587,048 active members*
3,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 12 of 22 21011121314
    Quote Originally Posted by woffler View Post
    I have others on a mill for axis drives XYZ and A with harmonic drive and chuck. Hopfully the speed will be as talked about because i sure could use it on the A Axis and lathe drive.:wee:
    Yeah, if we start seeing dmm maintain its awesome price/performance ratio into the larger servos there is the potential to do some really cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    It looks like their new offerings might be more well suited. 5000RPM with 7.2Nm peak stall is a pretty big improvement over their 48V drive.
    The Continuous stall torque should be used as the design criteria.
    The 7.2Nm peak stall torque is a moot value as far as operation is concerned, it is a value you should never reach as this usually is the destruction point of the motor, particularly if it is reached for any length of time.
    And if you have reached it, it usually means the motor is being driven out of control.
    IOW a system that allows the motor to reach this value has essentially lost control of the motor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al_The_Man
    I would be curious to know what the pole count is of the DMM servo's?

Al the motor in the post is 4 pair or 8pole
    Mactec54

For those that are waiting for the new Drive, The Drive it's self is complete, The Injection molded Case is what has been the hold up, But is very close to being finished also, I also have the PDF Manual but is not officially complete

This New AC Servo Drive is powered by 120VAC or 220VAC Input, no other low voltage DC input is needed
    Mactec54

Thanks Mactec54, I can't wait to get a hold of the data.

iknowyoudo

You can PM me with your email & I will send you the PDF for the Drive
    Mactec54

Mactec54,

You rock! Thanks. PM sent.

Why does pole count matter?
    Mactec,you could PM & PDF me the drive please
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

I believe more poles = higher torque. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm much better at running cnc than electrical. I might be giving myself a lot more credit than I deserve. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by iknowyoudo View Post
    I believe more poles = higher torque. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm much better at running cnc than electrical. I might be giving myself a lot more credit than I deserve. lol.
    more poles makes for smoother movement at low speeds. something good in a servo which primarily runs at lower speeds and needs high accuracy of motion. so its not really more torque, but likely better use of it.

a spindle tend to use a low poll motor, since it just spins up to a high speed and stays there.

mactec,
    How about the price? This is most important.

The higher pole count does make for smoother operation, but at a cost of RPM, there is one electrical revolution for every mechanical revolution for each pole pair, so for an 8 pole motor (4 pole pairs) there is 4 electrical revolutions for every mechanical.
    For a 8 pole motor to reach the same rpm of a 2 pole, the frequency would have to increase x4.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al_the_man,What is your opinion on a servo system with DMM servos,the new 110/220 3 phase drives and KFlop and or Kanalog.It appears to be an inexpencive way to close the loop and operate at higher speeds than Mach3
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    Al_the_man,What is your opinion on a servo system with DMM servos,the new 110/220 3 phase drives and KFlop and or Kanalog.It appears to be an inexpencive way to close the loop and operate at higher speeds than Mach3

This is exactly what I am planning to do on my next machine this summer.

The only real drawback is that the DMM system uses absolute encoders which means that you do not have the option of closing the loop on the KFlop without adding incremental encoders. Closing the loop on the KFlop could potentially make a difference since it has far more sophisticated ways of turning the control loop.

I am actually considering using DMM servos + glass slides. By feeding the linear encoder to the KFlop it can compensate for backlash and innacuracies in the ballscrews.

For ~150$ an axis it seems worth a shot.

The New Drive can use Absolute & Incremental Encoders, There is a separate plug on the drive A/A-, B/B-,Z/Z- position signal as the form of Incremental encoder, line number is scalable from 500 to 2048.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

The New Drive can use absolute & Incremental Encoders, There is a separate plug on the drive A/A-, B/B-,Z/Z- position signal as the form of incremental encoder, line number is scalable from 500 to 2048.
    DMM Servos use an SPI interface which looks pretty complicated.

lgalla

A smoothstepper will give you the highspeeds to

PDF in the mail
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    I don't have any experience with DMM equipment.
    If I were to go with Kflop & Kanalog I would use BLDC motors and simpler torque mode amplifiers such as Advanced Motion or Aerotech with ±10v analogue control, the encoders would close the PID loop to Kanalog rather than the drive.
    Another advantage where the loop is closed in the controller opens up the possibility of axis gearing, one off another.
    This would emulate the Galil motion systems I presently use this way.
    Al.

Albert E.

mactec54,
    So we can use smoothstepper. Have you tried compatibility with eding usb cnc, will you try them while in the beginning of new drive? It is good, beside using mach3, we can use another software that maybe better or bad. eding usb cnc seems good but I have not much info. I am using GD VSD e 160 dual drive and Gecko 320 w/PMDX 126, in the future I will use DMM for at least 1 of my machine.

asuratman

Dmm has been using the Plant-CNC with there system, I like the look of the Eding cnc control to but have not used it, Smoothstepper works well with the Dmm Drives plus any ±10v analogue control will work well to
    Mactec54

Page 12 of 22 21011121314