586,523 active members*
3,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > SPG 2217-20lv Milling/Drilling Machine (BF20)

Threaded View

SPG 2217-20lv Milling/Drilling Machine (BF20)

I thought i would start a thread on my conversion of the SPG 2217 20lv machine.

This is my second machine that i am converting as i have already CNC'd an X1, but his will be the first with Ball Screws.

i used SPG as they were the cheapest and most convenient and £800 delivered was a good deal. i did considered an X3 but the volume and quality is far inferior in my opinion and was a lot more expensive.

I went for the MT2 machine as i have tooling in that size and was the one available.

here is the link to the machines supplier SPG TOOLS - Lathes, Mills and Tools for Model Engineers

heres the un-boxed machine

I always new that the clearances on this machine was tight but the X axis is the worst. I am planning on using 16mm dia 5mm pitch screws on the X and Y but 25mm x 5mm on the Z.

Here the table clearance issue.

The standard screws are 16mm and the clearance above is 2.5mm and 5mm bellow so to squeeze the ball nut i am going to mill a slot in the saddle and mount the nut on the out side of the saddle. As per the photo's.

I will also have to modify the ball nut by grinding the top flush to the rest of the nut.

Z axis should be a little more straight forwards as there appears to be no clearance issues.

And here is the current cad progress.

CNC wise i am going to go for the G540 with 3 23 steppers and 1 34 for the Z. The 381ozin on the X and Y should be more than enough and 900 ozin for the Z. Longrat is running the bigger brother to this machine with just over 420ozin on the x and Y.

And before any one say anything about the scheme i got a very good deal on sky hooks and that how i am going to mount the motors.

I have also included the pdf of the screw order. The 600mm one is for my lathe so ignore.
    Attached Files Attached Files