586,416 active members*
3,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Plate Beveling round holes? Plasma or Oxy/fuel

Plate Beveling round holes? Plasma or Oxy/fuel

Does anyone have experience with round beveling of holes cut with manual circle burner type machines, or possibly interfaced with a CNC controller? I am looking to find or design a bevel attachment for small holes (plowbolt holes, 1/2 to 1-1/2 w/sq hole and round countersink). I know the big cutters have those monster bevel head attachments but are super pricey.

I have seen "circle burners" and they are close but big for what I need. I believe I would need a max "throw" of 6" or so. There is a lot of math involved in cutting bevels, angles, rise, fall, outer dim, inner dim. I would need to do 82º bevels. I could use plasma or oxy/fuel.

Here is a pic of a round hole, round bevel that would be similar.

Thanks for any input!
    WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails torch beveled hole sample.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

5 axis

For beveling, I think you must have 5 axis machine. I saw demo video using 5 axis waterjet jetedge. I have same question before due to I need long bevel plate for welding purpose. Best result only with 5 axis to do that. If you have another way let me know.

Industrial cnc plasma bevelers have been around for many years...they are generally pretty large machines, and rather expensive as well. Recent developments are producing smaller machines with great capability. Hypertherm has been producing industrial grade plasma torches with special beveling consumables for over 20 years as wel.

Here is a you-tube video link for an AKS plasma bevelling machine, using a Hypertherm HPR260xd plasma....I believe you can also find links for other major manufacturers such as Messer, Koike, Esab, and others.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj1AePuzhNs"]YouTube - AKS Plasma Bevel Head[/nomedia]

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    Does anyone have experience with round beveling of holes cut with manual circle burner type machines, or possibly interfaced with a CNC controller? I am looking to find or design a bevel attachment for small holes (plowbolt holes, 1/2 to 1-1/2 w/sq hole and round countersink). I know the big cutters have those monster bevel head attachments but are super pricey.

I have seen "circle burners" and they are close but big for what I need. I believe I would need a max "throw" of 6" or so. There is a lot of math involved in cutting bevels, angles, rise, fall, outer dim, inner dim. I would need to do 82º bevels. I could use plasma or oxy/fuel.

Here is a pic of a round hole, round bevel that would be similar.

Thanks for any input!
    WSS

Jim, Those are awesome machines. I looked at the next vid of the messer running the big 400 Hypertherm. That is quite a show. Amazing movement, those machines move more like a hydraulic system than servos. It is an amzing time we live in. My Grandmother remembered the first "wireless" radio. I loved to show her videos like this.

I am hoping for something simpler and more manual. This may be posted on the wrong tye of forum entirely as it would be a manual 90vdc motor with a turnpot to adjust the speed, not CNC at all.

I found another pic of a new style from Bug-o. MK products (packrat) and Bug-o (go-fer) were big when I was a kid running around with my dad and grandfather. Looks like Bug-o is still making manual stuff. The last time I was in the MK products factory, they were gearing up for this orbital gizmo for pipe/tube welding and had a whole bunch of "red' (they did not say they were lincolns)welding machines on there assembly line. That was ten or more years ago. Jim, I am sure you remember those days. I had a machine 20 years ago that had a thyratron tube in it to run the DC motors. You had to wait until they were glowing evenly before you started any travel. I finally upgraded to a solid state board when I ran out of tubes.

Awe, the fond memories......Here is that picture.

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B.jpg  
    www.metaltechus.com

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    For beveling, I think you must have 5 axis machine. I saw demo video using 5 axis waterjet jetedge. I have same question before due to I need long bevel plate for welding purpose. Best result only with 5 axis to do that. If you have another way let me know.
    asuratman,
    Are your beveled cuts straight? I have been doing some large bevels on straight cuts with a oxy/fuel torch and bevel tip adapter, works good, nice and clean up to five inches.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com