586,062 active members*
4,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Type of Equipment

Just trying to get some input and ideas on the type of computer systems and wide format printers you are using to do D size drawings. I have POS vista system that cost 499.00 at best buy. after your assembly gets more than 6 parts it takes forever to save and open to modify. was looking at HP 24" wide printers but found nice looking Epson in the under 3 grand range. also what processors and how much ram, and do you really need 2 or 3 monitors? was looking at Dell 7500 work station and some of the HP towers. also 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 and what is difference in ultimate and professional? will probably only have Alibre loaded on this machine no book keeping or games.
    Thank You
    The Farmer.

Work spot organization

I have to use Alibre in two locations. At one site I have a desk and space while at the other I mostly work off my lap. I addressed this with a high end laptop, 64 bit fast CPU and 6 Gig of memory. At the desk I have a docking station with a wide high resolution display, so that when I’m there Alibre runs off the laptop but has two displays. When I’m here Alibre is still on the same laptop but I only have the laptop’s display. It is much more effective to have the two displays. Invariably I want multiple parts open for review while I am making a drawing. When I don’t have the two displays I often have to create and print a drawing just to have dimensions and details available while I work on mating things. You can jump between open but overlaid windows but I find that is very hard.

As for a D size printer, I don’t have one. I’ve only wanted a big print once and I did it by exporting the drawing, passing it through a freeware product called Easy Poster Printer so that the drawing was printed as 4 or 6 A sizes (8.5 x 11) that could be taped together as the big print. Since I don’t have the space for a big printer I’ve never considered one, but if I had the space and had to decide between a big printer or a big second display I’d go with the display every time.