586,317 active members*
3,282 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Jog shuttle quirk

Recently, I have been on two odd projects that required primarily manual milling. Numerous times the jog shuttle has ceased to function for all axis. This may happen anywhere and it is not related to a limit switch. Usually two clicks on the Reset button brings it back, however most often the interdial for step jogging stays non-functional. While these projects do not require tight tolerances I have bumbled along. The only way to regain the step jogger is a complete restart of the machine and computer and then it does not last!

The only thing I found in the manual that may relate is Appendix 9.6.4.8 "Unexplained stop ...". This paragraph suggest the addition of a Ferrite supressor or a second parallel cable in series.

Has anyone had an experience like or similar to mine? Comments or ideas how to fix?

Ron Moss

I don't have a solution to the problem but I have had similar events. It seems like the communication between the computer and machine is lost. Even MDI commands don't work.
    I record the axis positions, restart Mach3 and re-enter the positions.
    Len

Hi,
    All it takes is an inadvertent press of the spacebar to cause something like this (Feedhold).
    There is no indication that you are in Feedhold other than everything appearing to be "locked up".
    Clear and Reset brings it back.

Hi - I bought a spare jog shuttle, computer and keyboard.. so if I ever have an issue I can more easily eliminate what is not at fault.

Another benifit is that murpheys law dictates that I will now never have any issues. (perhaps I am now tempting fate) !

Hello, I was also having this problem with my series 1 machine.
    What fixed it for me was changing the computer BIOS USB setting to "Full Speed (12Mbps)' instead of "Hi Speed (480Mbps)". Lowering the transfer rate is a common way to help with long cables.
    My shuttle is plugged into port on the keyboard. Then the keyboard needs a extension USB cable to reach the computer. Not that I've measured the total length but I'm guessing it's over 10'.
    Tormach PCNC1100, Mach 3 R3.043.037, MastercamX5 level 3.

I have the same problem with my pcnc 770 and the shuttle pro. I will try your suggestion btu44.

I get issues like this when working manually between the Shuttle Jogger and inputting of commands in the MDI.

Not so much the RESET button or even the E-Stop then RESET... I find that if you click the STOP key in Mach3 it corrects this and all motion comes back.

Just Click STOP with the mouse, and continue on.