586,094 active members*
4,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Lathe Floor Space Requirements

Hey guys. I just bought two CNC lathes, one Haas SL30T (1999) and a Mazak QT30 (1998). I'm a bit tight on space in my shop, so I want to place the lathes facinbg each other with the back of one facing a wall. I want the lathe to be as close to the wall as possible while maintaining enough space to access the service panel, and the machines are quite a distance away so I cant really go and measure them. I was wondering if anyone has one of the lathes can tell me how much space I need behind either machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If by service panel you mean the electrical control panel, you need to check code.

By that I mean local electrical code. You could need 4 or more feet of space between the wall and the panel. The actual distance is based upon voltage and other factors.

Even if you are talking a mechanical access panel you would be well advised to leave plenty of space. Note that putting the machines back to back can often save space while keeping you compliant. I have no visual references for these two lathes so I can't help with actual hardware layout. Often though lathes are installed perpendicular to walls to maximize space and optimize work flow. Of course this can be an issue with bar feeding machines.

Obviouslyi don't know what your plant looks like right now but you may find yourself benefiting from a reorganization of machine tools.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrmachine View Post
    Hey guys. I just bought two CNC lathes, one Haas SL30T (1999) and a Mazak QT30 (1998). I'm a bit tight on space in my shop, so I want to place the lathes facinbg each other with the back of one facing a wall. I want the lathe to be as close to the wall as possible while maintaining enough space to access the service panel, and the machines are quite a distance away so I cant really go and measure them. I was wondering if anyone has one of the lathes can tell me how much space I need behind either machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.