586,069 active members*
3,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Seized end mill holder on a Sherline mill

Seized end mill holder on a Sherline mill

I've being playing with my new Sherline mill for a few months, nothing serious, just getting the hang of basics, aluminium only work.

Today I tried to remove the standard end mill holder, which has been fitted for a week or so and it was seized solid to the headstock spindle. It was fitted finger tight only. It's quite humid in this part of Spain at the moment.

I've soaked it with WD40, no luck.

Before I take the motor off and remove milling assembly and put the end mill in a vice is there anything I should not do?

Should I use my butane torch to heat up the end mill?

Thanks

Martin

Are you using the ER spindle or the standard spindle? Is it a collet or end mill holder that is stuck? Take the head off of the mill, loosen and or remove the spindle nut and either insert a rod thru the spindle and tap the end mill or collet out. Are you using an end mill holder that is held in with the drawbolt? If that is the case, loosen the drawbolt but leave 2-3 threads engaged, rap bolt sticking up above spindle with a brass mallet or equivalent. It might take a firm rap.

Btw, Serious with a Sherline is aluminum! Plastics, wood and wax would be its forte.
    Quote Originally Posted by spainguy View Post
    I've being playing with my new Sherline mill for a few months, nothing serious, just getting the hang of basics, aluminium only work.

Today I tried to remove the standard end mill holder, which has been fitted for a week or so and it was seized solid to the headstock spindle. It was fitted finger tight only. It's quite humid in this part of Spain at the moment.

I've soaked it with WD40, no luck.

Before I take the motor off and remove milling assembly and put the end mill in a vice is there anything I should not do?

Should I use my butane torch to heat up the end mill?

Thanks

Martin