586,096 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mastercam lathe

Does anyone know how much the simple 2D Lathe version of mastercam would be?? I don't wanna go thru the trouble of getting the software demo and finding out thats its more that what i can afford... Thanks

Last I checked it was between 5 and 6 grand. If you are adding it to a mill seat, then it is 2500 bucks I believe.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael18 View Post
    Does anyone know how much the simple 2D Lathe version of mastercam would be?? I don't wanna go thru the trouble of getting the software demo and finding out thats its more that what i can afford... Thanks
    Run from MC lathe. Not sure if it's fixed in X5(Mastercam 2005) but you need solids on top of lathe to make it even close to usable. So you will have to pay a yearly maintenance on the two least maintained pieces of software Msatercam sells. If you add it to mill you be forced to maintain all three or lose mill in the future. Trust me it's a nightmare. In Canada I think it about 7500.00 plus solids(approximately 1800.00). There a lot better options. Solidcam.

I don't work for any of these companies. I was just unfortunate enough to have purchased Mastercam for my shop.

If you must and you are in Canada try and by in the USA and you will save a bunch.

John

John u are always negative.we get it already that you are not happy with mastercam.BTW u dont need solids to use lathe.I use lathe just fine without it and have no issues.I have a stand alone seat of just lathe and it cost 5K.I have no maintence and i still get help from my reseller as i need it with posts and other questions.Lathe is a great product to use.I would reccomend it to anyone that is serious about getting good code and making good parts with a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJW View Post
    Run from MC lathe. Not sure if it's fixed in X5(Mastercam 2005) but you need solids on top of lathe to make it even close to usable. So you will have to pay a yearly maintenance on the two least maintained pieces of software Msatercam sells. If you add it to mill you be forced to maintain all three or lose mill in the future. Trust me it's a nightmare. In Canada I think it about 7500.00 plus solids(approximately 1800.00). There a lot better options. Solidcam.

I don't work for any of these companies. I was just unfortunate enough to have purchased Mastercam for my shop.

If you must and you are in Canada try and by in the USA and you will save a bunch.

John

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrewman View Post
    John u are always negative.we get it already that you are not happy with mastercam.BTW u dont need solids to use lathe.I use lathe just fine without it and have no issues.I have a stand alone seat of just lathe and it cost 5K.I have no maintence and i still get help from my reseller as i need it with posts and other questions.Lathe is a great product to use.I would reccomend it to anyone that is serious about getting good code and making good parts with a lathe.
    I am only sharing my experience with people so they can get an understanding of what they are in for.

It is not the norm to have your dealer support the product without maintenance. Ask your dealer about this.

If you don't have solids you cant move a solid to the correct position to machine it. And verify it. You can use WCS but I am not sure it works very well for lathe. My dealer couldn't get it to work in X4 for us. Told us to just import a dxf profile from the solidworks drawing file? Cutting edge... The last major upgrade for lathe was the ability to verify and show round boring bars....this was last year folks...not 1982.

As well Mastercam lathe is very dead end right now. No support for mill turn, sub spindle or twin turret. And no real solids support.

I will agree Mastercam V9 was a great lathe package in its day.
    But times have changed.

Mastercam lathe hasn't.

John

don't know the cost of MC lathe but you do not need the solids package to program the lathe. you can draw every thing in 2d using your C/T planes. the lathe does not play well with WCS. you have to use C/T planes for all live tooling and sub spindle work. don't know if that has been fixed in X5
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

To manipulate a solid with out solid opt turned on= create a new level then (create>surface>from solid). Now you can do anything you want to the model.

I've run Mastercam lathe and it is SO easy to get perfect, quick 2 axis lathe code.

I trained a couple of my guys to use it. One of the guys was an absolute Computer Neanderthal. He was the type of guy that didn't even understand the "double click" on a mouse. Well, with Mastercam Lathe he was actually writing his own programs in about a week or 2 of me showing him stuff every couple days (not 40 hours, more like 3-4 hours of instruction with some of it being just computer basics and stuff)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by WallyL7 View Post
    I've run Mastercam lathe and it is SO easy to get perfect, quick 2 axis lathe code.

I trained a couple of my guys to use it. One of the guys was an absolute Computer Neanderthal. He was the type of guy that didn't even understand the "double click" on a mouse. Well, with Mastercam Lathe he was actually writing his own programs in about a week or 2 of me showing him stuff every couple days (not 40 hours, more like 3-4 hours of instruction with some of it being just computer basics and stuff)
    What about when you need to synchronize two turrets with Mastercam lathe?

i do that all the time it is easy to do if u know what u are doing within the mastercam.dont forget about wait codes.those still need to be put in where u want them.

Can you post a screen grab showing how two turrets can be verified in Mastercam. Thanks.

I've posted programs that were intended to be used on a "two turrets, two different operations" situation...with some editing for timing codes of course.

But what I want is an actual synchronized turning feature with timing defined on each pass. It'd keep me from having to use the horrid conversational crap on the control...

Quote Originally Posted by jjacoby View Post
    What about when you need to synchronize two turrets with Mastercam lathe?

Hello JJacoby,

Thank you for the question. Look up 2 axis lathe, then look up 2 turret lathe. They are a teensie bit different.

Would you go on a forum for little commuter cars where someone just needs a little car to go to work in and ask "What about when you need to tow a 10,000 pound trailer?"

The OP asked about simple 2d mcam lathe.
    Tim

Tim, why would anyone want to invest in a lathe cam that they can't grow with?

That is a fair enough question, and an easy enough answer...

I worked (grew up )in a shop that ran a bunch of 2 axis lathes and 3&4 axis mills. The owners were great businessmen, and awesome machinists. They had their ways, though, and were most likely not going to get a 3,4,5,or 11 axis lathe ever, nor were they ever going to get a 5 axis mill.

They knew their stuff and knew it well, and Mastercam served us perfectly...for all of our equipment. They make tons of money, have the simplicity of Mastercam for the plasma cutter, waterjet, mills as well as lathes. Like I said, even a neanderthal can be posting perfect lathe programs within hours of learning mastercam.

Again - it is like my question I asked you which you must have avoided...I could ask you "Why would you buy a car that can't tow 10,000 pounds?" or...Why would you buy a car that you can't fit 11 people in?...I realize that Mastercam lathe is pretty dated, but it is still pretty awesome and easy for those needing (and asking for) "simple 2 axis" lathe programs...
    Tim

I worked (grew up )in a shop that ran a bunch of 2 axis lathes and 3&4 axis mills. The owners were great businessmen, and awesome machinists. They had their ways, though, and were most likely not going to get a 3,4,5,or 11 axis lathe ever, nor were they ever going to get a 5 axis mill.

They knew their stuff and knew it well, and Mastercam served us perfectly...for all of our equipment. They make tons of money, have the simplicity of Mastercam for the plasma cutter, waterjet, mills as well as lathes. Like I said, even a neanderthal can be posting perfect lathe programs within hours of learning mastercam.

Again - it is like my question I asked you which you must have avoided...I could ask you "Why would you buy a car that can't tow 10,000 pounds?" or...Why would you buy a car that you can't fit 11 people in?...I realize that Mastercam lathe is pretty dated, but it is still pretty awesome and easy for those needing (and asking for) "simple 2 axis" lathe programs...
    It's huge money for a dated and simple program.

John

I have such a need. I have a vertical lathe that I need to create programs for and I'll be using Mastercam X5. Since you say it's so easy I'm looking forward to asking you all the questions I can't figure out on my own.