586,096 active members*
3,775 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: My RouterBOT

Page 3 of 4 1234
    I like that new arrangement.

In my case I would need a 45 degree attachment for a 4" hose to go under the gantry beam. Another future project to consider.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Yer a pretty clever guy!!!

Here is an update of my new router gantry setup that I will be swapping on to my machine. I was bored and needed a project that would pique my interest and this fit the bill nicely! The main purpose for this setup is to increase torsional rigidity of the gantry itself.

My machine utilizes steel uprights for its cable support and I neglected to take this into consideration when I drew up my carriages so I came up with a little add on piece to solve this small issue.

This image shows the upright as it is currently mounted through the Y carriage and into the IVTAAG:

This image shows the new mount for the upright installed on to the carriage:

New parts were painted so I assembled the gantry and mounted it aside the old gantry. Photos below show the comparison between the old gantry and the new one which definitely looks more stout!

I will have to make a new dust shoe frame with a slightly wider distance between the mounts since I elected to go just a tad wider on the X axis carriage.

The transition went super smooth. It only took about a half an hour to swap all the components over to the new gantry. I tried to manually twist the gantry to check for torsional rigidity and can say that it is rock solid!

All that's left to do is make the new dust shoe, hopefully tonight, and it will be complete!

My Blog
    http://www.needfulthings.net/tulsaturbo/myblog/index.php

Neat project, and nice parts list.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Neat project, and nice parts list.
    Thanks

Got the dustshoe completed and mounted this morning...

Here is a video of the rapids test I shot this afternoon:

My Blog

Hi, can you tell us a bit more about your drive setup ? I have considered mounting the pinion directly on the stepper motor like that but have been getting mixed feedback on the idea.

I would really appreciate your comments, of course gearing down is better in some ways, but not in every way.

It looks like you are using a 1 in pinion and perhaps a nema 34 motor of some kind ?

Thanks

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Hi, can you tell us a bit more about your drive setup ? I have considered mounting the pinion directly on the stepper motor like that but have been getting mixed feedback on the idea.

I would really appreciate your comments, of course gearing down is better in some ways, but not in every way.

It looks like you are using a 1 in pinion and perhaps a nema 34 motor of some kind ?

Thanks

Harry
    Hi Harry...

I use .75" Pitch Diameter pinions mounted on 381 oz-in Nema 23 sized motors. I love the direct drive setup. Its been a few years now since I had used gear reduction on my setup just to try it out. For myself, I did not see the added benefit since I did not need the supplied resolution for what I make with my machine so I just went back to direct drive.
    My Blog

What kinds of pricing are you getting for the IVTAAN and the IVTAAG in Oklahoma? The couple of online sources I've found seem to be between $2.50 and $3.00 per inch. Just looking for something to compare to if I go to a local PBC Distributor. Thanks.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by OCNC View Post
    What kinds of pricing are you getting for the IVTAAN and the IVTAAG in Oklahoma? The couple of online sources I've found seem to be between $2.50 and $3.00 per inch. Just looking for something to compare to if I go to a local PBC Distributor. Thanks.

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Pricing fluctuates between vendors so you will have to shop around for the best current price.

IVTAAN: $11.13/ft or $0.92/in

IVTAAG: $23.42/ft or $1.95/in
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaturbo View Post
    Here is an update of my new router gantry setup that I will be swapping on to my machine....The main purpose for this setup is to increase torsional rigidity of the gantry itself.
    Will this upgrade work with the 5.0 gantry kit? It seems that at least the X-carriage plate would need to be different. Also is it possible to use the reduction drives on the 5.0 set at a later time if one wanted the additional resolution or will they not line up?

Thanks.

Chris

Will this upgrade work with the 5.0 gantry kit? It seems that at least the X-carriage plate would need to be different.
    Chris, that option will be available sometime by the end of this week or next.

Also is it possible to use the reduction drives on the 5.0 set at a later time if one wanted the additional resolution or will they not line up?
    Yes, the gear reduction drives will mount to the 5.0 gantry kit.

My Blog

Here is an update of my new router gantry setup that I will be swapping on to my machine... The main purpose for this setup is to increase torsional rigidity of the gantry itself.
    The PCB extrusion looks like IVTAAQ. What box section is it attached to?
    I was able to find comparable pricing for the IVTAAN and AAG.

Chris

Also looking through the Shop Droids site for table sizing info I noticed an addition error.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sizing_error.png  

Today I noticed that the Z axis is no longer showing on the Shop Droids site.

Are you redesigning it, just out of stock, discontinued?

What box section is it attached to?
    My Blog

Also looking through the Shop Droids site for table sizing info I noticed an addition error.
    Thanks for the heads up. LOL, late nights and lack of sleep always equal out to errors... Your second set of numbers in the attachment is wrong but it has all been corrected now...
    My Blog

Today I noticed that the Z axis is no longer showing on the Shop Droids site.

Are you redesigning it, just out of stock, discontinued?
    They are in stock... Storefront had subtracted the stock count and took them offline. This has been corrected.
    My Blog

Your second set of numbers in the attachment is wrong but it has all been corrected now...
    I'm actually quite glad to see that. I didn't really want to have to try and find a 61" piece of extrusion stock.

Chris, that option will be available sometime by the end of this week or next.
    Are you still working on this?

thanks for the g-code

i just bought a cnc machine. totally new to this industry. this is actually my 3rd time using the machine. i think it did a good job, probably with more training i will get better. its a homemade machine from www.buildyourcnc.com THANK YOU for the aztec calender g-code.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20120703_203500.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 1234