586,035 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Question about locline for BF20 machine

Question about locline for BF20 machine

Hey all, I am setting up a flood cooling system for my BF20 mill (G0704 for the US).
    I am just wanting some advice on the size of locline that others have used for smaller flood systems. I was thinking of 1/2", but since I need to ship it all the way to Australia from the US I wanted to make sure it is right!
    Cheers,
    Scott

I was just looking at this site Loc-Line World I didn't realize this same stuff has a lot of other uses like for aquariums, dolls, stuffed animals, snakelites and showers. You might be able to find something in a dumpster to get it from for free! Now I'm wondering how well an automotive electric fuel pump would work out pushing the fluid through it?

Quote Originally Posted by slashmaster View Post
    I'm wondering how well an automotive electric fuel pump would work out pushing the fluid through it?
    It wouldn't - most automotive fuel pumps (EFI) have submerged electrics ie. the rotor / armature is within the fuel path. Water and electrics as you know don't work well together. Could use a diaphragm pump but they are usually low flow and noisy !

I do use a submerged pump myself. It was a solvent tank originally. It works fine.
    An automotive fuel pump might be too strong. I think they are at least 90 PSI. Strong enough to put an eye out for sure.

Just about any small pump can be used if used as designed. Plenty of cheap ones available. Aquarium stuff, garden stuff, fountain pumps, solvent tanks etc.
    I even have a small pump that attaches to a drill and a couple water hoses to pump stuff with.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by CADScott View Post
    Hey all, I am setting up a flood cooling system for my BF20 mill (G0704 for the US).
    I am just wanting some advice on the size of locline that others have used for smaller flood systems. I was thinking of 1/2", but since I need to ship it all the way to Australia from the US I wanted to make sure it is right!
    Cheers,
    Scott
    go with 1/4" This is the most commonly used line and what a lot of others are using. I am also using it on my ZX-45. Also here is a good cheap source for the Loc-Line product. ModularHose.com - Loc-Line Modular Hose System

This is what I bought.
    ADJUSTABLE COOLANT HOSES WITH MAGNETIC BASE NEW - eBay (item 160531744241 end time Jan-19-11 23:51:43 PST)

Not sure if he ships down under, but you might check Aus. Ebay.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I do use a submerged pump myself. It was a solvent tank originally. It works fine.
    An automotive fuel pump might be too strong. I think they are at least 90 PSI. Strong enough to put an eye out for sure.

Just about any small pump can be used if used as designed. Plenty of cheap ones available. Aquarium stuff, garden stuff, fountain pumps, solvent tanks etc.
    I even have a small pump that attaches to a drill and a couple water hoses to pump stuff with.
    Maybe I should have made it clearer! Auto pumps don't seperate the fuel from the electrical parts. As there is no air present .... no bang - gas / oil works as an insulator also. They are designed to run around 43psi or 3 bar. Obviously water is conductive which is not what you want inside the pump!

Aquarium / pond submerged pumps will work although most feature a permanent magnet on their rotors which will pick up any iron or steel filings that get into the coolant so beware!

Thanks all for the replies, I will go with 1/4" as suggested.

As for the auto fuel pump idea, they are also very low flow, so probably would not provide a lot of actual coolant flow at all, and they use a fair not of power to run. Best to go with an aquarium or pond pump as suggested, heaps cheaper too!

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    It wouldn't - most automotive fuel pumps (EFI) have submerged electrics ie. the rotor / armature is within the fuel path. Water and electrics as you know don't work well together. Could use a diaphragm pump but they are usually low flow and noisy !
    I didn't know that. That explains a lot. Do you also happen to know whats happening when a fuel pump is making a loud whine sound? Is it air bubbles caught in it?

Quote Originally Posted by slashmaster View Post
    I didn't know that. That explains a lot. Do you also happen to know whats happening when a fuel pump is making a loud whine sound? Is it air bubbles caught in it?
    Anyone's guess but air usually gurgles or makes pump 'rattle'. Whining is usually a sign the bearings are on the way out - could fail tomorrow or go on for years - and as most are non rebuildable you'll never really know!

Sorry for the thread diversion!

Thanks Kawazuki.