586,114 active members*
3,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Unusual old hurco on ebay

Unusual old hurco on ebay

Link

Just curious as I've never seen one like this before and couldn't find any reference to it with a quick search. Looks like a big brother of my old MD3, but with a sidemount changer.

Anyone know anything about it?

MC15. Hugely powerful 50 taper version of the MC10. Geared head, cut P20 like butter. There were only four came into the UK, three went out to Europe, (Switzerland if I remember correctly). That one went originally to Addis to make big mould tools and then went to A.H. Austin in Haverhill before being sold on. I've only ever worked on it twice after doing the original assembly on it. They were great machines originally.

Interesting, thanks. Do you have any specs on it?

I'll have a bit of a dig round and see if I can find something.

I own a Hurco MC15 (fantastic machine but currently with control probklems, running Ultimax 2) and am trying to get hold of any original manuals and circuit diagrams to buy or copy - or direct advice or service - can anyone help ?? - any support or advice gratefully received, Pete

Where are ya, Pete?

Hi, great to hear from you - i saw your original post in May 2011 and wondered if you might be an Ex Hurco Employee.

Me and Posthouse Engineering are in Devon - the machine is currently in storage in Sheffield, but is fully connected and can be run and worked on with advance notice.

This is the original machine that came out of Addis - it ended up at Limavady Gear Co in NI, and i think was sold off when they were taken over, when i brought it from the holding dealers.

I can get very little info and no literature from Hurco in the US or UK (although have got an Ultimax 2 Prog'/Op Manual) - Do you know these rare beasts ?? - Pete

I have worked on that machine in the past. I did the original fitting on it around 1987-ish. I still work for Hurco now. I didn't bring my laptop home this weekend but I do have some manuals for the older controls. What issues are you having with the machine?

Thanks for the reply - will put some brief notes together asap. It is an amazing old machine, you just don't get bed mills of this table size - with this kind of mass or stiffness any more, it would be great to get it sorted.

They were a really good machine. I remember the first cut we did on one - 10mil depth on a 6 inch cutter. Chips were deep blue and it didn't sound like it was even trying yet...

OK - I'll try and keep this relevant: MC15 running Ultimax 2 - probably hasn't run for 2 years, i was honestly advised by last owner, he had seen it running but new it had graphics problems. it has been moved twice since then and has been stored responsibly. On careful visual inspection prior to first connection to power, no visual evidence of damage, overheating or bad smells was evident in either the HT side or the control side of the rear cabinet or the Control console. There are floppy discs in both drives on the back of the control cabinet and the side drive in the control console (the data protection key is missing but is switched to the "unprotected position")

Power was connected after compressed air run up to pressure - both rear emergency (ATC) and control console "stop switches" were up - rear cabinet main switch was turned on (spindle head cooling fan started up and ran) machine was left for five mins to warm through, no smells or relay chatter was heard - graphics screen did not come on / text screen has flashing cursor in bottom left hand corner but nothing else.

Power On pushbutton was depressed and illuminates while "down" - but will not "latch" and remain on - On checking rear cabinet control side, (the top) relay control board only shows three of the four green LEDs "lit" and the top one remains off, (apologies didn't write down the idend on it) when the Power On button is held down.

(NB - Table and head position are mid point - so no position limit switches are parked on) - as no text was visible - Power on push button and start button were depressed together, again Power On did not latch.

Clearly loads to do, so any ideas or pointers would be welcome - i was hoping to be able to run up table motion / spindle power manually - and then to try and resolve the Ultimax control issues after.

First thing I'd do would be to pop all of the boards out of their slots in the card rack and re-seat them. See if that changes the fault.

Great advice (wish i thought to do it anyway) probably wont get up to see it again for a couple off weeks but will let you know - just out of interest, i always thought they were called MC15 - because they were 15HP at the main spindle ? do you know is that's correct ?
    ?

MC15 - December - just a quick update - to many issues with the original control console - so had a totaly new - complete console with later and updated video cards built in the USA, also checked all the cards in the rack as suggested. I now have full text and path graphics on both screens and just a couple of minor fault codes that i will try and sort on the next visit.

Also a Hurco CNC Company in the US have found a set of complete and relevant circuit diagrams (except for the ATC) and an original BMC10 Op Manual that i would guess would cover most of the operational questions ? (already have the complete Ultimax 2 manual), spent the last couple of months in general refurb and cleaning up and sorting Pheumatics etc.

Every time i work with this old machine i know buying it was the right thing to do - it's a beast.

NB - Mr Bloke, considering your history with this machine - any chance when the refurb is complete, you would be interseted to take a look over it with us ?