586,640 active members*
2,569 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X5 stock model

Hello, Mastercam people. Mastercam X5 ships with an example file called stock_model. In the operations manager it has an icon for the stock model which i have not seen before. i have played with it but can not figure out how works. Any hints or tips on stock models would be appreciated.

Put in your stock size in the stock size in your left hand collumn by expanding the machine folder. Then chose your size and orientation and click "display" then your green check mark. Also go to ebay and buy a video on how to use mastercam.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Put in your stock size in the stock size in your left hand collumn by expanding the machine folder. Then chose your size and orientation and click "display" then your green check mark. Also go to ebay and buy a video on how to use mastercam.
    This is a brand new feature in X5 and has nothing to do with initial stock size. This brand new feature appears to keep track of remaining stock. Have you tried opening this example file in X5? I seriously doubt that any book on ebay covers this new feature in X5.

No one here is using X5 yet?

What exactly are you trying to do? Show stock?...then click the "display stock" button in the stock size module under the machine type in the left hand display. This isnt new to X5

-Edit...oh remaining stock....nope havent used that. ...probly never will.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

This feature is not working for the general public yet. only active on dealer keys. I have dove into much yet. but going to.
    then I will fllow here if you want to hear about it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    This feature is not working for the general public yet. only active on dealer keys. I have dove into much yet. but going to.
    then I will fllow here if you want to hear about it.
    I guess the sample file included with X5 is some sort of teaser. Since the stock model icon appears in the op manager would it be a fair assumption that clicking on it will show the results of what has been verified? I would find this to be a very helpful feature.

Quote Originally Posted by jjacoby View Post
    I guess the sample file included with X5 is some sort of teaser. Since the stock model icon appears in the op manager would it be a fair assumption that clicking on it will show the results of what has been verified? I would find this to be a very helpful feature.
    It is very common for Mastercam to include half finished features in releases of their software. Like lathe profile from solids. I think its now on its third version and users are being told it almost works most of the time.

If you ask they will say it is going to be finished in the next version. A large part of Mastercam's sales technique is "just wait until the next version, everything will be working perfect then"

Me I prefer to purchase one in the hand. Not three in the bush.

John

The way I see it the big problem in not knowing Mastercam is that right now Mastercam is teh standard in the industry so you have to know it to get the good job opportunities.