586,058 active members*
4,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Interact electronic Fault

Hi All,
    Have an Interact II Series II machine and has been running well. We lost power a number of times in December and now I get an error code about 5 or ten minutes after I power up the machine and home the axis. I can only see about half of the top line of the old screen and it says something like: IMC ELECTRONICS FAULT. It could be YMC or TMC, don't know. I can run the machine prior to the fault. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    H

must be TNC

bad......

151 or later Heidenhain will still fix

oops

Yep, TNC 145.

By "bad" does that mean search for used or think about retro?
    Thanks Gus.
    H

look for a 151 control it is a bolt in.

Control

Hi Gus,
    Could you define Bolt In please? Hook up motors / encoders and plug it in?
    The 151 takes conversational and G-codes correct?
    Thanks,
    H

TNC 145 to 151 upgrade? Mach3? EMC?

Went through cabinet again last night checking for any loose connections etc. Powered up machine, homed, loaded a program (748 lines) and got to line 435 when the electronic fault occured. Powered down to reset and did not even get through the homing process before it faulted again.
    Does TNC 151 have the 1000 line limit?
    How comparable is it to a Mach3 or EMC upgrade, operation wise?
    We've got a Clausing with Delta 20 also that has started giving RAM faults so it would be nice to have a "standard" operating interface. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    H

Fixed or faulty?

Just for kicks I pulled the Y motor because it had started being louder than normal and when I did the X motor it really smoothed things out by cleaning it up. Pulled the Y and cleaned it up, put it back together and started things up. No Electronics Fault. Set my datums, checked tool lengths, loaded and ran a program. No faults. Left power on main power on overnight with the e-stop on. Started up this morning and ran the program no problem. Hit the e-stop and was going to run another program this afternoon. Looked at mach a bit ago and it had the blinking Electronics Fault. Powered down and restarted but it faulted out again. Not having a list of error codes I can only guess that this is a control issue. Motors / encoders seem to work; power supply seems to work, that would leave the drive boards and the main control. I can't really read the error message; IMC or YMC maybe, Y motor control? If I found a 151 control would that use my existing power supply and driver boards? Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    H

the error is
    TNC ELECTRONICS FAULT

there are not a bunch of flashing errors

if you can find a 151, put the 151 in it, do not fix the 145, use the 145 for parts

151 control

Thanks Gus,
    Yes, the screen just blinks TNC Electronics Fault at the top.
    So like you said in your earlier post the 151 control would bolt right up to my existing power supply etc? Or, get the complete control w/power supply, drivers etc and replace everything?

re

it should just bolt right in, 4 bolts slide it on out, the encoder cables screw in, monitor plugs in, and there are 4 strip connectors with all the little wires that will unplug from the pc board on the back and plug them onto the 151, it is pin for pin compatible.

151 anyone?

Thanks Gus.
    OK, so now it's looking for a 151 Control. Any spares out there?
    Thanks,
    H

Talking Take a chance

I was having trouble with a TNC 151 on an Interact I mark II. I talked to Rick at Heidenhain in Chicago and he said sometines just pulling the boards from their slots and then replacing will fix the problem. Bad contacts. Make sure you have all the parameters written down because you will lose them when you pull the boards. I was getting a check sum error.
    Don't know if it will work, but just had to add that information.
    Thanks , Dan:banana:

This is excellent advice

Rick is a heidenhain god

Card re-seating

Also, when I had intemittant problems with my TNC151 a few years back, I pulled cards and blew out the enclosure and cards with an airline. Amazing amount of small swarf came out depite being mounted in a good enclosure (Interact 1). There was also quite a dust build up. Never had any more trouble with it after that.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Cards

I've done this on our Dynapath machines. I will check my parameter sheet and open the back of the cabinet again and take a look. I do not recall seeing any boards at all in the 145 control that were accessable. In the power supply cabinet everything is rigidly mounted / bolted. Like Gus had stated in an old post I search "....one of the best wired machines you will find." And another old post that is sticking with me, ".... and people randomly go in there and rip out a perfectly solid power supply. What boobs...."
    I don't want to randomly do anything and I understand the limits of the machine. I would like to eliminate the 1000 line program limitation and improve the program loading (2400 baud? yawwwwwwn) But from a guy whose first computer was a Timex Sinclair, working is better than not. I actually ran the machine twice yesterday before it faulted out and I can see where it flashes TNC Electronics Error.
    On the SEM MT30 motors, there is the motor itself, the brushed tachometer (correct?), and on the very back, the resolver (?) brass disc with windows on the perimeter.
    Wires on the motor are A1 A2 , and K1 K2, T1,T2 for the tachometer (?)
    Ther resolver has its own 4 pin connector on the very back.
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by hmc710 View Post
    I've done this on our Dynapath machines. I will check my parameter sheet and open the back of the cabinet again and take a look. I do not recall seeing any boards at all in the 145 control that were accessable. In the power supply cabinet everything is rigidly mounted / bolted. Like Gus had stated in an old post I search "....one of the best wired machines you will find." And another old post that is sticking with me, ".... and people randomly go in there and rip out a perfectly solid power supply. What boobs...."
    I don't want to randomly do anything and I understand the limits of the machine. I would like to eliminate the 1000 line program limitation and improve the program loading (2400 baud? yawwwwwwn) But from a guy whose first computer was a Timex Sinclair, working is better than not. I actually ran the machine twice yesterday before it faulted out and I can see where it flashes TNC Electronics Error.
    On the SEM MT30 motors, there is the motor itself, the brushed tachometer (correct?), and on the very back, the resolver (?) brass disc with windows on the perimeter.
    Wires on the motor are A1 A2 , and K1 K2, T1,T2 for the tachometer (?)
    Ther resolver has its own 4 pin connector on the very back.
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    H
    A1,A2 is the main motor. K1,K2 is the thermal overload. T1,T2 is the brushed tacho-generator. The Heidenhain analog position encoder houses the disc - looks like phosphor bronze or berrylium copper to me.

I have been running the machine. It usually runs 2 - 4 hours before it faults out then I just power down. It does not crash when it faults, just stops. I am looking at the 151 control upgrade and other options.
    Thanks,
    H

There are cards inserted in a standard backplane inside the TNC, you don't see them because you usually never have to touch them.

If you pull the control and remove the back you will see them, try the pull and reseat, if that doesn't work.....

Will do....
    Thanks,
    H