586,080 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tabs - Again

Page 1 of 2 12

Tabs - Again

Again I am back to looking at tabs for SC. One of the reasons I started trying BobCad. I am trying to mill several small parts, but really do not want to take the time to create fixtures or soft jaws. really not needed as they are simple 2D designs.

I never got any of the suggestions before to work on creating tabs in SC. Anyone had any luck simulating them?

I did read a post (lost it) where someone created 2D circles and then had SC ignore them, but I never could figure out how to do that.

Any suggestions would help.

I do have the option of adding tabs in Alibre as a alternate configuration, but sometimes I am not sure how I will machine it when I am designing the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Again I am back to looking at tabs for SC. One of the reasons I started trying BobCad. I am trying to mill several small parts, but really do not want to take the time to create fixtures or soft jaws. really not needed as they are simple 2D designs.

I never got any of the suggestions before to work on creating tabs in SC. Anyone had any luck simulating them?

I did read a post (lost it) where someone created 2D circles and then had SC ignore them, but I never could figure out how to do that.

Any suggestions would help.

I do have the option of adding tabs in Alibre as a alternate configuration, but sometimes I am not sure how I will machine it when I am designing the parts.
    If you do a search on the SC forum I posted on it there quite a while ago. Its quite easy. Just draw a small rectangle or circle at the edge of the part and use extrude and make it a restricting zone(where you want the tabs). Ive used it many many times and it works great.

David

David,

Actually you mentioned some words i missed on the other post. I see how this can work now.

Only problem is I do not see a restriction zone in 2D contouring?

99.9% sure there is. I do 2D contouring all the time and create tabs that way. Im not at my CAM computer now to post a pic, but look again, I know its there.(or Im goin nuts )

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    99.9% sure there is. I do 2D contouring all the time and create tabs that way. Im not at my CAM computer now to post a pic, but look again, I know its there.(or Im goin nuts )
    I know it should be there.. Will check after dinner But it does show it in the help documentation.. I just don't see it. It may just be the way I set my OP up, will try on a fresh file later as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails restricted zone.jpg  

You can also extrude them as fixtures. There is another way of doing this. Instead of 2D contouring use "Jet Cutting" . You can add bridges in this operation, however you will have to add a Z depth and a correct spindle speed using a editor (notepad++). I have done this several times and it works well. I have an active request for SprutCAM to add the bridges to 2D contouring.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Tormach View Post
    You can also extrude them as fixtures. There is another way of doing this. Instead of 2D contouring use "Jet Cutting" . You can add bridges in this operation, however you will have to add a Z depth and a correct spindle speed using a editor (notepad++). I have done this several times and it works well. I have an active request for SprutCAM to add the bridges to 2D contouring.
    Thanks Eric.

You also mentioned in another post about editing the G-Code. Just to give some input for me I do programming(as well as design) and after looking at 1000's of lines of code all day, when I get home the last thing I want to do is look at G-code and edit code. I rely heavily on the simulation as I have limited time to turn a part around, sometimes literally hours. I realize some may find that interesting and challenging, but I have to many programming languages to try and learn more.

I will look into fixtures and importing that way. But sounds like perhaps SC will add bridges or tabs in the future. That can save a lot of work for people doing rapid prototyping.

Well, welcome to the wonderful world of CNC machining. Theres not a CAM software out there that won't require some good ole' G-code editing form time to time. I have used $30,000 CAM systems that needed tweaking on occasion. As a side note, using Note pad ++ makes it very easy to do simple G-code editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Tormach View Post
    Well, welcome to the wonderful world of CNC machining. Theres not a CAM software out there that won't require some good ole' G-code editing form time to time. I have used $30,000 CAM systems that needed tweaking on occasion. As a side note, using Note pad ++ makes it very easy to do simple G-code editing.
    That may be true, but doesn't mean I have to edit it I have someone who uses those $30K systems everyday as well and will do any G-Code work I need when needed. But for the majority of the work I am doing, I do not see a reason for me to edit G-Code unless it is to help identify a problem in the software At some point I may have some time to sit down and learn it, but right now I don't see a reason to. I consider it a scripting language between machines. Should be fluid in it's operation.

I remember going through a similar exercise a couple years back when I first got my mill. At the time I was importing DXF files and wanted to do tabs similar to the breakout tabs used on printed circuit boards (panels). I found two solutions, best I can remember.

First, I created a rectangle object and inserted it in my DXF files where ever I wanted a tab to be located. I then used the 2D contour routine to mill only the contours outside of the newly inserted tab object.

Second, I messed with fixtures except I could not get them to work with DXF imports. To get the fixtures to work I needed to import as an igs format and then treat the machining process as a 3d operation.

Surely there is a better way so I will be interested in seeing response here.

Robert

PS: I also do software most days and don't like hand editing my mill projects. But with that said I am slowly learning G-code and have been able to make minor changes as needed. Guess it's part of the game....

If you still need to find an easy way of doing tabs, then here's a little video of CamBam's HoldingTabs option.

TechSmith | Screencast.com, online video sharing, 2011-01-18_2332

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    If you still need to find an easy way of doing tabs, then here's a little video of CamBam's HoldingTabs option.

TechSmith | Screencast.com, online video sharing, 2011-01-18_2332

Martin.
    If I were using CamBam it might help me. (wrong)

If I were using CamBam it might help me.
    Exactly.

Martin.

Exactly.

Martin.
    No not really. That is kinda like telling me to buy a new car when I ask how to change the brakes on my Ford. Not very helpful, off topic as well as turns people against the product you are trying to advertise.

Eric, yep thats what I do as well. Extrude a fixture next to the part.

Magnum, if I get a chance, I'll try to post a project with some in it so you can see what I do. Once you see it done you will get it immediately. Its one of those things that may not make sense till you see it and its really easy.

David

Magnum, if I get a chance, I'll try to post a project with some in it so you can see what I do. Once you see it done you will get it immediately. Its one of those things that may not make sense till you see it and its really easy.

David
    Thanks David,

I figured that is probably the way it is....

No not really. That is kinda like telling me to buy a new car when I ask how to change the brakes on my Ford. Not very helpful, off topic as well as turns people against the product you are trying to advertise.
    Not like that at all. Your first post on this states that you tried different software in the form of BobCad, as you said you didn't want to spend time creating fixtures and that other suggestions for making tabs with SC hadn't worked.

Further reading led me to believe that SC doesn't have a dedicated Tabs facility, but I admit I don't know this software and I may be wrong on that.

So, being the helpful individual that I am, I mistakenly thought you might appreciate a pointer towards some software that I know to be very good in this department, and foolishly even went to the trouble of trying to show you.

I only 'advertise' products I am happy with as a paying customer - it's called word of mouth recommendation, but on this occasion it's your loss.

If you do ever change the brakes on your Ford, I suggest you ensure you've got more than one tool in your kit and never ask a GM mechanic for advice.

but I admit I don't know this software and I may be wrong on that.
    Exactly

Exactly
    Well here's the whole sentence so it's actually in context.

I said: "Further reading led me to believe that SC doesn't have a dedicated Tabs facility, but I admit I don't know this software and I may be wrong on that".
    So from your response of "Exactly", it's not clear what you mean. Are you saying it does have a Tabs facility, but you can't make it work, or are you just repeating and agreeing with what I told you anyway?

David
    Actually the fixture import did the trick and is a heck of a lot quicker than the video posted. I imported a IGES file and placed next to the part and created a tab the full depth of the part. A second operation actually can cut the tab down so I can snip it off with tins or grind it.

Sweet!..

Page 1 of 2 12