586,036 active members*
3,761 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Disabling single axis on G540

Disabling single axis on G540

Hello guys...

I have the need to disable one drive from a G540 from geckodrive... the LPT port does not give access to the enable pin on the drivers inside the G540.

I was suggested by someone that I could short the current limiting resistor pins to be able to freewheel the stepper motor. Is this a good idea?
    Thanks
    Fernando

Why are you wanting to do this? Maybe there is an alternative way to accomplish what you are after?
    Jeff Birt

How about not hooking a motor to it? It draws minimal current and you just don't send it any steps. There is a disable pin on each G250 drive but you would have to provide manual access (switch, relay, etc) to just that one drive.

Well it is an application on which when the x axis moves in the positive direction the z axis needs to be loose... (freewheeling) when the x positive move finishes I need to lift the Z axis and then move the x axis in a negative direction.

I know the G250s have an enable pin but it is not easily accessible, i would have to open the case and solder a couple of wires...

I have an output on the G540 free, and a relay free inside my control panel, if shorting the current resistor pins works, then I could do it without adding any more components.

Thanks
    Fernando