586,104 active members*
3,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Stepster

Stepster

Anyone out there using Stepster as your control program? What do you think of it? How does it compare to TuboCnc?

Quote Originally Posted by teamtexas View Post
    Anyone out there using Stepster as your control program? What do you think of it? How does it compare to TuboCnc?
    I am/was the last maintainer of Stepster - it's dead - I have no time/interest in working on it - heck, the Powerbasic compiler (dos version) I was using to maintain it isn't even loaded on any of my computers anymore

Stepster was an awsome program many years ago.
    It was one of the first programs that made Hobby CNC possible.
    When Turbocnc came out it left Stepster somewhat outclassed because of the 8-Axes controll capability of Turbocnc.
    Other then that I think they where fairly similar.
    Over the years the lack of development have left Stepster fall further back.
    Still I always liked playing around with Stepster the fact that it is written in Basic with sourcecode available for free gives everyone a chance to test if they can improve apon.
    I never had the luxory of having enough time to work all the little bugs out on this program, altho I fixed some.
    It is interesting to see how fast Stepster can run on a modern Computer, to bad Kevin Caroll the original author past away and all work on this great little Program has stoped.

I still use it. In fact it is the only software that I have been successful in using. I have tried EMC2 and Desknc both DOS and Windows based. Nothing works. I built the Hobbycnc driver board a while back of the earlier version and never had a problem. It seems that these other software programs can't find the right pin assignments on the port address.

It is very frustrating and I would appreciate any help with other software. Stepster does not support 4 axis even though Hobbycnc has a 4 Axis driver board.