586,058 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MPG Pendant on eBay

I've been looking into buying one of these, but most require a second parallel port, which I don't have, as I use my laptop on a dock that only has the one, and no provision for another. Anyway, I found one that supposedly plugs directly into the serial port and doesn't require any type of physical interface. It has an extra cable with a USB plug on it so it can source the 5V from the usb port. It looks really ugly and basic, but I was thinking of buying a better case and switching in the internals from this one (aesthetics are important!). So does this sound right, or do these always require an interface between the pendant and the PC?

Steph

CNC 4 axes remote handwheel MPG hand held pendant Mach3 (eBay item 180612798833 end time 14-Feb-11 17:03:55 AEDST) : Industrial
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails !B9VfZJQBWk~$(KGrHqQOKj!EzJugmvIDBM5c5rpqC!~~_12.jpg  

I dont believe the adapters will work. This has been covered a few times before. Hopefully someone with specific information will chime in.

Steoh,

Mach3 has provisions for Modbus

See attached links for more information.

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/mo...dio_setup1.wmv

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/mo...dio_setup2.wmv

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/mo...dio_setup3.wmv

There are several vendors selling Modbus solutions.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

If it doesn't include a plug-in or some other form of driver, Mach3 will not see it....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Well, I heard back from the seller, and he swears the unit plugs directly into the computer's serial port and works without issue. I can see in his feedback where other buyers have been happy with the ones they've purchased from him, so it does seem to work. That said, I decided to go with a Shuttle Pro 2, as it's cheaper and has the potential for considerable expansion through the assignment of the wide array of buttons. I understand the centre of the jog wheel is a bit average in operation, so I'll just stick to using the outer wheel.

Using the outer wheel is what makes it so cool. It will move exponentially faster depending on finger pressure. The MPG I have used is set for a specific amount of movement per click. It only moves as smoothly as you move the dial. Though the shuttle is more delicate it works much better IMO. I did get alot of help from Arturo @ CNC4PC and it might be able to also allow keyboard use. I just didnt pursue it as I had already experienced a shuttle pro. Now if I could get my wheel from my shuttle encased in my MPG packaging, I would be in heaven. I love using mine for manual machining.

A little off topic, but you can add a parallel port through USB by using a SmoothStepper (Warp9 Tech. Design - Home of the SmoothStepper - Home)