586,414 active members*
3,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Attaching hand tools to router table

Attaching hand tools to router table

Hi Guys, I have been getting ideas from this forum for some time. This time however cannot find references to my specific question.

Has anyone ever attached other hand tools to their router table e.g., Hand Plainer, Belt Sander, Orbital sander etc. If so, how did you make the clamping devices to hold the hand tool in position. All my ideas at this stage are rather cumbersome and not ideal for quick changing of tools. I would, if possible like to use one attachment that can be adjusted to accommodate other hand tools.

Any ideas will be extremely welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

well I am not planning on attaching "other" hand tools but I am planning a quick swap mount so I can use multiple spindles.

The basics for mine is 2 aluminum plates the top (or bottom your choice) of the first plate is square with the table and permanently attached to your Z. Any non removable lines (wire racetrack, air lines, Vac hose, ect) should be mounted to this plate as well. The second plate is the detachable part with the unique clamping for your particular tool. On the back of plate 2 are 2 pins pressed in square to the tool. When you go mount plate 2 to plate 1 you rest it on the pins then tighten down the screws this gives you your alignment of the spindle to the table top so it is not cockeyed. If you want to get the Y dimension in the same spot each time as well just add a third pin to the top (or bottom if you used it) so you rest plates 2 pins on plate 1 then slide it over till one of those pins are against the third pin.

Then when you want to add another tool to your collection you just have to make up another plate 2 and the appropriate clamping device for that new tool.

Attaching hand tools to Router table

Thanks.

That does give me some ideas if I manage to devise something worth sharing I will post it once done.

Neil