586,094 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > New G0602 owner with questions

New G0602 owner with questions

Hi guys, I've been reading on here for awhile and decided on getting the G0602 lathe from Grizzly. It seems like a nice machine and the best bang for the buck. I'm suppose to get it Tuesday so I wanted to go ahead and order some tooling so I'll have it by the time I get the lathe set up, cleaned, and broke in.

I'm just wanting the basics to start with and I'm on a limited budget because I'm also saving for a G0704 mill. I have no experience with either machine so I'm looking to you guys for some guidance if you don't mind helping me out.

To start with I don't want to have to worry about shimming tools so I want a QCTP. I was looking at this one. It's a wedge type from Phase 2.

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

It doesn't state on the page but looking up the boring bar holder separately it shows it to hold 3/4" shank boring bars. Is this correct?

Here is a list of tools that I'm looking at. Please let me know if I'm heading in the right direction or not. I'm not looking to buy the absolute best and most expensive, I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck. This machine is just for playing around with, not making production parts or anything like that.

Ok, here is my list so far.

12 PC PREMIUM 3/4" SHANK BORING BAR SET CARBIDE TIPPED

12 PC PREMIUM 3/4" SHANK BORING BAR SET CARBIDE TIPPED - eBay (item 120639036925 end time Jan-23-11 19:37:22 PST)

MT3 LIVE CENTER

NEW MT3 LIVE CENTER MORSE TAPER 3 TRIPLE BEARING LATHE - eBay (item 120650186231 end time Jan-19-11 20:30:28 PST)

5PC PREMIUM HSS CENTER DRILL COUNTERSINK SET

5PC PREMIUM HSS CENTER DRILL COUNTERSINK SET COMBINED - eBay (item 120648128331 end time Feb-13-11 18:27:16 PST)

1/2" drill chuck with MT3 tang

DRILL CHUCKS JACOBS TYPE1, MINI LATHES, Lathemaster.com offers mini-lathes, milling machines, chucks & accessories

Now I'm stumped on the cutting tools. I'll be cutting 6061T6 aluminum and 304 stainless. I'm not sure if I should go with carbide or HSS. I believe I want to use indexable 1/2" cutting tools but not sure what kind to get. I've seen them with both carbide and HSS inserts. I would like to buy a set but not sure which would be the best for me. I want them to use easy to find inserts and ones where the inserts sit flush with the top of the tool. (I've read cases where some brands will have the inserts sitting above the top of the tool and will cause the cutting edge to sit above the center line)

I was looking at this kit that seemed like a good starter kit.

5 PC 1/2" INDEXABLE CARBIDE INSERT TOOL BIT SET LATHE - eBay (item 120650191814 end time Jan-19-11 21:07:55 PST)

Or maybe this one would be better.

NEW 7PC INDEXABLE TURNING & CUT-OFF TOOL SET 1/2" SHANK - eBay (item 120650161191 end time Jan-19-11 18:13:45 PST)

Then I saw this one and liked the way you could sharpen the inserts but it's pretty pricey.

LittleMachineShop.com - Turning Tools, 1/2" Indexable TPMB HSS Inserts

Is there a certain brand that would be best or one that can use both carbide and HHS inserts that are easy to find? Any certain place I should be looking that have good prices?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions for a first post but I'm just looking to place an order this weekend so maybe I could start making chips by next weekend.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys can give me.

Most of your choices look spot on, the 7 pc set would be good for aluminum.
    Pick up some HSS blank stock too if you have a bench grinder, they're good for
    making radius tools and such.
    For stainless you may want to get some good carbide insert tools from MSC,
    I have some links towards the bottom of this page.
    G0602
    How are you for measuring tools?
    this basic set will do.
    LittleMachineShop.com - Inspection Kit, 6-Piece
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by T_Tactical View Post
    Hi guys, I've been reading on here for awhile and decided on getting the G0602 lathe from Grizzly. It seems like a nice machine and the best bang for the buck. I'm suppose to get it Tuesday so I wanted to go ahead and order some tooling so I'll have it by the time I get the lathe set up, cleaned, and broke in.

I'm just wanting the basics to start with and I'm on a limited budget because I'm also saving for a G0704 mill. I have no experience with either machine so I'm looking to you guys for some guidance if you don't mind helping me out.

To start with I don't want to have to worry about shimming tools so I want a QCTP. I was looking at this one. It's a wedge type from Phase 2.

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

It doesn't state on the page but looking up the boring bar holder separately it shows it to hold 3/4" shank boring bars. Is this correct?

Here is a list of tools that I'm looking at. Please let me know if I'm heading in the right direction or not. I'm not looking to buy the absolute best and most expensive, I'm just looking for the best bang for the buck. This machine is just for playing around with, not making production parts or anything like that.

Ok, here is my list so far.

12 PC PREMIUM 3/4" SHANK BORING BAR SET CARBIDE TIPPED

12 PC PREMIUM 3/4" SHANK BORING BAR SET CARBIDE TIPPED - eBay (item 120639036925 end time Jan-23-11 19:37:22 PST)

MT3 LIVE CENTER

NEW MT3 LIVE CENTER MORSE TAPER 3 TRIPLE BEARING LATHE - eBay (item 120650186231 end time Jan-19-11 20:30:28 PST)

5PC PREMIUM HSS CENTER DRILL COUNTERSINK SET

5PC PREMIUM HSS CENTER DRILL COUNTERSINK SET COMBINED - eBay (item 120648128331 end time Feb-13-11 18:27:16 PST)

1/2" drill chuck with MT3 tang

DRILL CHUCKS JACOBS TYPE1, MINI LATHES, Lathemaster.com offers mini-lathes, milling machines, chucks & accessories

Now I'm stumped on the cutting tools. I'll be cutting 6061T6 aluminum and 304 stainless. I'm not sure if I should go with carbide or HSS. I believe I want to use indexable 1/2" cutting tools but not sure what kind to get. I've seen them with both carbide and HSS inserts. I would like to buy a set but not sure which would be the best for me. I want them to use easy to find inserts and ones where the inserts sit flush with the top of the tool. (I've read cases where some brands will have the inserts sitting above the top of the tool and will cause the cutting edge to sit above the center line)

I was looking at this kit that seemed like a good starter kit.

5 PC 1/2" INDEXABLE CARBIDE INSERT TOOL BIT SET LATHE - eBay (item 120650191814 end time Jan-19-11 21:07:55 PST)

Or maybe this one would be better.

NEW 7PC INDEXABLE TURNING & CUT-OFF TOOL SET 1/2" SHANK - eBay (item 120650161191 end time Jan-19-11 18:13:45 PST)

Then I saw this one and liked the way you could sharpen the inserts but it's pretty pricey.

LittleMachineShop.com - Turning Tools, 1/2" Indexable TPMB HSS Inserts

Is there a certain brand that would be best or one that can use both carbide and HHS inserts that are easy to find? Any certain place I should be looking that have good prices?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions for a first post but I'm just looking to place an order this weekend so maybe I could start making chips by next weekend.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys can give me.
    i got a similar copy wedge type qctp and i love it, only thing to watch for is the tool tip rises a few thou when you clamp the holder in, so check your heights with the tool holder locked into the post.

i have the same boring kit , i have only used it in aluminum so far and it works ok, leaves a great finish, but they deflect like butter, but suprisingly dont chatter

i got the $25 shars keyless 1/2" and i am just amazed with this thing for the price, i highly recomend it, especially for a newbie who will eventually have an oops.

i have the exact 7pc toolkit you show a link for, i have the 1/2" kit. if you get the half inch you will have to clerance the tool holders or compound or you wont be able to get the bit low enough. the cutoff tool is useless, but everything else works very well. the inserts that come with them are junk but i have been buying small lots of inserts on ebay very cheaply, and they work great with quality inserts. i do wish i had gonw with something like the 5pc hat uses all the same bit for convenience, but the 7pc will allow you to do more.

make sure you go price those hss inserts first, they are not cheap, and not as easy to find. i am loving the carbide, once i got the proper inserts, speeds and feeds correctly i couldnt be happier, nor could the finishes im getting

I just took delivery of my G0602 on Friday (see the bottom of: Building a big brother for my X2 for photos of unpacking, etc).

I also got the Phase 2 wedge post at Enco on sale - a great price on a great tool. It came on Friday too. I had most of everything else I needed for tooling but your list looks like a reasonable starting point. As Hoss mentioned, measuring tools! I bought most of mine on eBay (Starett) from quality sellers and have been very happy. High quality used tools for the price of new knock offs. I started with knock offs and they were frustrating.

The one thing I have learned in machining - it is almost always best to buy the best quality you can the first time. Inferior tools are a PIA to work with, good tools - even used ones - are a joy to work with and hold their value.

regards,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Hoss, I went ahead and picked up the 6 pc inspection kit that you recommended. I had forgotten the measuring tools in my excitement to get started. lol I'll also pick up some HHS blanks and try my hand at grinding some tooling. I have a bench grinder and a KMG belt grinder that might work well for grinding them.

hi_im_sean, thanks for the heads up on the tooling setting above the center line. About how much is the height off by? Would it be best to go with 3/8" tooling or stay with 1/2" for a more rigid platform and just mill a little off the bottom of each tool holder? Also is there a certain brand or seller that you would recommend for carbide inserts?

I see they all have letters and numbers for the different inserts such as WCMX 50308 and CCMT 060204. Are the numbers referencing the shape the the letters are the edge type? Would a CCMT fit any tool holder that uses that style or do the numbers have to match as well?

For example here is a CCMT 32.52

LittleMachineShop.com - Insert, CCMT-32.52 Carbide

And here is a CCMT 060204

MINI LATHES, Lathemaster.com offers 9x30 mini lathe, 8x14 mini lathe, mini mills, chucks & accessories

Will both of these fit the same tool holder and only offer different cutting edges or are they not compatible with the different tool holders?

Hi mhackney, I'll check out ebay on the measuring tools as I'm sure I'll be buying different dial indicators and different size micrometers and see what kind of deals I might run across. I was looking at Starett but man they are high. I know the price comes with quality though. Maybe I can find some good deals on some used Starett measuring tools.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

i have heard the 3/8 tools will work with out mods, but i have no experience with that. i didnt know i was going to have that problems until i went to use them, but im glad i have the 1/2" tooling for rigidity. i only had to clearance 2 of the regular tool holders by 1/8" if i remeber correctly, would be the 2 to the right of the toolpost in the enco pic. had a freind do them with a flycutter, threw sparks but left a great finish, take small doc, make sure you do something to rust proof them.

im going to save you a huge learning curve on carbide inserts as i just taught myself all this.

the lettering refers to the shape, clearance angle, tolerance and chip breaker/hole style in that order
    c- 80 degree diamond
    c- 7 degrees
    m- look it up
    t- 40-60° double countersink, double sided
    the numbers refer to the size, you referenced both the ansi and iso numbering system.
    ansi
    3- inscribed circle
    2.5-thickness
    2-radius of cutting tip
    iso
    06- inscribed circle
    02-thickness
    04-radius of cutting tip

a 32.52 is actually bigger than an 060204, the 060204 will work in those tool holders which is equivelant to a 21.5x. i would not exceed a 0.016" radius for steel with this lathe, i had issue as did someone else with a 0.032. but they work great in non ferrous.

you can cross reference and find all the data here:
    Insert Designation Chart - provides ANSI and ISO designation code definitions for carbide insert shapes, relief angles, tolerances, chipbreaker codes, hole types, size values, thickness values, radius values, wiper lead angle, wiper clearance angle,

i would recommend grizzlys/glanze carbide parting tool, and if you are serious about boring the boring bars from shars work great, i hogged out a huge slug of mild steel 3.5" deep, 2.5" diameter on one edge, left a great finish, i have the 3/4" 5.5" long, 404-7187.
    T10012 Parting Tool with Carbide Insert
    shars.com - Indexable Boring Bars Sets

Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out for me. That's a ton of info and exactly what I was looking for.

I didn't realize there were so many choices on cutting tools and inserts. It's gonna take me awhile to go through it all but all your leg work really helps out.

Thanks again man.

I just bought all my stuff from grizzly when I bought my 0602.
    Yeah, it costed a few extra bucks "up front", but it didn't come from 15 different sources and I didn't pay shipping 15 different times.
    (tongue in cheek)
    But the people at grizzly are sadistic to say the least in that my box of extras arrived three days before the machine did 8-P

I would recommend getting some extra belts. The stock ones don't seem to last very long.

latherunner, it's just the opposite for me. I'll have the machine before my tooling gets here. It's suppose to come in today but the tooling wont be in for about a week. I guess it'll at least give me time to break it down, clean it and break it in first.

Flenser, do you have a different brand that you recommend or should I just buy extra factory belts from Grizzly?

Go to a farm supply place and pick up some matching belts, the width and length I think is called out in the parts list. The factory belts on mine were bad. The low speed stretched out till it would not grip worth a damn no matter what you set the idler to. My high speed belt is also getting pretty ratty now as well and losing grip. I went to Feldman's and picked up a replacement for the low range pulleys and that belt is running far better.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Go to a farm supply place and pick up some matching belts, the width and length I think is called out in the parts list. The factory belts on mine were bad. The low speed stretched out till it would not grip worth a damn no matter what you set the idler to. My high speed belt is also getting pretty ratty now as well and losing grip. I went to Feldman's and picked up a replacement for the low range pulleys and that belt is running far better.
    Thanks man, I'll pick some up and replace them when I tear everything down to clean it. Might as well take care of those types of things now and not have to worry about it later.