586,108 active members*
3,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torchmate Software

I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on a 2x2 table with Z axis. I am not getting the auto height control. My question centers on the software that comes with the machine. Torchmate CAD I think its called. Is this a competent package? Will it let you import other file types? Can I use other software to control the machine if I choose? Any issues with the software? Can I control other machines with it (CNC mill or lathe)?

I just want to try to get a user's perspective instead of the sales guy I have been speaking to. Any and all answers, comments, or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by sgalway View Post
    I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on a 2x2 table with Z axis. I am not getting the auto height control. My question centers on the software that comes with the machine. Torchmate CAD I think its called. Is this a competent package? Will it let you import other file types? Can I use other software to control the machine if I choose? Any issues with the software? Can I control other machines with it (CNC mill or lathe)?

I just want to try to get a user's perspective instead of the sales guy I have been speaking to. Any and all answers, comments, or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shannon
    The Torchmate CAD software will accept DXF, eps, ai files to work with. The Operational machine software will only work with the 2x2, and the electronics are limited in their settings as to only be used on the 2x2 machine.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Mike,
    THanks for the reply, ordered my machine the other day. Cant wait to get it!

Like Mike said Shannon, the CAD program is just the design program. The torchmate driver program runs the machine. You will get the driver program free with the purchase of the cnc table. The CAD program will cost aditional.

As far as the driver software goes, I like it, could use a few convenience tweaks you get on other cnc but I have no complaints otherwise except for random crashes but I plan to reformat the machine to fix that.

As far as the cad and tooling part goes, I don't like it, I am sure it is good for someone that needs simple parts or beginners but as a power user (3d milling and routing on my other machines) I hate the cad, too difficult to draw and use to tool for me. I have Rhino and RhinoCam and love it, with my knowledge bases set up, all I need to do is draw a part, load a knowledge base and I have one for every type of metal and thickness, for example 3/16 aluminum and it loads all the feeds and speeds, lead ins and out etc for me and all I have to do is pick the line I want it to cut. I set up about 10 different thicknesses for mild steel, stainless and aluminum. Took about 45 minutes but I am golden now.

Quote Originally Posted by PHSS View Post
    As far as the driver software goes, I like it, could use a few convenience tweaks you get on other cnc but I have no complaints otherwise except for random crashes but I plan to reformat the machine to fix that.

As far as the cad and tooling part goes, I don't like it, I am sure it is good for someone that needs simple parts or beginners but as a power user (3d milling and routing on my other machines) I hate the cad, too difficult to draw and use to tool for me. I have Rhino and RhinoCam and love it, with my knowledge bases set up, all I need to do is draw a part, load a knowledge base and I have one for every type of metal and thickness, for example 3/16 aluminum and it loads all the feeds and speeds, lead ins and out etc for me and all I have to do is pick the line I want it to cut. I set up about 10 different thicknesses for mild steel, stainless and aluminum. Took about 45 minutes but I am golden now.
    Isn't that a good thing for what is essentially an entry level machine? I am currently researching the cad software now as it scares me ****less to be honest. I have been looking at the tutorials on pirate 4x4 and reading the user manuals on the internet and I am fairly confident now that even if I don't plump for a Torchmate machine I will probably take a punt on the software anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen bidet View Post
    Isn't that a good thing for what is essentially an entry level machine? I am currently researching the cad software now as it scares me ****less to be honest. I have been looking at the tutorials on pirate 4x4 and reading the user manuals on the internet and I am fairly confident now that even if I don't plump for a Torchmate machine I will probably take a punt on the software anyway.
    Cad Software shouldn't scare someone, well some shouldn't, well Rhino shouldn't, anything does. As a high school shop teacher specializing in drafting and design I have in my time used just about every CAD program out there and Rhino is the easyest to learn and draw and with RhinoCam to tool everything it is a perfect match to the machine, Torchmates Cad on the other hand has to be the most difficult and confusing way to draw and cut out a part I have ever tried. When people ask me what programs are best and what they should get I usually rank them this way

Mastercam - The most powerful one I have ever used, also the most difficult
    Rhino+Rhino Cam, the easiest to learn and use but not as feature rich
    as Master Cam but superior for those reasons.
    TuboCad - Easy to use clone of AutoCad
    Auto Cad - The staple of design, nuff said

Anything else I would not bother to learn or buy.

You obviously have more cad experience than me. Maybe the type of software you are used to would determine how favourable you find the Torchmate cad. Perhaps Mike can tell us which other programme in his opinion it compares to most.

I think the reason I don't like it is because I feel their software has no similarities to "normal" CAD software, simply put once you learn on type of CAD the rest fall into place easily. I learned Autocad first, learning, turbocad, Cadopia, Rhino, mastercam were simply learn the software difference but its all the same. Torchmates software is just different in all aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen bidet View Post
    Maybe the type of software you are used to would determine how favourable you find the Torchmate cad.
    It is exactly this. I hear every day how difficult Torchmate CAD is compared to a customers AutoCAD variant, and I also hear people who know Torchmate CAD who say that AutoCAD is extremely difficult.

The best comparison I can put is the Torchmate CAD is very drag and drop in it's design, where as AutoCAD is very point to point exact measurement, and is much more console oriented.

I've not had much experience with Rhino, but I know it's a very powerful software and reminds me a bit of BobCAD.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST