586,106 active members*
3,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Local tool grinder issue

The local tool grinder i use (wish i did not have to) has 3 (insert name here) new cnc tool and cutter grinders. A cnc lathe and mill, and all the regular monosets, number 2's, pratts and sellers etc. But how can their lack of creativity, lack of ability, force me to change my tool design. Just because they cannot hold a shank that is larger than will 1.25 dia.

When i asked why they just don't grind the tool in their cnc grinder, it was like deer in the headlights. Why can't the realize that THEY are not special. They are making a customer specific item. Why are they still using the word "specials"?

Sorry for typos and spelling. Blind with rage. Oh how i wish there was a local grinder that could actually make cutting tools, listen to feedback and improve their company.

Local Tool Grinder issue

Where are you located? I might be able to recommend someone if your
    local

I am located in MN. My new issue, I drew a tool up, had the grinder make it. Being a former manager of a tool shop, I understand what can be done. They DID NOT make it per print. I accepted it cause it worked. So, I re-drew the tool based off the tool THEY made. I sent the new tool print to them as I needed 10 more double ended .375 dia crb tools made. They then tell me they cannot make it per print. WTF is wrong with them!

Someone please help. I just want a semi-local tool grinder that can sharpen a drill. If the drill point sucks, please listen to feedback and lets test it until it works. Have some kind of passion to grind good tools that the industry needs, and NOT charge time and material for EVERYTHING.

Tool Grinder issue

Sorry, cant help you. Im out on the West Coast. Ive been grinding tools for
    the last 37 yrs. and learned from some of the best in the Trade both manual
    and CNC. There are guys out here that call themselves Tool Grinders and cant
    even sharpen a Chisel! I see it all the time and cant believe they keep their
    doors open. They should dig ditches instead but probably couldnt do that right.

agree

I am located in SW Virginia at Industrial Tool Services. Our CNC Jungner Grinder has a CAT 50 taper in the workhead. I have seen several other CNC grinding machines that do not have the ability to hole anything larger than a 5C collet range though.

Our manual grinding machines have various heads mounted to them with many having chucks or CAT 50 openings for larger tooling.

I have on hand a 2 inch CAT 50 holder but a larger one could be easily purchased.

If shipping was not an issue we are always developing new cutting tool designs as well as R&D for small and large manufactures. We have manual and CNC lathes, mills, grinders. Yes I am a tool grinder (for 25 years) and I am proud of the work I do. There are limits to the equipment or software but not to ingenuity. I have even created my own grinding software for the CNC grinder when the factory software can't do what I want. Due to this I have also been working as a Jungner Tech support rep for the North American area.

The trouble with most companies, as you have seen, is that there are very few trained tool grinders. Mostly this is due to the company big wigs that think anyone can crank a handle or push a button. Well trained tool grinders are very hard to find and even fewer that work in a job shop. Most grind one item year round and nothing else. After 25 years I am still learning from others in the trade and always happy to learn new techniques.

Has anyone ever asked themselves why nobody is interested in taking up a trade?

The reason is, when you dumb down the process that formerly was a highly skilled profession, you get monkeys that are capable of pressing the green button when the red light flashes......who wants to be associated or can compete with a monkey for their career calling.

I won't go so far as to say that you are competing in a round about way with a peasant person in China who can and does press green buttons because they get paid more than they get on the family farm.....a dollar a day and a bowl of rice, but with the erosion of your manufacturing base, working for a living in the Engineering trade is considered too much of a hassle when the boss only expects you to press the green button and not to actually think beyond the flashing red light event.

Inadvertently the bosses are your worst enemy, and you have allowed them to accomplish it, they have undermined the need to produce skilled workers because it pays them to have button pushers for the short term.

This is like sticking your head into a bucket and getting instant brain surgery for a dollar....who needs skilled surgeons when dollar bucket solutions do the same thing.

I have heard that you can send a drawing idea to a person in China, and they will design it to manufacturing stage by return post, and if'n you accept the design it gets sent to you by the next post, completed, ready for assembly....what's wrong with that?....I forgot, you only get the price your out of date product will sell for against the Chinese equivalent that is already in the market.
    Ian.

I can relate to what you're saying, saw a lot of weird things in the last few years before retirement. It's almost like people no longer have self respect when it comes to their jobs or trades.

I always kept the customer happy using their dimensions. Sometimes you would have to prod them to get them see their design may not work; but it was always worth a try.

We always had manual T&C grinders, and there wasn't much we couldn't make.

My area has way to many of these kinds of shops. We need one guy with the drive to make it better. I admit, it is not me. A small space with a monoset and an Anca / Walter (whatever).

Thats why we have an in house tool and cutter grind department, for the last 50 years. 1 guy in there now, but the apprentices go through tool and cutter grind, just like I did in 1987. Believe it or not, we actually built custom grinders in there to do our tooling. Been looking and looking for replacement machines but can't seem to find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DIFF OVER View Post
    I am located in MN. My new issue, I drew a tool up, had the grinder make it. Being a former manager of a tool shop, I understand what can be done. They DID NOT make it per print. I accepted it cause it worked. So, I re-drew the tool based off the tool THEY made. I sent the new tool print to them as I needed 10 more double ended .375 dia crb tools made. They then tell me they cannot make it per print. WTF is wrong with them!

Someone please help. I just want a semi-local tool grinder that can sharpen a drill. If the drill point sucks, please listen to feedback and lets test it until it works. Have some kind of passion to grind good tools that the industry needs, and NOT charge time and material for EVERYTHING.

Primary Cutter, Berlin CT. Not local, but quality/service with numerous prints has been great.

Austin Tool and Grinding in Round Rock Texas
    Talk to David or Eldon Jensen, owners
    512-388-2676
    Have been using them for 10 years, it is a father and son shop with brand new walther grinders. 90% of what they do for me is custom forms and their regrind endmills with the futura coating last longer than the originals.
    They ship UPS daily
    Good Luck
    The Farmer