello again, After a few hours of playing around, (trial and endless errors), I've managed to wrap tic marks around a cylindrical surface and place a number correctly.
    So I can do it.
    The next area I need some help is that I can't see how to make a sketch and then save it for another part. If I can do that I can make a master to adapt, (scale), for other surfaces.
    Ozzie

Tools>Blocks>Make

Select the entities that you want to include in th block. The blue (on my color setup) origin indicates the origin of the sketch and can be dragged around, if needed.

Click the green check. "Block1-1" (or some similar name) appears in feature tree.

Right click the "Block1-1" to save, edit, etc.

HTH.

Thanks, will try today.

Ozzie

Doesn't work for me. The "make" button is ghosted.
    Bear in mind it is a sketch only.

Ozzie

I hope it's ok to post this...

I saved this article from Javelin Technologies newsletter. Maybe it'll help you.

http://***.javelin-tech.com/newslett...grad_marks.htm

I won't have access to the program until I'm back from vacation so this is a WAG... You have to be in an active sketch to make a block.

Lamebridge,
    This won't open for me.
    Perhaps you could email it to me
    [email protected]
    Ozzie

APin,
    I went back in there and tried save instead of make and that appeared to work.
    I need to try using it now.
    Thanks
    Ozzie

Mmm,
    I started a new part.
    Made a cylinder.
    Created a plane tangent to it.
    Brought in the sketch block to that plane.
    Good so far.
    Problem now is that "wrap" is ghosted.
    Ozzie

Aha!,
    All is cool, I forgot to exit the sketch!

Many, many thanks for the help guys,
    Ozzie

Ozzie, the link works for me. You need to change the *** to www.

Page 1 of 2 12