586,108 active members*
3,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tabs - Again

Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    So from your response of "Exactly", it's not clear what you mean. Are you saying it does have a Tabs facility, but you can't make it work, or are you just repeating and agreeing with what I told you anyway?
    Yes, I was agreeing with what you were saying, that you didn't know anything about the software.

take care..

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Yes, I was agreeing with what you were saying, that you didn't know anything about the software.

take care..

ADMIN: This thread can be locked...
    Well I know it doesn't do Tabs.

Have a nice day.

Here is a video I made to address this issue

enjoy!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3COWJq5pFY"]YouTube - 25022 SprutCAM7 Tabs&Bridges[/nomedia]

Cool Eric!

Ive attached a project that Ive used tabs on. In this instance I did it on the last opperation so that the tab is very shallow, making it easier to clean up.

David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Tormach View Post
    Here is a video I made to address this issue

enjoy!

YouTube - 25022 SprutCAM7 Tabs&Bridges
    Awesome Eric...!! The last part is exactly the way I had done it last night, but I actually like adjusting the 2D contour, I had completely forgot you can move those that way...

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Cool Eric!

Ive attached a project that Ive used tabs on. In this instance I did it on the last opperation so that the tab is very shallow, making it easier to clean up.

David
    David.. Thanks as well. I was thinking a circle for a fixture, but what you have actually is actually the way I should do it, gives me a smaller tab to clip off (well if not adjusting the Contour, I kinda like that way too). Excellent.

I think I will go bang my head on the wall now for not realizing the obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    David.. Thanks as well. I was thinking a circle for a fixture, but what you have actually is actually the way I should do it, gives me a smaller tab to clip off (well if not adjusting the Contour, I kinda like that way too). Excellent.

I think I will go bang my head on the wall now for not realizing the obvious!
    You're welcome, sorry it took a while to post.

I had used circles on that project originally but changed it so it looked more like a tab for you You can add or remove stock on the contour as well so you dont have to re-draw it if you need to change the size to optimize it.

Trust me, Ive had many of those moments learning this program but overall I am very pleased. The fact Tormach is supporting it now and is doing these vids REALLY helps a huge amount. Thanks Tormach!

David

Eric_Tormach

Question When you extruded the circles for the fixture in the video, If you set the bottom level to -0.125 like you did and the top level to -0.0625 for that fixture would that leave a thinner tab if you did the contour in multiple passes? I'm thinking you would have to set the safe level to -0.0625 for that 2D Contoring operation to do so? I'm I off base on this thought?

Thanks!!

Larry O

Larry, good question. You would take a first pass at a depth of -.0625. Then with a separate 2D contouring op take a second pass with a top level set to -.0625 but the safe level would remain the same.

I set this up on a part this weekend. This worked well, I simply copied the previous 2D contouring op and added the fixtures and changed the depth. Assuming that the tool would basically follow the same contour. However on each side of the tab where the tool went up and back down, there is a distinct tool radius vertically on the part. Not sure if the part flexed some when the material was cut away, it was .25 deep. Oddly enough I noticed the same small vertical groove in a pocket operation as well. Need a second set of parts so will rerun again this week, but curious if anyone has seen this and is there an adjustment I need to make.

Still running into problems using the 2D profiles with the second operation. Looks like the second profiling operation is taking additional material off. How can you do two profiling operations and end up with the right thickness at the end?

Page 2 of 2 12