586,072 active members*
4,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Help with Mach3 and missing steps G540
Page 1 of 2 12

Angry Help with Mach3 and missing steps G540

I was using a tb6550 board from hubbard but it keep missing steps and some of my steppers would get hot some would stay cool all at 75% amp. So recieved a g540 for christmas and I thought my troubles were behind me. Though it is better I am still missing steps both in 2d and 2.5d. I even build a new cnc with better bearings and is very easy to turn each threaded bolt by hand.

I am Waisting my time and wood$$ I have spent several hrs and tuning motors and reading forums looking for answers. I have contacted Gecko but they just tell me slow down the machine but it still looses steps. More evident in x and y cnc project is history after waiting hour or so i have to start over just try again it happens at different times during cnc project. It pauses some times but I am not sure why and then it continues ok. others totals project

Here is my set up I have tried 2 different computers 1 a dell 2.4 with xp 2gigs ram and compaq 2.8 with 2 gigs of ram both desktops. My both in epp mode and mach 3 ver r1.83.027. i have loaded file for mach 3 from gecko. steppers 2amp 24v 6wire minbea motors wired full, tuned at vel 35, 6accl, step pulse 2 set to run reverse on my setup. 6.4amp 24v powsup When running it has some power takes alot of effort to stop threaded bolt from spinning. gecko tells me my setting are two high but i can take acc up to 90 setting wave a 45 degs. and then it starts loose right away by just jogging cnc. I put mach3 in sherline mode 35hz to see of it helps but still same problem.

I create my designs in corel draw and export to WMF import to lazycam to scale and produce g code. I have also used cambam and Freemill with mach3in and Mach3sherline all with same result. Every now and then i get lucky and the project is finished.. I should just be able to position wood and comback later to the finished job.

If anyone can please HELP ME WITH SOMETHING TO TRY THAT Could fix this problem. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY MORE.. at times i just want to give up. I think something is just not set right and i am not realizing it.

Any help is greatly apprecated.

Thanks for reading this post hope you can help!

Thats a very old version of Mach3. Current version is R3.042.40
    If Gecko is telling you your settings are too high, I think I would listen.

What are the speeds your getting now?
    What is the thread pitch of the rod your using?

Start at a slower speed, a speed you know your not losing steps...
    Once comfortable with that speed, increace the speed 10% - repeat till you start loosing steps, then back off 10%

it has 13 threads per inch and seems to do fine at 40inpm. I sat one day and connected a wireless keyboad to it for 2hrs just joged it all around while wacthing tv. the motors never made the groaning missing step sound.

I did notice today after it messed up again. while i was trying to line it up again to pickup where it messed up. I was joging through the code looking at mach window to see where it would be on the drawing and what line code when i notice it paused for about 2 sec just scrolling through code. Just like when it was runing.. Something in my setting or pc (Xp) is causing this i think. though i have seen it do this and finish a project it is speratic and inconsitant when it occurs again its a gamble if the project is continuing to be completed correctly or scrap wood.

Thanks for your response I am greatful for any help!

Thank! again.

I thought of upgading mach3 but funds are low and i would hate to have same problem.

I thought maybe trying emc and using a drive i have laying around for new os.

that version of mach is so old and has so many bugs i would uninstall it install the new one and do something in under 500 lines of code and try that...
    you can use the latest mach 3 without a license as long as its under 500 lines of code..
    trust me that version of mach will cause you headaches...

K, so aside from an old version of mach3, your running win xp.
    Is the computer hooked up to the CNC machine dedicated to it?
    Or is it used for everything you do? Is it bloated with lots of software?
    Can you format the computer to have a fresh install?

With only 13 tpi rod, your speeds won't be too fast.
    Do you lose steps at 25ipm?

I am pretty sure that Artsoft will upgrade you to latest rev for no cost, they are pretty good about that -- they consider it part of routine ongoing support for their product. I would definately check out their web site, maybe give them a call. I think you'll be pleasently surprised!

Update: Driect from the Mach 3 web site:

In the past 4 years, Artsoft has freely updated all previous versions of Mach for its customers. This policy still remains today. Any current version of Mach will be free to update for the duration of its development.

A license is only required on the computer(s) actually running the machine(s). If a computer not connected to a machine is used to test code, please use Mach3 in Simulation mode - it will remove the 500 line limit. Simulation mode can be accessed by uninstalling (or not installing) the Parallel Port Driver.

It is a decitated computer but not a fresh install.. there may be some stuff runinng in back ground. And i will save my pennys to upgade mach 3. The setup was given to me I do not hold the lic. It works fine with in 500 lines past that it messes up around 1000 or so simulations run fine system counts. I cannot duplicate missed stepps in jog mode unless at 80 or 90 inpm.
    I am selling signes and stuff made to get the funds for it if i dont spend it all on wood for project restart. I was not a cnc fan before but now i am Hooked.

I am useing all free software except mach using blender for 3d or 2.5d Promised myself i would not put more $$ unless it pays for itself minus my time of course.

Want to make a mill or plama cutter once i figure this out and get $$ from projects.

Thanksyou everyone I am far from a pro. But if there is a will there is way.

I will keep trying and hopfuly not crying.. by cleaning out pc and runing only software for cnc.

Thats great about a donated machine, too bad about the licence.

I think I would make Mach3 my number one concern, and get that upgraded ASAP.

Make sure the step outputs are set to 'active high' in Mach3 'Ports and Pins'.
    Make sure 'Step Pulse Width' is set to '2uS' in Mach3 'Motor Tuning'.

Mariss

You seem to have some misconceptions.

Mach 3 is free to try at all levels. However it is limited to 500 lines in the demo mode.

If you have an old version that runs over 500 lines and it was truly donated to you then the license file is on your computer and you can upgrade and only have to be sure the license file is where it belongs.

If the donator kept a copy of the license then you are no more legal running now than you would be after upgrading. All up grading is is downloading the new version.

And you may well be wanting to much speed with 13 tpi screws.... The mach site gives all kinds of info about getting XP to work well with mach, and I hope the computer isn't a notebook..

You have to make absolutely sure that your computer doesn't have any background programs that pop up at odd times to tell you they need updates, etc.

There is also a strong possibility that your computer is not putting out a consistent pulse stream through the parallel port to the motors. I had a problem with random lost steps a year ago until I installed a Smooth Stepper board - problem solved.

There are always more opportunities to spend money with CNC...

Angie

If your motors are rated at 24V, and you're only supplying them 24V, then the problem is probably the motors. For decent performance, you should be supplying at least 10-15 times the rated voltage. The motors most people use are rated at 2V-4V, with lower generally being better.

The 13tpi makes matters even worse. First it's very inefficient, wasting about 70% of your power. And Second, it requires you to spin the motors way too fast to get decent speed, and the motors don't have nearly as much torque at higher speeds.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If your motors are rated at 24V, and you're only supplying them 24V, then the problem is probably the motors. For decent performance, you should be supplying at least 10-15 times the rated voltage. The motors most people use are rated at 2V-4V, with lower generally being better.
    Sorry Gerry, I'm not understanding what you mean here.
    Could you elaborate a little please?

I downloaded and installed the new version of mach 3 in one my pcs and ran on my 3 axis machine with g-540. It all runs fine at 40ipm on 13 thread rod 2amp 24v minbea steppers that dont get too hot warm and very warm in about 2 hrs. but so does my original mach in sytem I have Two dell pc Identical that i bought used 2.2ghz 2gig ram 80g another was donated to me with old verstion of mach preinstalled and I pulled drive and put in my used dell. same os and ram. hd lft one alone and installed new mach in one of them setup with all same setting epp in bios and pc in standard mode both have xp professional.

I do not missed stepps until about 2k lines of code or more if it happens I have a 24v metered at 24.5 pwr supply at 6.4 amps. I am wondering if that is my problem? Maybe I need more amps to maintain load?

I dont know I. I have invested many hour and time into my cnc. It all began when i found mach in old pc drive. I thought this is cool.. I will see what i can do with this. I have built 2 machines and ONe very bad.. trashed now larger smother stronger better machine. and about 2k invested that is why i dont want to put money into mach3. but given time and fustration i just might do it.

Thanks for all your help everyone i will leave it at that and see what way I go.. Wish you all success with all your cnc projects.

Hey, could we get a couple pics of your build?

What's the inductance of your motors? I'm pretty sure it's a combination of high inductance motors and inefficient screws.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

tristen0821,

If your current version of mach is full version you upgrade for free!

Try this on your test PC. Just to be on the safe side.

On your main machine, that you have the full working version on, you need to copy 2 files. Open your mach folder via windows explorer and look for your XML file used as your machines Profile. the file extension will be .XML and it will be named whatever you named your profile when you created it. Copy and save this file on a usb flash drive. Next look for a file called Mach1lic.dat
    This is your license file. Copy it to the usb flash drive. (make sure you COPY the files, dont accidently choose CUT)

You should now have two files saved to your usb flash drive: XML and DAT and the original files should still be on the pc

Now head over to the test pc...

Note: Make sure you are logging on to your pc as an administrator from here out...

Do the following exactly as stated:

1. Uninstall the demo version of mach 3 from your test pc.

2. Reboot computer

Note: You needed to do this to start a clean install. To properly upgrade, you can't run mach 3 until all the folowing steps are complete or you WILL be stuck with the 500 line limit.

3. Instal the demo version of mach3 but DO NOT START MACH3 once it's installed.

Note: during instal/setup, you don't need to create a mill profile. just select the default mill profile.

4. Once install setup is complete, Reboot computer DO NOT START MACH3

5. Open the mach3 folder via windows explorer and copy the two files from your usb flash drive to this folder. ( XML and DAT file) DO NOT START MACH3

6. Close the window once the files have been pasted and Reboot your computer (I know this gets old but trust me, do it)

7. Once your computer is back on, re-open the mach3 folder and look for the file "DriverTest.exe" double click it to start the test. when the program opens just click start and wait for it to run through. Dont touch anything. It takes about a minute to run.

8. once the test is complete, Reboot your computer (I promise this is the last time)

9. Once your computer starts back up, you should now have a fully working and licensed version of the latest mach3!

Start up Mach3 using mach 3 loader and select your profile from the list.

Run a G code file to check that mach3 is running past the 500 line limit. Don't actually machine the file but run it in mach as if you are. what I mean here is run the program as if your machine is turned on. dont use the simulation screen. simulations can always run past the 500 limit even in demo mode.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Everyone all is well

After many failed attpemts with old ver mach 3
    I converted one of my pcs to use emc2 an ran a couple of test took me a while to get the scale it i think its right.. and i think i got it..
    I like the look for now.

It works like a champ getting 60 ipm with home depot threaded bolt 13rev per inch. pwer sup is 24.5v at 2.1amps to each stepper and they run quite cool not hot as before. I know the it is better with acme bolt for speed and torque$$$ but for now this will do.

CNC Doesnt start to loose steps till about 83-90ipm. but just hums along 40-60ipm which is all i expect from my set up..
    I home all axis to zero started 30x36x2.5d project in air and let run. when done return all axis to zero and perfect. before in my old mach Never lined up on long 2.5 d projects.(proof of major loss of steps) now i can put my efforts in fine tuning design and ideas for cnc projects I hope my problem is behind me. I hope..

Thanks you all for your input.
    Making some projects today as i kick back and let my cnc do its thing with no babysitting it for lost stepps or worry about damaging my machine.

Best to all your cnc projects!!!

Thanks

Thanks slave2thegrind,

I tried a diffrent pc with fresh install and a copy of xml and mach1dat but no success it show lic but still limits to 500 in view window and code will stop at 498

Page 1 of 2 12