586,069 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > VMC 1050 won't move any axes

VMC 1050 won't move any axes

We received a 1993 Tree VMC-1050 from a local company, donated to our high school shop. The machine worked fine prior to us receiving it (I verified) but once it was delivered, we had to have a bunch of breakers switched to be CSA certified for safety reasons (mandatory for ESA). All of the work was completed, and now I cannot get the machine to move any axis in jog mode to begin to reference the machine. Myself and the electrician have been over the electrical a bunch of times and can't seem to figure it out. The only fault message I have on the screen is Axes need to be referenced. The procedure I have used so far has been this:

1. Turn on power
    2. Press Reset and then pressed start button
    3. Select JOG from menu and 1 or 2 for slow or medium continuous jog
    4. Have tried to toggle X, Y & Z axes + and - directions, and all instances give me the same issue. Nothing moves and the control gives me the error message blinking screen. When I go to the fault screen, all that is on there is Axes need to be referenced. ANY IDEAS?? I want to get this thing up and running! Thanks for any help.

manualy push the home switches to see if that clears the error code ... if it does re-home the machine ... make sure you aren't on a limit switch

The dreaded 1050. Most likely cause is the magazine (tool drum) in not in the rear or home position.

Second is no air pressure.

Did you here the machine kick on when you hit start. Should hear contactors latch in. If you didn't, an axis may be on a limit. there are small "doors" you put a long wrench in to and turn the axis off the limit with the wrench.

I think you should look into the ATC home position signal, if the ATC home position not made than all three axis can't be move

Ahn Vuong

What is the ATC home signal?

It is an automatic tool changer home position
    is your VMC with ATC?
    Ahn Vuong

Quote Originally Posted by puds View Post
    What is the ATC home signal?
    Again, did you here it power up when you pushed start? The only ATC home is the magazine in the back position. Tree had changed the proms on most of the machines to automatically drive the magazine home once you hit start on power up. If not, you need to manually activate the air solenoids to bring it back. They are right above the actual tool magazine, very easy to get to.

Before powering up open the left side door and manually cycle the the little white lever 90 degrees and turn it back. There are two "levers" above the magazine on the pneumatic assembly.
    Cycle the upper one.
    The magazine should "clunk" back to home position.
    Power up main power. Power on control. power on again(energizes servos).
    You should be good to go.
    Also check way lube level- machine won't budge when low.
    Wont budge if you power up overtraveled either.

Tried/checked all things and still the same. Machine powers up (latches) on start button push, tried cycling the pneumatic valves for the tool changer cylinder and still nothing. Still the same two errors:

1. Axes need to be referenced
    2. Magazine # 1 not referenced

HELP!

Try going to the jog page, going to ref return, then hit cycle start. That should pull the ATC back, start the axis homing sequence, then the magazine sequence. If you here it latch on, it's not in overtravel.

Tried it and as soon as I hit cycle start, it flashed the error screen and showed me the same two faults again. The tool changer does appear to be all the way back and the switch is activated on the top of the unit (roller style limit switch).

Is the feedrate overide knob turned up ?

Will check it and try again.

Tried all suggestions, still nothing. Anybody have anything else I should check???

If you are against the limit switches nothing will move. Go into reference mode, push and hold reset, and then move away from limits. Release and press reset for each axis.

Puds,

This might be stupid but you never know.

When I read your first post you said: 1. press reset 2. press start then jog

On some machines in order to shut down the servos you push the emergency stop button. So the order should be. 1. Reset emergency stop button 2. press reset then jog.

Hope it is that simple.

1993 TREE VMC 1060

Quote Originally Posted by maz43 View Post
    Before powering up open the left side door and manually cycle the the little white lever 90 degrees and turn it back. There are two "levers" above the magazine on the pneumatic assembly.
    Cycle the upper one.
    The magazine should "clunk" back to home position.
    Power up main power. Power on control. power on again(energizes servos).
    You should be good to go.
    Also check way lube level- machine won't budge when low.
    Wont budge if you power up overtraveled either.
    this will be the same process when you get alarms:
    -carrusel drive not powered up
    -carrusel not reference
    -carrusel alarm
    also with this alarms I can move the axes and reference the machine
    but not turning the spindle on or oriented, this is the reason or maybe something that Iam doing wrong, because this is the first time that I run this
    machines and control.
    Thanks

What is the process when you get this alarms?
    -carrusel drive not powered up
    -carrusel not reference
    -carrusel alarm
    also with this alarms I can move the axes and reference the machine
    but not turning the spindle on or oriented, this is the reason or maybe something that Iam doing wrong, because this is the first time that I run this
    machines and control.
    Thanks

Hey puds,
    where in Canada are you located, I may be able to help if your nearby.
    I spent alot of time fixing one of these machines.

on my vmc 840, i have to hit the yellow switch on the back of the air switch mounted on the carosel if its out a little bit. that sucks it back in to zero, and then allows me to move the axis's and then to reference zero and cycle start