586,080 active members*
3,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DM4400 will not initialize

A few moths ago I acquired a DM4400. I made some progress getting it up and going yesterday.

With the machine hooked up to a rotary phase converter, and the key switched to “on” the machine would not initialize when the “on” button was pushed. I followed the trouble shooting flow chart and checked out the items the best I could, and found no apparent problems. Then I manually engaged the main power relay. The computer initialized. I checked turning it off and on via the off / on buttons, the machine shut down and restarted normally. I thought I got lucky and the main power relay had just frozen up, and that by exercising it manually it had freed it up. Then I shut the whole works down, phase converter and all, re powered up, and I was back to square one. Tried operating the main power relay manually, but it would not hold. I checked out the time delay, all the contacts looked good.

Looks like I will be spending some time getting to know the wiring diagram for this machine.

The two things left on the trouble shooting flow chart are a further checkout / bypass of the timer delay, and to check the voltage at “+5/+12/-12 vdc and 55 vdc power supply”.

Has anyone experienced failure of the time delay?

Can someone direct me to where the 55 vdc power supply, I am assuming a transformer is located?

Also are there any other interlocks I should me aware of? The only one mentioned in the flow chart was the door switch. I am thinking there may be an air pressure interlock. I am going to repair the air line next. Sometimes when I hit the “on” button I hear a clicking near where the air line goes in at the spindle. The trouble shooting flow chart did not have that on the list of things to check for start up problems, but I might as well fix it and see if it helps. I will keep my fingers crossed!

As for the RPC I get 120 to ground from 2 legs, and 240 to ground on the 3rd. Between legs I get 240 on 2 sets and 260 at the 3rd set. We put some thought into where we put the high leg. 2 circuits had branches before the main power relay, we put the high leg on the 3rd circuit that did not have a branch prior to the main relay. Is it safe to start moving the high leg around and trying it out? Or am I running the risk of frying electronics?

Martin helped me find the power supplies I was looking for and told me of some issues he has with his machine when it is below 10 deg C.

I have to question, does the machine not power up? Or does the machine not initialize the axis to home position? If it doesn't initilaize the axis, then I'd start with cleaning the position sensors, if so equiped. I have the DM 3000H lathes. I have had problems with both machines not initializing the axis. I took the covers off the position senors. There were some chips under the covers. I cleaned them out, and it was better. I still have to go back in there and take a Q-tip with some oil or solvent to clean any old oil off the sensors.
    Tom

I bought a DM2400 mill a while back and the error code was for a dirty limit switch. I did just as brick said and my mill came to life. Unfortunately I didnt have the software. It has since been converted to a gecko G540.

The problem is that it will not even start up when I push the on button. I have been buisy with other projects lately. when I get back to it I will be tracing wires from "on" button to the main power relay. I suspect an issue with either the main power relay, the time delay, or an interlock

Thanks for your responses

Quote Originally Posted by maddog1927 View Post
    The problem is that it will not even start up when I push the on button. I have been buisy with other projects lately. when I get back to it I will be tracing wires from "on" button to the main power relay. I suspect an issue with either the main power relay, the time delay, or an interlock

Thanks for your responses
    Hello, I´m new in this forum, but i have the same problem with a DM4000, and the problem is a failure in the X stepper board. If I disconect it the machine inizializes. I´m looking for a stepper board 4X00 DM Rev 5, if anyone have one please contact with me
    Thanks

stepper board

hey hey my friend
    did you find your board i do have 5 of it here
    rejean

Quote Originally Posted by JoseGarrido View Post
    Hello, I´m new in this forum, but i have the same problem with a DM4000, and the problem is a failure in the X stepper board. If I disconect it the machine inizializes. I´m looking for a stepper board 4X00 DM Rev 5, if anyone have one please contact with me
    Thanks

PWM SD3060

hey hey dm4000 guys
    i am looking for the number of the transistor in that supply they are on a board in front of those 3 10ohms resistors the big brown cigar one. on mine there is nothing written on it and one is blown up.
    i am doing a retrofit on mine so i have many parts for sale or exchange
    rejean

sd 3060

Sagada,
    I have a manual for the sd 3060, If you require It I can scan and send but it might take a few days to get it done. Note that it does not list and of the components. Will try to lok at that big brown cigar for a part number tomorrow if I get a few minutes to remove unit and take cover off. What parts do you have for sale and are you prepared to ship them to Australia. I would like another axis steeper and another main controller unit (the removable one) as well as the main board (CPU board) also interested in any of the tool changer cards.
    Martin in cold old ossie land
    Old founry men never die they just mould away

sd3060

olfoundryman

many thanks for your answer, i did found the manual on internet and they are not listing the part number, what i am looking is the transistor number in front of those cigar resistor (10 ohms) there is nothing written on it here is 2 photos of the problem ..the diode blown up too i did replace al of them with a diode bridge 50 amps wich is better then the original may be you should do it too.
    as far as parts you can have all you want since my retrofit is almost finish
    i have a dm4000 also wich will be in retrofit as soon as i finish the dm4400 you can have those parts too. i am doing retrofit because the limited line number in programming 999 is small right now i use mach3 on the dm4400 and there is no limitation in programming. if you give me your personnal e-mail i will send you photos of all that, i will make photos of the parts and you tell me wich one you want and i will be glad to send it to australia..
    rejean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   5.jpg  

spare parts

oldfoundry
    here is photos of all the parts i have
    rejean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.jpg   12.jpg   13.jpg   14.jpg  

15.jpg   16.jpg  

sd3060

Sagada,
    Re the 6 diodes in threephase rectifier - yes I had exactly the same problem and I too replaced all 6. I had to make one new Aluminium plate as like yours it was badly burnt and yes I too used 50 amp 1200 volt capable diodes. I think I paid about $19.00 for each diode buit we tend to get ripped off here in Australia for such things!
    Re the transistor specification, a tale of woe I am afraid! As soon as I saw the photo of the offending Transistors I realised that I had allready looked for a part number for someone else who had a similar problem to you. I remembered that they were not marked with a part number, Just to be sure I took the sd3060 out of my dm4400 this afternoon and apart enough to see if anything was written on the transistors all there is is the word "Singapore" which presumabely is where the transistors were made but of no help in identifing them at all. I seem to remember that the other person, who was in Poland from memory, simply put in three new transistors that were of the correct size and tried it out and it worked. He wasn't on this forum but I wll see if I can track him and his messages down as he may have mentioned what Transistor he used. Sorry that I could not be of more help.
    Will PM you re the spares in the next day or two.
    I guess that you are in the French part of Canada My father was born in Agassiz BC
    Its still cold here but I run a die tommorow so beside a hot furmace all day.
    By the way check out your automatic oiler system - the coil of tube around the Y axis ball screw was broken on my DM4400 which meant that all the X and Y axis ballscrews and slide ways were not getting oil also because this broken tube let all the pressure out of the oil system the Z axis screw and slide way wasn't getting any oil either! Also check out all the little T piece oil fittings,they were made from a contaminated Zinc alloy and mine were badly cracked,they fell apart when I tried to retighten them up on new oil tube - had to replace every one of these fittings
    Martin
    Old foundry men never die they just foirget to set thier cores

SD3060

Sagada,
    The other person that I looked at that transistor for was "Gelos" he is in Poland and he was on the Yahoo Dyna forum. From What he says he used part number BU 932 R as a substitute although he mentioned 8 of them not three so I am a bit confused. - It certainly looks to be the same size! (not that size means much) Check it out and if no better info comes up try it. Good Luck and please let me know what happens.
    Martin,

Old foundry men never die they just cool down

BU 932 R

oldfoundry

hey hey very nice that number and many thanks for your time, yesterday i bought a new drive completely newwwwwwwww from minarik model number MM501U ... i do have 2 of those machines a dm4000 without tool changer and a dm4400 like yours, i have been playing $#@$%%&^% on that machine for 4 years now each time i powered it something blown up even the fuse case, and here come a time that a poor soul of man has ^^$$#$%^ he has to make some change so i did a completely retrofit on that machine i am using mach3, it has it's own computer, a new cnckit from pmdx wich is beautifull with gecko drive , all that was left on the machine was the spindle drive and the steppers wich i will change one day when i have extra money so this machine will be like newwwwwww with illimited line number all color software and a touch screen soooooooo
    rejean
    p.s i am the opposite of british columbia i am from montreal quebec

minarik drive

oldfoundryman
    here is a few photos of the new drive minarik a real beauty
    rejean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 632.jpg   633.jpg   634.jpg