586,685 active members*
2,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC router $500 - $1000

I am new to the cnc world, so I would like to buy a cnc router for around $500 - $1000, I have being looking at the Zenbot on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Category=57122 ) and the K2 CNC I am not sure which one to get or if there is another one out there for the price or if someone can make one for me?

Help please!!

The ones on ebay are typically junk. If you're looking for a smaller engraver then get a good machine or build one here at the diy forum on the zone. K2 makes good routers from what I have heard. However I believe their cheapest router is around $3,000. I doubt you will find a quality one for under a grand.

if you read that add

you are going to have to spend money on software drivers and power supply

at that point you will be as informed as anyone who built one of these on this forum. take the advice and check out the diy part of this forum!!!

you will have spent much more than a grand to operate this router and given the gravy money to this fabricator, the full finish of the machine and learning curve will still be at your expence

jim

Buying

Thanks for replying to my post, But have decided to buy a cnc router rather than make one, Once I feel comfortable with all the parts and machine of a cnc router (stepper motor, softwares, etc) then I will make one but at the moment I am looking at the K2 and the Romaxx CNC do you know anything about and what else would I need to buy to have the cnc router ready to go, I know I would need:

Stepper motor
    Router/spindle
    CAD/CAM Software

thanks and I would looking out for all your reply's

With your low budget and just wanting to get your feet wet, it might be possible to come out just over $1000 by getting the Ebay machine. It doesn't appear to be junk to me. It looks like a little decent machine. Really small, but it will surely get you started in cnc. I'd say go for it. There are some new small drives coming out made by Gecko in the next couple months. Xylotex also work well for a small machine and are very easy to connect. Small power supplies aren't that costly. You could run it on Turbo cnc and use a free cam package and come out as cheap as possible.
    Lee

Zenbot

Hello I am thinking of getting the Zenbot CNC as my first cnc please give some advice as I am new to the cnc world?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZENBOT-CNC-ROUTE...QQcmdZViewItem

rza

thanks for contacting me and i am not that far ahead of you in the world of cnc, however to kinda put into perspective, at one time in my cnc search i got so fustrated i was going to build my own cnc, one of the guy's who works for me said not to do this as there will be enough learning curve with out having to learn the innner workings of the mechanic's of cnc!! so i bought a complete machine and as you will find was used and needed to be up graded!!

that has now been done, the machine you are considering still needs a lot of compenents to operate and virtually would come with no to minimal support

knowing what i know now i would not do this!!! this does not mean the machine you are looking at is not ok, it's just not complete and you will not be using it the day you get it!! it's just a matter of what you prefer

if your question what would you do, then i'd buy a complete machine from a reputable builder

I am looking at getting a CNC router. I can't wait to start engraving and making alum parts.

Check out this post for the cnc routers I'm looking at now...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...tml#post882506

Any help would be greatly appreciated.