586,096 active members*
3,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Videos > Can I make a small suggestion?

Wink Can I make a small suggestion?

Would it be possible for those making a video of their machine cutting something to take a couple of extra seconds to show the finished part? To be quite honest, a CNC machine is a CNC machine. If the intent of the video is to show off the machine, maybe it is best to not have it cutting something. Too many times I find a video of a CNC machine machining a very cool object (I suspect), only to wait around for x minutes, seeing the machine make its final cut and then... Nothing... Video over.

I know this comes across as a rant, and I apologize for this, but too many times I've watched x minutes of a cutter following a tool path only to be rewarded with a replay button in a black rectangle that was a video.

AYE!:idea::idea:
    And use a tripod
    :cheers:

A tripod is nice sometimes, but I can see it being a limiting factor, especially if the intent of the video is to show off the machine.

However, if you are cutting something with your machine, it is perfectly reasonable for the viewer to expect to see the finished part.

And leave out the wiggly shot of the Mach 3 screen! Unless the video is about Mach 3 itself of course. If there is a point for showing the screen, at least tell us what we should be looking at.

Ooh ooh, and no air cutting the road runner! Really cut the blasted thing.

Could there be a reason the finished part is absent? I visit a local machine shop occasionally, mainly to see what they are running on their HAAS VF-2. It's cool to see the table in front of it full with complicated parts, some ready to go in, some that just came out. Then I go check out the actual running process, never a let down at that shop! Appetizer, main entree, and dessert.

Talking I'll show the machine!

Here is the machine repairing itself.

SX3 Spindle nose grinding pictures by neilw20_2008 - Photobucket

and the result.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SX3 Spindle Ground True.jpg  
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahcnc View Post
    Could there be a reason the finished part is absent?
    Typically, I would have to say no. On the videos I have seen, as soon as the machine is done or shortly before it is done, the camera is cut off.

I've seen plenty of CNC machined parts come out of a machine with an explanation of what went wrong to cause obvious imperfections, be it programming, machine, or operator error. All three of which have added to my experience ., which I would rather not have in a video.

Jim

wonderfull suggestion