586,100 active members*
2,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 upgrade question: LMS metal gear kit, belt drive conversion, or both?

X2 upgrade question: LMS metal gear kit, belt drive conversion, or both?

I'm probably going to get a Harbor Freight 44991 mini mill (X2) soon.

I will start out using it as a manual mill. Later on I will want to convert it to CNC.

I have read about problems with breakage of the plastic gears, so I have been considering replacing the stock gears with the LMS metal gear kit: LittleMachineShop.com - Metal Transmission Gear Kit, R8 Mini Mill

However I have also been looking into doing a belt-drive conversion using the LMS kit, in order to take advantage of higher spindle speeds: LittleMachineShop.com - Belt Drive Conversion Kit, Mini Mill

I'm a bit confused, though. Does the belt drive kit completely replace the plastic gears? Or do I need to get both the metal gear kit and the belt drive kit?

I put the belt mod on my machine. I removed all the gears and the
    machine is much quieter when it is running. My machine is a Grizzly
    and I removed the gears as part of spindle change from 3MT to R8.

No need for any gears if you put the belt drive on.

RWW
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
    who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thanks for the info...

I've been pricing all of the add-ons that I will want/need to get started (milling vise, TTS tool holders and collet, better drill chuck, clamps, end mill set and the like), and I'd rather not spend extra money on the gears if I can go directly to the belt drive (even if it is more expensive up front).

If you are looking for a starter kit, I did a little write up here about the LMS R8 tooling pakage. So far it has served me well, depending on what you are going to be using your mill for.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    If you are looking for a starter kit, I did a little write up here about the LMS R8 tooling pakage. So far it has served me well, depending on what you are going to be using your mill for.
    Good info... I was thinking of getting the starter kit from LMS, but I already have a couple of sets of parallels, and I decided to go with the TTS instead of with a collet kit, plus I wanted HSS end mills instead of Tin-coated ones, so I spec'ed out my own version of the starter kit piece by piece.

While I do have some firearms-related projects in mind, I have a lot to learn before I'm ready to put a receiver anywhere near an end mill...

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    Good info... I was thinking of getting the starter kit from LMS, but I already have a couple of sets of parallels, and I decided to go with the TTS instead of with a collet kit, plus I wanted HSS end mills instead of Tin-coated ones, so I spec'ed out my own version of the starter kit piece by piece.

While I do have some firearms-related projects in mind, I have a lot to learn before I'm ready to put a receiver anywhere near an end mill...
    I looked at a ton of different parts and finally just decided that the LMS kit was the easiest to do. I would have liked so different things but in the end, it serves me well. I will sell some stuff for upgrade later.
    As far as belt drive, check out www.benchtopprecision.com. Scott is starleper1 here and sells what looks to be a nice belt drive. I think LMS is back ordered right now and more expensive. I just e-mailed Scott last night and he got back to me first thing this morn.

I was not aware of that other belt drive kit, thanks for mentioning it...

I was not aware of that other belt drive kit, thanks for mentioning it...
    I am pretty sure I have heard that sterling makes the LMS kit, you may check them out also. I don't have a link handy right now. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you or anyone else from LMS, I have had good service the one time I have dealt with them, I am just cheap and if I can get the same thing for cheaper I will.

From memory, the LMS kit has a single speed, while the sterling kit has two speeds. Other than that, they're almost identical.

EDIT: That's incorrect. As Hoss states, they're the same kit. There is a single speed belt drive kit made by Bench Top Precision. That is what I was thinking of.
    http://www.benchtopprecision.com/x2_accessories.html

I also got the LMS starter kit, and it's served me well. I'm slowly replacing it with better quality items as I go. Some of the items didn't last, such as the calipers and the chinese end mills. Others will serve me for decades, such as the 123 blocks and clamping kit.

And I wish I had bought Tormach tool holders much sooner. You won't regret getting a set.

Fred

The Sterling Steele and the LMS belt drives are 2 speed and one and the same. Note the same pic.
    If you're capable, you can make your own.
    Projects 6
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    ...If you're capable, you can make your own...
    Projects 6
    Hoss
    Why did I have a feeling Hoss would jump in with great info, some of us just don't have the great toys that he does (wish I did some days). If you don't, the e-mail I sent starleper1 asked if he sold the pulleys separate and he does. I can make the brackets but not the pulley.

Thanks, Hoss...

Your site is an inspiration and a great reference, but I don't yet have the experience or tools to fabricate that belt drive conversion by myself.

I just placed my order for the Harbor Freight #44991 mini mill. The New Year's Day 25% off coupon was enough of an incentive for me to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Next decision is whether to get LMS 3" precision milling vise (heavy) shown at LittleMachineShop.com - Vise, 3" Precision Milling, Heavy for $99.95, or the Shars 3 x 3.200" Lock Down Precision Milling Machine Vise with Swivel Base shown at shars.com - 3 x 3200quot Lock Down Precision Milling Machine Vise with Swivel Base for $69.95, or something else. I wonder whether they may be the identical part made by the same manufacturer...

One more question - LMS has a vise mounting kit for $9.95: LittleMachineShop.com - Vise Mounting Kit Just wondering - aren't all of those parts (with the possible exception of the washers) available within the 7/16" T-slot clamping kit at LittleMachineShop.com - Clamping Kit, 7/16" T-Slot? Or, is it worthwhile to get the vise mounting kit just because the parts in the kit are likely to be used (semi-)permanently, without tying up some of the parts from the clamping kit?

Thanks, Hoss...

Your site is an inspiration and a great reference, but I don't yet have the experience or tools to fabricate that belt drive conversion by myself.

I just placed my order for the Harbor Freight #44991 mini mill. The New Year's Day 25% off coupon was enough of an incentive for me to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Next decision is whether to get LMS 3" precision milling vise (heavy) shown at LittleMachineShop.com - Vise, 3" Precision Milling, Heavy for $99.95, or the Shars 3 x 3.200" Lock Down Precision Milling Machine Vise with Swivel Base shown at shars.com - 3 x 3200quot Lock Down Precision Milling Machine Vise with Swivel Base for $69.95, or something else. I wonder whether they may be the identical part made by the same manufacturer...

One more question - LMS has a vise mounting kit for $9.95: LittleMachineShop.com - Vise Mounting Kit Just wondering - aren't all of those parts (with the possible exception of the washers) available within the 7/16" T-slot clamping kit at LittleMachineShop.com - Clamping Kit, 7/16" T-Slot? Or, is it worthwhile to get the vise mounting kit just because the parts in the kit are likely to be used (semi-)permanently, without tying up some of the parts from the clamping kit?
    I am new to all of this but have gone a step ahead of you in this so I will give you my .02. First the vises are not the same I don't believe. I have the LMS 3" and it has been a sturdy well built vise so far. The casting is cleaner than the Shars and it has a little copper pointer for the angle (fairly worthless in my opinion) it bends if the vise is not on the base. I looked at the Shars and would probably try it out. I didn't get a full 3" jaw opening on the LMS.

The vise clamp kit came with mine but I would have made it myself if I didn't have it. You can use the stuff from the 7/16" kit but depending on your use, the nuts get used real quick. I am sure you can find or someone can lead you to a supply of threaded rod and nuts and you can machine the t-slot. On the other hand, $10 is easy too. Either way, I wouldn't tie up any of the table clamps.

I forgot to mention, Shars is Discount Machine on ebay. Check out the vise there as it seems to be a little cheaper, most of there stuff is.

Steele is no longer making the kit and LMS not yet started manufacturing, so I just have a question: would it work if I bought these Step-Cone V-Belt Pulleys from McMaster Carr, bored the large one for spindle and turned the 4th pulley on the large one down into a shank to get 3x speed setup? What diameter are the LMS/Steele pulleys anyway? I know 3x speed could be an overkill but it warms my heart to know that I have extra felxibility.

6213K71 for motor pulley
    6213K76 or 6213K78 for spindle pulley

Oh, just noticed those are Zinc, not Al... Are they suitable for belt convercion of a mini mill at all?