586,263 active members*
3,813 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to CNC router question.....

What open source software is out there for CNC router designs?

What is the most common software available for CNC work?

I'm a Apple Mac person are there CNC machines out there that will plug into my mac?

What can I expect to pay for a CNC router that can cut an area of 24x28 inches?

Here is a link to the router table section of this forum
    EMC2 runs on linux, I think Mach3 is Mac compatible also

DIY-CNC Router Table Machines - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

JTCUSTOMS

Dear david,
    cnc router design software: CAD,CAM ,type3.Artcam.Castmate
    most common :Type3 we usually
    pay can use:T/T in advance ,Western union .L/C
    at last >24inch *28inches ,too large i think .

Hope can help u some .

alice liu

Jinan Creat Star CNC Machinery Co.,Ltd

Mobile:+86-134 0641 0663 Fax: +86-531 88267763
    Email: [email protected]
    Yahoo Talk: [email protected]
    Website: httip:// CNC Router Machine|Laser Engraver/Cutter Machine --Jinan create Star enC Machinery Co., Ltd

Thank you very much. I'll check it out.

That's a lot of questions

But one at a time:

Sure, you can design a machine in any open-source CAD system; the proprietary ones just tend to work better, are easier to learn, and come with support. You'll generally have better luck exporting parts to a CAM system too; many open-source systems tend to save only to their own native formats, or to graphic formats that aren't useful for CNC models.

Most common software for CNC work? That's pretty meaningless; you have to define what sort of CNC work you're talking about first. CNC is used to control laser-cutting tools, stamping machines, 5-axis mills. routers, PCB machines, engravers etc., and there are different programs for each purpose.

Sure, most Mach3 controlled CNC machines will plug into your Mac as long as it has a parallel port and runs Windows. EMC controlled machines will work if it runs Linux. Otherwise, you need to find one that runs off USB and has a Mac OS-compatible control system (which might exist, but I've never heard of one).

For a CNC router that size, you can pay anything from $400 to $40,000, depending on what it's made of, where it's made, the system that runs it, the spindle(s), the precision it is capable of, the materials it's made to cut, and additional features like automatic toolchangers, vacuum hold-downs, dust exhaust systems, and toolsetters.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

PS: Type3 and ArtCAM are not open-source systems, although some Chinese vendors seem to think of them as freeware...

Many of us use Sketchup for designing, which is free and runs on a Mac. It is handy to get Sketchup pro, but that costs $. If you are a student or teacher, they have very nice educational pricing

Meshcam claims to run on a mac. I haven't gotten that to work.

You can, however, run Cambam, the PC Meshcam, and every other PC CAM program in Virtualbox, which is free. I run Cambam that way.

You probably don't want to drive your CNC router from your mac. You really want a dedicated system to do that with a parallel port. A cheap used PC is just fine. You can run EMC or Mach. Mach costs $, but I think it's worth it over EMC. You might be able to figure out how to use Mach3 under Virtualbox with a smooth stepper, but the smoothstepper isn't free.

You can probably spend around $2200 complete for a 2x3 machine. Getting it under $1500 is possible, but it takes a lot of work on ebay and such getting parts cheaper, and a lot of hand work making the machine. People talk about under $1000, but usually these are not 2x3, or don't have the electronics, spindle, spindle mount, etc. There are a few options in this size. I am partial to the FLA-100 (finelineautomation.com), but search for threads about fineline here in the 'zone for some cautions. The Joes 2006, the Blacktoe and a Solsylva come up often for less expensive, more work choices.

Which cnc routers come with vacuums to suck the saw dust as it cuts?

Vectric - CNC Software Solutions - Wood Carving - Engraving - Signmaking - Routing - Machining I like the vetric software for cam work its pretty easy to learn and you can draw in there (2d) so unless you have something complicated you can get by using it as your cad program as well.

One thing you'll find is CNC costs in either time or $$$$