586,740 active members*
2,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

RFQ for 30 - 60 thousand small aluminum pieces.

I'm sorry I do not have a blueprint. I do have a picture with measurements, and if interested I can also mail a few pieces of the part to you for inspection. The part is used to (crimp) hold together 2 ends of 35-50lb test fishing line.

Quantity Desired - Minimum 20 thousand, Please quote for 20k pieces increments up to 100k pieces, so 20k,40k,60k,80k, 100k pieces.

Delivery- Oakland, CA

The parts in the picture are actually slightly higher quality than we need. Will be happy to send a few pieces of the part for inspection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails size.jpg  

pm sent

This is not a screw machine job, this is a job for a custom extrusion, a band saw or cold saw and one big ass tumbler. That's my take on it anyway. Anybody set up for that?

As an extrusion, these pieces would be maybe about .1 gram each. It would take 10K pieces of the extrusion to make 1 Kg. As far as I know, there is usually a 1000 lb (~450 Kg) minimum for custom extrusions. Thus it would take 4.5 million parts to meet the minimum for an extrusion. Sure would make the job quick and easy though.

Still probably cheaper to go the extrusion route, since there could be way less labor hours involved? That probably makes up for the over-buy?

Probably cheaper to buy the crimp fittings already available on the market.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

No doubt extrusion would be the cheapest, but we may be able to make these at a reasonable price if we knew more dimensions. What is the dimensions of the slot? Send me a PM if your interested.

Thanks for the consideration

We are still looking for premade crimp beads that will do the job, they are incredibly inexpensive, the ones in the picture are actually not from our manufacturering run in the past, but probably more like a custom extrusion job for fishing tackle suppliers. Those pieces cost off the shelf about $3 for 20 or 25 pieces. We found someone last time to do them for a few cents each, which made it worth it to us. I'm going to send samples to a couple of people on the board, and also check with a local machining outfit reccomended by one of you. I appreciate the consideration. One person quoted a price high enough we could have bought some nice machines ourself! That was a bit funny, but not surprising. I would just love to find someone in the US especially that can do this without breaking our bank! Thanks again.

There are some extrusion outfits down in texas that will do 40 ish lb minimums through small, high precision extruders. I think they had a 2 inch circle size, and spec precision was pretty remarkable.

The last time I looked into it, a die for that would be around $ 1,000 - 1,500, plus the metal cost. Their metal cost was a bit higher (double) than the cost from a full size extruder, but of course the run size was smaller too.

The only concern I would have is if the cut process would squish the part.

No, I am not bidding, just watching. I hope it goes to a North America based outfit as well.

by CNC, arround $1 each,but I will try to find some other way to decrease the price.
    do you know the name of this part?Is it possible change material from aluminum to some powder metallurgy material?
    Regards!
    Shen.Ji
    C-Hi-Tech Inc. China

You could also start with a round tube and flatten it

Why are you not just contacting a company that makes these? In the end, the crimps you use will have to be mated to a proper crimping tool. In industrial quantities, that is really the only way to go. What are you crimping them with now?

Industrial crimpers come as matched pairs with specific dies matching a series of proper crimp barrels. They should also offer air-driven tools as well as hand tools to consistently set them. If I had 20,000 crimps to do, I'd darn-well make sure I had an ergonomically friendly tool to set them and if your profit margin is as close as it seems in this RFQ, you can't afford a high scrap rate (failed crimps, failed products in the field, etc).
    Greg

I too am a little curious on what you are using to crimp these. Calling a crimp tool company like Daniels Manufacturing in Orlando may be able to get you the name of someone who makes ferrules like that cheaply. If you dont already have a crimper I know that the basic die engineering fee at Daniels is very cheap considering.

These are fishing line crimps. Most fishermen, would use a standard pair of pliers, instead of buying an expensive set of crimping tools. Every boat probably already has 3-4 pair of pliers anyway

Or, you could use ultrasonic welding being that most fishing line is composed of thermoplastics.

Another method would be to use a bead of photopolymer and cure with UV light. Advancements in UV cured photopolymers these days provide for nearly instant curing.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    These are fishing line crimps. Most fishermen, would use a standard pair of pliers, instead of buying an expensive set of crimping tools.
    Gotcha' but, if this is a production item of some kind (leader, lure or?), they don't want inconsistent or sloppy crimps. Ever notice that your car's electrical connections are 100% uniform and neat? Ever duplicate that with Home Depot crimpers or pliers?
    Greg

You can pick up really really high quality crimp tools on eBay that will basically never break for ridiculously low prices. I bought a DMC HX4 with a die set to crimp RMF-600 (basically a 0.619" hexagon) for like $30. This is a tool frame that would normally be $212 + $100 for the die set.

I see no problem running them on a screw machine and then stamping them flat.
    I can give a good price on this job contact me at...
    briansmachineshop.com

I can give you quote on these parts, please let know if the job is still open?

Sam K
    Cncspec.com

Hi there.

Could you give me all the sizes or drawing, then I'll be able to quote you accordingly.

Please reply at [email protected]

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12