586,103 active members*
2,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > HELP!! I need an internal groover!!

Exclamation HELP!! I need an internal groover!!

Hello,
    I am trying to cut an internal relief into a piece of 1215. The inserts we were using before were an alteration to an existing HORN threader, but HORN is no longer able to supply these inserts in a reasonable time frame.
    Here is the feature we are trying to cut:
    There is an existing through bore of .570 - .572
    The final relief ramps up to an ID of .915-.935 at an angle of 45 degrees, continues straight for .291, and ramps back down at 45 degrees. Total Z depth: .64 plus a .010-.015 radius back to the bore. All corners have a radius of .010-.015. The production run is large enough to warrant buying new tools/tooling, but not large enough to buy new machines or anything else that drastic. We see this part fairly often, so I'd like to stay away from custom grinds if possible. We are also a bit behind, since we thought we could get the old inserts basically off the shelf.

Can anyone recommend a company who would be able to help me out with this?
    Thanks,
    Everett

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've already tried them, horn, sandvik, and manchester. Any other ideas?

We originally used Horn bars and inserts for our ID work but the expense of them made me look for alternatives. Vardex originally brought Horn into the US. I guess they had a falling out. Now Vardex makes a variety of inserts that work on the horn bars. They are also less expensive. They also make the ID bars but the dimensions and quality were not as consistent as the Horn. I'd look at Vardex. They are also readily available here in the states.

Good Luck, hope this helps.
    Gunner

did you call horn and get a list of there distrubuters, if its a popular size of tool someone has to stock it.

Yes, what we used before was modified from another insert, they just don't do the modifications like they used to. THey would have to regrind from a blank insert, which would take about 5-6 weeks.

Have you looked at Vardex yet?
    Gunner

I spoke briefly with them and sent them a sketch of what I need to do, but I am still waiting for a reply. Thanks, I wouldn't have found them otherwise.

It looks like we are going to have to have a special bar made that will hold a DGBT or similar insert. I have about 4-5 rfq's at some of the big companies; does anyone know of someone who specializes in this kind of custom work?