586,072 active members*
4,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Multiple Similar Profiles - CNC Turning SolidCAM

Multiple Similar Profiles - CNC Turning SolidCAM

Hello,

I am fairly new to SolidCAM and have been using it to CNC Turn some pieces on my EMCO CNC5 lathe.

I have a 50 odd pieces that i need to turn for a project. They are all similar in size but each one has a different profile. Take a look at the image below to see 3 examples profiles (A, B, C) out of the 50.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to efficiently program this job as I don't really want to set up a new part/file for each part in turn. I'd rather have all the profiles in one file as different sketches or configurations and use the same machining steps and tools for each one in succession.

How should I arrange these profiles, in which file, and how should I call each one up in SolidCAM? Or is there a better way?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Probably the easiest way would be to generate CAM jobs for each profile and then suppress the ones not required before posting out. Alternatively, you can create geometries for each profile and then select the desired geometry in each of the CAM jobs before posting. Either of these approaches will do the job.

Hey Bob, thanks for your reply.

Sorry to be slow, but what exactly do you mean by CAM job? Do you mean CAM Operation?

I must admit that I'm not really getting to grips with how SolidCAM handles files / configurations etc vs Solidworks (within which I very much understand it!). E.g. where are the Operations stored? In the prt file, or the Assembly file? Also, what is the idea behind having both a design model and a CAM model, which one can I modify, to, for example allow for clamps / jigging?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakeman Bob View Post
    Probably the easiest way would be to generate CAM jobs for each profile and then suppress the ones not required before posting out. Alternatively, you can create geometries for each profile and then select the desired geometry in each of the CAM jobs before posting. Either of these approaches will do the job.

Ok Chris, by CAM Job I mean one operation in the Job Tree, that being where all you CAM Jobs for that particular part are located - like the Feature Tree in SolidWorks.

When you create a new CAM part, SolidCAM creates a clone of the part (which I call the "seedpart") you want to program and calls it the "DesignPart", storing it in a SolidWorks Assembly along with another part SolidCAM creates called,logically enough, the "CAM part". I call this assembly "the main Assembly". This CAM part is the place to create sketches, surfaces etc that you need when programming; you can create sketches in the top level of the assembly but if you have big complex parts like I do it don't half slow down SolidWorks as they get rebuilt every time you make a change. Another thing that gets put in the CAM part is any geometry sketches (with their MAC co-ordinate reference) that you create by expanding the Job Tree, selecting a Geometry then right-clicking and selecting "Generate Sketch from Geometry". I find this feature most useful at times.

For clamps, fixtures etc. I model them up and keep them in a fixture library, drawing on them when needed and adding them to the main Assembly. A word of caution here - once you have added the fixtures to the main assembly CLOSE DOWN THE ORIGINALS WITHOUT SAVING. This is because SolidCAM has a nasty habit of rewriting all the references of parts used in the main assembly so that your originals are now referenced to the clones that SolidCAM created in in the folder for that CAM part.

However, things get complicated when it comes to Turning (and you'll have to bear with me as the SolidCAM turning module is not my strong point). When you define a CAM part in the turning and you select "envelope" or "outline" for the target geometry SOlidCAM puts the resulting skech in the CAM part. It is also the place where the Stock sketch ought to live, whether you have draw it yourself or SolidCAM did if you selected one of the auto stock options.

This is the beginning of a very big subject

The PRT file is simply a file that lists all the references to the main assembly and tracks if any changes are made to the Seed Part thus forcing a synchronisation.