586,077 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

renishaw probe tip

hello,

anyone know if there is one variable that controls probe tip size, Im getting different results, up to .005 on diameter when running a bore check, even after calibrating several times, does the calibration cycle overide tip size? thx

My book says Setting 63 for probe width. I think the calibration that you're talking about is for location rather than size. Accounts for the probe not being absolutely on centerline with the spindle.

Probably wrong. Just checked my setting 63. It's at zero. I don't check dimensions, just locations. For you probe gurus, should I put my probe diameter here anyway? Running like this for 3 years. Set up by Haas tech when the machine was set up. Love the probe.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite2 View Post
    hello,

anyone know if there is one variable that controls probe tip size, Im getting different results, up to .005 on diameter when running a bore check, even after calibrating several times, does the calibration cycle overide tip size? thx
    is the probe tip tight in the probe? I had mine come loose after I first got it

Have you taken your probe out of the spindle?

If you do not put it back in the way it was calibrated you will get errors.

In the IPS screen for probe calibration it should have the probe tip size.

Tim

you say up to .005 off.... if a probe is not repeating to within what you would expect your machine to hold don't use it until you figure out why it is not repeating. if it is off .005 every time it is a calibration issue. if it is not repeatable it can be a probe or machine problem. more than likely a loose stylus or loose probe to shank. running a ballbar diagnostic check or cutting a circle and having the form, size, and position measured on a cmm and comparing it to some other feature cut on the same part should give you an idea of how the machine is performing. make sure everything is tight and recalibrate.

The diameter has to be in some variable. I'll second what the others said, check that it always goes in the same way (and the spindle is oriented). I ended up leaving the probe always on as T1 to make sure of that

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Probably wrong. Just checked my setting 63. It's at zero. I don't check dimensions, just locations. For you probe gurus, should I put my probe diameter here anyway? Running like this for 3 years. Set up by Haas tech when the machine was set up. Love the probe.
    The diameter of your probe IS set, otherwise you wouldn't even be able to check locations. The probe touches with the side and compensates for the diameter (radius actually).

Are you using the WIPS option? (Either VQC Probing Cycles or IPS?)

If so, variable #161 (base variable for probing data) will probably be set to 556.

In which case the diameter offsets are held in variables #556 & #557 (X & Y rads set by subprogram 9803) and the positional offsets are held in #558 & #559 (X & Y posns set by subprogram 9802).

Of course if #161 - something else, the variables will be different.
    #556 & #557 radius values should always be fractionally undersize of the radius of the spindle probe tip as the probe is moving at the point in which it measures.

Quote Originally Posted by nian_id View Post
    The diameter of your probe IS set, otherwise you wouldn't even be able to check locations. The probe touches with the side and compensates for the diameter (radius actually).
    Excellent point. I wasn't thinking about any probe cycle but bore. OK. My book says setting 63 but that is at zero. Where is the tip diameter set?...Just checked guypb's answer. He's right. #556 and #557 has the radius of the tip. Interestingly #557 is .00005 larger than #556.
    Thanks

I don't think the 'Diameter' is stored anywhere. That's because the diameter is totally irrelevant to how the probe works. During calibration, it's not only taking into account any out of concentricity present in the probe and centering but, also the switch trip-points.

There may be a theoretical (calculated) diameter stored somewhere but, it would be calculated based on the clocking of the probe and the calculated diameter (not necessarily the diameter you might measure on the ruby with a micrometer).

Bottom line: when things seem flaky, I rerun all three calibration programs from start to finish and everything is usually fine. All of this diameter nonsense is calculated based on your ring gauge or other 'known' bore. Make sure that reference is accurate and truly round.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Interestingly #557 is .00005 larger than #556.
    Thanks
    That is due to something called "pre-travel variation" where the forces on the tip differ between X & Y axis so there is a slight bending moment on the stylus which can lead to difference in values (but very very small!!!)
    This is why it is so important to get the orientation of the probe right if you take it out of the machine and put it back in again.

Thanks guys. I hope that kwhite2 got the answer he was looking for too.

thanks guys, calibration and orientation are the key factors I found, thanks for the help, happy holidays

Before you calibrate the probe go to the MDI screen and hit "orient spindle". This will orient the spindle correctly. Now put the probe in the spindle and make a note which side of the probe is facing you. Whenever you install your probe it's important to hit spindle orient before putting the probe in the spindle. It's also important to always have the same side of the probe facing you.

If you don't do this the internal corrections the probe makes during the calibration sequence to compensate for the ball not being exactly positioned will be 180 degrees off. This will give you problems like what you are describing.

Vern

I have loaded probe in same position everytime, I have got the runout in the the probe within .0002, I run calibration programs 9804 to set stylus, and no matter what I do from the above mentioned I still am off +.007 when I check a known diameter, off meaning showing .007 big from actual, using #188????

Probe Calibration

Hi kwhite2,

I would give the Renishaw Technical Support a call. I think you will find them more than able to help you sort this out. They have always been very helpful to me.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite2 View Post
    I have loaded probe in same position everytime, I have got the runout in the the probe within .0002, I run calibration programs 9804 to set stylus, and no matter what I do from the above mentioned I still am off +.007 when I check a known diameter, off meaning showing .007 big from actual, using #188????
    So you are calibrating off a known diameter right? What if you remeasure the calibration diameter using 9814 bore cycle, what do you get in #188? If you are getting a discrepancy between calibration and measurement on THE SAME DIAMETER with no tool change, orientation etc.. in between then there is some deeper issue at play.

Are you using 9814 or 9823 when you get the +.007 discrepancy?

when i run calibration, it doesn't give me diameter in #188, I then go back and check it using 9814 and thats when the size difference shows up in #188, using a known dia/set ring. I probably need to call renishaw tech.