586,489 active members*
2,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Testing a new benchtop CNC

After completion of a cnc router build, is there any free software out there
    that will test the operation of all the axis and basically show that everything
    is working. I realize that this can be done by creating the script myself but
    my script writing is not very good and I did not want to reinvent the wheel.

Regards,
    Carl
    Regards, Carl

Mach3 will do it. It has a restriction on line count.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eaglezsoar View Post
    After completion of a cnc router build, is there any free software out there
    that will test the operation of all the axis and basically show that everything
    is working. I realize that this can be done by creating the script myself but
    my script writing is not very good and I did not want to reinvent the wheel.

Regards,
    Carl
    Are you looking for a machine controller program or do you mean a G-code program for the machine controller that tries out a bunch of moves of each axis and returns to 0 when done?

If you need a machine control program try out EMC2 LinuxCNC.org - Home completely free and includes the operating system.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    Are you looking for a machine controller program or do you mean a G-code program for the machine controller that tries out a bunch of moves of each axis and returns to 0 when done?

If you need a machine control program try out EMC2 LinuxCNC.org - Home completely free and includes the operating system.

Mike
    I meant a G-code program for the machine controller that tries out a bunch of moves of each axis and returns to 0 when done. It would run under Mach3.
    Regards, Carl

Mach has a few programs you can load from the Mach3/Gcode folder, the roadrunner is quite popular.
    Also try out the wizards, a simple way to have it spit out some gcode to try out.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

This may be of interest for you:

Break-In Wizard

Dave
    Dave->..

The Breakin Wizard and the other wizards mentioned by Hoss is what I was
    looking for, thanks for the great answers and taking the time to help me.

Regards,
    Carl
    Regards, Carl

CNC "Ball Bar" test?

I'm just starting to learn about CNC machines with the intent to purchase sometime this year for work related to my gunsmithing business.

I was thinking (from the perspective of a former embedded software developer) how to go about verifying that a CNC machine is accurate and (more importantly?), repeatable.

I've been told that my initial thoughts about how to evaluate repeatability are in fact not a good way to test a CNC system and was told about something called a "ball bar test"?

A brain dead google search give a zillion hits like this:

Ballbar testing and ball bar analysis machine service in wisconsin WI | CNC Machinery accuracy testing with renishaw ballbars

Anyone have any first hand knowledge as to whether this approach is a valid or superior method of evaluating a CNC system?

Thanks,
    Mark

Mark,

See attached PDF for more information on ballbar testing.

Jeff...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thank you Jeff.