586,655 active members*
3,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: novakon-200

novakon-200

I would like to get afeed back regarding the novakon -200 . I am thinking of buying this machine in the near future and before I invest 10k into this machine I would like for some one who has this machine and used it.
    Your input in this mater would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks
    Julius
    e.mail [email protected]

Julius,

I have had my Novakon NM-200 pro series 2 CNC mill for two months. It has exceeded my expectations for a machine in this price range. The Novakon NM-200 Pro Series 2 CNC mill is awesome!

The best part of the NM-200 CNC mill is the larger table size (40’ x 12”) and the superior X and Y travel (24” and 15”). The table size is approximately forty percent larger than Novakon's main competitor, and the machine travel envelope is almost fifty percent larger.

The NM-200 also has an optional 5th and 6th axis’s available, a three HP spindle motor, larger stepper motors with the availability of a Stepper Feedback Detection System (This system provides instance feedback if the CNC mill were to loose steps, thus preventing damage to the machine or the part being machined), and a optional computer built into the modular controller cabinet (the same as higher end CNC machines). You can use your own computer to run the NM-200. However, I ordered the NM-200 with the built in computer. This assured me that my CNC mill had the required software installed and therefore was ready to run when I received it. The Novakon quick change tooling is less expensive than its competitor and I believe the Novakon tooling is every bit as good.

Visual Mill CAM with the optional 4th axis package has worked well with my Alibre CAD program, and it has been much easier for me to use than SprutCAM.

I would definitely choose the Novakon NM-200 Series 2 CNC mill again.

iGak nailed it - the working envelope is huge and the machine has worked flawlessly for me from day one. My review thread lists a few complaints (coolant system is by FAR my largest complaint and really not a bit deal.) The computer system and electronics are beautifully wired up - to the point that I was downright impressed with how well it's done. The enclosure is fair - it limits travel a bit. Additionally, the built-in stops are set far too conservatively but again - these are nits. I've had great luck with the machine and am using it to produce parts commercially. Would I get it again? Yes, absolutely.

A few suggestions - get it wired for 4th axis if you ever intend on using it - even if you don't buy a rotary table initially. It's worth having them wire it up for you as they do such a good job. Also get lots of help to move the mill into position, it's incredibly heavy and awkward.

FYI: the tooling system is identical to Tormach's (I've pieces from both companies) and totally interchangeable - I believe they are both made in the same factory even. Tormach sells a few parts that Novakon doesn't list on their site though and they are dead useful - the offline measurement stuff: granite block + height gauge and the tool to measure the surface of the work. I've got tool changing down to almost no time at all now, super speedy. Additionally, if you set it up properly in Mach 3 you only worry about total length as opposed to offsets measured from a specific tool - this lets you replace tools without remeasuring or calculating anything.

Get the mill and good luck!

-Mike

I had my machine for over 2 years and still making parts. I wish I had the newer controller, but I won't complain. Good service and good people. If my business keeps up the way it has, I may buy another NM200.

I've had my V1 NM-200 for a year, with no major issues. the X-travel can be even longer if you disable the limit switches.

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    the X-travel can be even longer if you disable the limit switches.
    yup, 28", but dont expect any support when you do that, hehe.

its a good solid machine, nice and heavy and accurate.

The good, the bad, and the uncalled for.
    An honest review of my NM-200 V2 CNC mill.

The good.
    I purchased my mill in November of last year. It arrived on time and in good condition. It was a couple of week before I had it powered since I had to build a room in my garage for it (Which could be climate controlled)/(Just seemed to be too much machine to disassemble and put in the basement workshop).
    For approximately 3 months it worked completely as advertised. I was able to cut any geometries that I needed to w/ out fail to what I would consider green machining tolerances.(circular interpolation was not exact, but leaving stock and single-pointing w/ a boring head will easily give a more circular hole) Standard G-code programming. Probably ran 6 or 8 jobs of various types thru it w/ out any problems. All was well.

The bad.
    Then, around the 19th of March, during a low rpm cut the spindle stalled and would not re-start. After checking all fuses and connections and such, I emailed Novakon on March 21st for a resolution/ reset procedure/ next course of action to take to troubleshoot. After a week plus of my pestering emails, I finally got a response on March 1st that there was a problem w/ the VFD / motor system and that they had 15 upgraded motor / VFD combos being urgently shipped and that I would be placed on the priority list to have my machine upgraded. At that point, they were expecting them w/in 2 weeks.
    (Now mind you, this couldn’t have happened at a worse time as I had 6 jobs that I was committed to that all the green machining was to be done on this machine)
    Here it is April 6th, and not only do I still not have the replacement parts, I don’t even have a date as to when I should expect them. Almost 7 weeks have passed.
    (Needless to say, I had to revert back the manual mill to complete the jobs that I was committed to which completely blew those estimates out of the water (Glad I don’t count on this stuff to make a living))
    I have also had to turn down some opportunities on new jobs due to the machine still not being functional

The uncalled for.
    It seems that the issue w/ these VFD /Motors was a know fact. What I see as totally uncalled for is the fact that I was not informed of it by Novakon. A simple note from them stating to stay out of a certain rpm / load combo until they have the replacement units is all it would have taken . It would be much better to have a machine that works in most of the range of specifications than the current situation of a great big paper weight that does nothing!

I understand that things happen. I have not given up on the machine . As I stated earlier, when it works, it works well. It is just frustrating to me that something that could have easily been avoided wasn’t. A simple note / letter / phone call is all it would have taken.
    And I don’t know if this is Novakon’s or Sangmutan’s problem. That’s for them to figure out. I purchased a complete machine from Novakon so based on that ,from this point of view it is Novakon’s issue.

Note: The drill chuck that comes w/ the machine as “ free tooling” isn’t what I would consider usable. I have never seen such T.I.R in a chuck before. I took it and threw it into the field .It will do just as much good there as it would in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1 View Post

The bad.
    Then, around the 19th of March, during a low rpm cut the spindle stalled and would not re-start. After checking all fuses and connections and such, I emailed Novakon on March 21st for a resolution/ reset procedure/ next course of action to take to troubleshoot. After a week plus of my pestering emails, I finally got a response on March 1st that there was a problem w/ the VFD / motor system and that they had 15 upgraded motor / VFD combos being urgently shipped and that I would be placed on the priority list to have my machine upgraded. At that point, they were expecting them w/in 2 weeks.
    (Now mind you, this couldn’t have happened at a worse time as I had 6 jobs that I was committed to that all the green machining was to be done on this machine)
    Here it is April 6th, and not only do I still not have the replacement parts, I don’t even have a date as to when I should expect them. Almost 7 weeks have passed.
    (Needless to say, I had to revert back the manual mill to complete the jobs that I was committed to which completely blew those estimates out of the water (Glad I don’t count on this stuff to make a living))
    I have also had to turn down some opportunities on new jobs due to the machine still not being functional

The uncalled for.
    It seems that the issue w/ these VFD /Motors was a know fact. What I see as totally uncalled for is the fact that I was not informed of it by Novakon. A simple note from them stating to stay out of a certain rpm / load combo until they have the replacement units is all it would have taken . It would be much better to have a machine that works in most of the range of specifications than the current situation of a great big paper weight that does nothing!

I understand that things happen. I have not given up on the machine . As I stated earlier, when it works, it works well. It is just frustrating to me that something that could have easily been avoided wasn’t. A simple note / letter / phone call is all it would have taken.
    And I don’t know if this is Novakon’s or Sangmutan’s problem. That’s for them to figure out. I purchased a complete machine from Novakon so based on that ,from this point of view it is Novakon’s issue.

Note: The drill chuck that comes w/ the machine as “ free tooling” isn’t what I would consider usable. I have never seen such T.I.R in a chuck before. I took it and threw it into the field .It will do just as much good there as it would in my shop.
    you a time traveller? you got a response march 1 after emailing them the 19th? hehe.

the motor issue to my knowledge was denied by the factory til recently (just the last several weeks). it definitely sucks to not get a response quickly, even a "hold on" is better than nothing. i usually get a response within minutes from khai. emailing the other staff might not be as fast, im not sure.

i ran my 145 at full speed for about 4 hours today. it was under light load contouring, so there was no risk of stall, but you could hear the motor pitch change often as if it couldnt find a speed it liked. hopefully this gets resolved soon, cause its hard to find a replacement, all the affordable ones are made by the same damned company.

as for the drill chuck, ive used the one that came with the nm200, it was fine, but i think its safe to assume its only there as a placeholder if you didnt have any other tools.

My apoligies on the incorrect date, The original contact date was Feb 21 st, not March.