586,080 active members*
3,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

8020 CNC Build

Hi, I have been reading and learning over the last year (On and Off) and I am finally beginning my build. This will actually be my second build, My first was from MDF and I was less than happy with the results.

I have decided to build my machine from 8020 using cncrouterparts rack and pinion setup. I started getting the 8020 from ebay, and just recieved my 3x3 pieces with more arriving on tuesday. I just noticed that the 1.5x1.5 pieces were the light vesion and not heavy, Not sure what Im going to do about that, I will have to see what it is like when I get it in.

I am including a picture of my planed setup, please let me know what you think. I am also planing on doing some 45's in the corners to stiffen it up.

I am excited about this build and will share my experience as much as I can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2011-01-15 at 1.30.59 PM.png  

Inquiring Minds want to Know?

beamsjr,
    You must really be excited about starting your build. Good luck.

You know the drill!
    What size cutting area?
    What controller and motors?
    What spindle/router?
    Planning on using a "SuperPID"?
    Any & all design decisions made or under consideration are of great interest.

I am also about to embark down the build path. Some decisions have been made others are yet TBD. What I know as of now:
    3' x 4' cutting area.
    Mostly 80/20 base/frame. (may incorporate alum plate &/or MDF for gantry uprights, based on budget vs expense)
    R&P for the X & Y axis'.
    Acme for Z-Axis.
    CNCRouterparts carriages.
    G540 driver w/ appropriate motors.

I'm still in the design/planning phase, but will be ordering parts soon and complete the design around parts aquired and budget. I'll be watching your progress intently.

Good luck with your build. Remember to post lots of pic's!

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Hi Randy,

The cutting area will be almost 3.5 x 4.5. I really dont need it that big, A lot of my design considerations came from what parts were available from cncrouterparts and would need the least amount of modification to work. For instance, I made my Y axis 60" because I can get the 4" x 60" rails.

I currently have the Hobby CNC pro board with 4 axis and the Nema 23 305oz Motors. I am reusing them from my last build. I know most people are using Gecko drives, but the hobbyCNC setup is working really well for now. I may look into gecko's in the future if I blow up my HobbyCNC drive. I will post some pics of my controller setup in a bit.

I also have a BOSH router I think the model is 1617EVS and a K2 mount that I will be reusing from my last build. I still have to track down the company that makes the precision collets for that router. I remember looking at them quite a while ago.

I am sure at some point I will get a SuperPID, If I have enough cash towards the end of the build I may pick one up. I haven't read up on if they figured out the speed control from Mach 3 yet, If they have I just might take the plunge.

Here is a link to a video of my old CNC, I had a ton of problems with it, mostly because all the parts were cut by hand and I could never get it to cut square. YouTube - beamsjr's Channel

Here is the link to the precision collets

Collets, Nuts and Toolholders

My controller

Here is the pics of my controller, pretty standard. I added a LCD to view the voltage in the box, just to make sure I dont go messing around inside while there is current.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05609.jpg   DSC05610.jpg   DSC05608.jpg  

beamsjr,

Cool vid of your first build. It's a shame you didn't get the performance from it after all the hard work! However, it was a learning experience.

I like the LCD on your control box. I'll have to consider including that option, if I can can fiqure out how to wire it in (electronics kind of baffles me ). Having no electronics experience I plan on opting for a more or less "plug & play" solution to the electronics.

What do plan on using your machine for?

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

I went ahead and put an order in this morning for some stuff I needed...

1 x 10 Foot Parallel Port Cable
    4 x CNC Motor Cable Length 12 Foot
    1 x Zero Backlash Helical Shaft Coupler
    2 x Rack and Pinion Drive, Nema 23 - (I already have one)
    ---Pinion Gear Pitch 20 Pitch (Moore Gear)
    ---Pivot Standard
    ---Pulley 20 tooth with 1/4" bore (standard)
    1 x 1/2" Shaft Collar
    8 x Limit Switch
    6 x Extended Linear Carriage with ABEC 7 Bearings and 2 Tapped Holes for R&P
    1 x 1/2" Shaft Adapter
    1 x 1/2" Needle Thrust Bearing and Washers

Quote Originally Posted by DIYaholic View Post
    beamsjr,

What do plan on using your machine for?

Randy,
    Thats a difficult question, I am not really sure. Hopefully one day I will be able to make some side money with it, but until then I will be using it for everything from pcb routing to sign making, just as a hobbyist, for friends and family. If I get good at it and think I can move into the market I am definitely open to opening a business, but Im not getting my hopes up... I remember reading a post about who is making money using their CNC and the posts were rather disappointing. I have the bug though, and I wont be happy until I have my own machine. Unfortunately I had to sacrifice some of my loved woodworking equipment like my table saw to save up money for this, but hopefully in the end I will be more happy with the CNC.

Updated sketch

Here is an updated sketch of my plan...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2011-01-16 at 9.19.16 AM.png  

I am starting to get worried now that I have under designed my machine a little after seeing the 4x4 build of the fineline kit. It looks like it uses all 3x3 and 1.5x3 8020. I guess I will have to wait and see how strong it is when I get it together.

The fineline kit also has 6 legs, Do you think this is really necessary or can I get away with the 4 legs as I had planed?

Quote Originally Posted by beamsjr View Post
    I am starting to get worried now that I have under designed my machine a little after seeing the 4x4 build of the fineline kit. It looks like it uses all 3x3 and 1.5x3 8020. I guess I will have to wait and see how strong it is when I get it together.

The fineline kit also has 6 legs, Do you think this is really necessary or can I get away with the 4 legs as I had planed?
    I would rather over design a cnc than under.. I recommend more support for your table, its going to want to sag in the middle, 6 legs and some cross supports on the table will help, or add a 5th center leg to help support the center of your table.

I went ahead and put an order in this morning for some stuff I needed...

1 x 10 Foot Parallel Port Cable
    4 x CNC Motor Cable Length 12 Foot
    1 x Zero Backlash Helical Shaft Coupler
    2 x Rack and Pinion Drive, Nema 23 - (I already have one)
    ---Pinion Gear Pitch 20 Pitch (Moore Gear)
    ---Pivot Standard
    ---Pulley 20 tooth with 1/4" bore (standard)
    1 x 1/2" Shaft Collar
    8 x Limit Switch
    6 x Extended Linear Carriage with ABEC 7 Bearings and 2 Tapped Holes for R&P
    1 x 1/2" Shaft Adapter
    1 x 1/2" Needle Thrust Bearing and Washers
    I see you're going to use CNCRouterParts.com motor cables. Doing that will place the resistors next to the motor. Gecko advises against that. Here's a link: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...40_info_-.html

I used two 6ft and one 12ft CNCRouterParts.com motor cables for few weeks. I then made custom cables with the resistors next to the G540 and found that my motors ran much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach

I see you're going to use CNCRouterParts.com motor cables. Doing that will place the resistors next to the motor. Gecko advises against that. Here's a link: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...40_info_-.html

I used two 6ft and one 12ft CNCRouterParts.com motor cables for few weeks. I then made custom cables with the resistors next to the G540 and found that my motors ran much cooler.
    Are the resistors in the cables? I am most likley going to cut the ends off and use different connectors anyway. I am also using the hobby cnc board and not a gecko for now...
    http://www.beamsshop.com

Are the resistors in the cables? I am most likley going to cut the ends off and use different connectors anyway. I am also using the hobby cnc board and not a gecko for now...
    Maybe there's no problem. There are no resistors in the cables. CNCRouterParts installs a resistor in the pigtail off the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    Maybe there's no problem. There are no resistors in the cables. CNCRouterParts installs a resistor in the pigtail off the motor.
    Yeah, I plan on getting a det of these and using the connectors on it anyway.

D.Y. Engineering - 60mm Cover Kit

Yeah, I plan on getting a det of these and using the connectors on it anyway.

D.Y. Engineering - 60mm Cover Kit
    I have the NEMA 23 variation of the DY Engineering motor covers on two of my steppers and used the connector for the third stepper. The motor covers and connectors make for a very nice installation.

Modified design

Ok, I have modified the design a little to hopefully add some support without spending too much more money. Let me know what you think, I will hopefully start assembly over the weekend.

I got all the 8020 in yesterday along with the jig for drilling the 8020 and some aluminum cutting lubercant. I stoped by sears on my way home yesterday and picked up a set of craftsman taps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewDesign.jpg  

Ok, I have modified the design a little to hopefully add some support without spending too much more money. Let me know what you think, I will hopefully start assembly over the weekend.

I got all the 8020 in yesterday along with the jig for drilling the 8020 and some aluminum cutting lubercant. I stoped by sears on my way home yesterday and picked up a set of craftsman taps.
    Are you going to use any corner gussets or joining plates to stiffen your assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    Are you going to use any corner gussets or joining plates to stiffen your assembly?
    Yeah, I plan on adding some 45's in the corners, and some plates at a later date. I am also looking at the corner adapters 8020 has, not sure exactly what Im going to put in yet though.

Looks like a nice sturdy design. I am working on my second build as well, and for the same reasons. I built a jgro and wile the experience was good and it’s performance ok for a machine built with hand tools, I want a little more.

My current build is a 2’x4’ with a mix of steel, MDF, 8020, and acrylic. It’s a big experiment. And it’s going to be chain drive.

My build is pretty sad but your welcome to take a look if you like.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...art_2_new.html

Best of luck with your build.
    I’ll be watching incase you have some good ideas I can steal.

Rob Wms
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Page 1 of 4 123