586,108 active members*
3,287 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Spindle won't start

Spindle won't start

Hello anyone come across this before? Yesterday I hit the slide stop button and now when I go to run a program the program starts but the spindle won't come on. In other words the the program selects the tool coolant comes on and then nothing it just won't go past this point.Can anyone advise?
    Regards
    Will

Alarms ? .......full line of info please
    the machine and control ?

Could be
    - in the middle of toolchange cycle , try shuttling the tool magazine
    - tool to come in is already in the spindle, return tools back to magazine, and start program again, ATC sequence # is 1 ( when starting ), is about #3 if pre-selecting the next tool--- any other # may mean a hang-up,,,,try the ATC "Return" button when in MANUAL MODE
    - in the middle of pallet change
    - tool clamp signal not met, make sure tool clamped light is ON
    - "Machine Lock" is turned ON

You need to give a lot more info on your machine and any messages it puts up
    also check the "Diagnosis" page,,,,,,, any info ?

At least mill or lathe....

Don't know how old your Okuma is, but it could be one of the drive enable/ release ice cube relays is stuck. Try tapping each one lightly with a screwdriver handle and see if anything happens. But, this is only of use on older machines.

When you stopped it could be a co-incidence.

Okuma LB15

Sorry guys I was in that much of a fluster I didn't let you know the what machine I had. It is an early Okuma LB15 lathe late 1980's. Now the machine has thrown up an alarm 110 SDU. I take it this is spindle drive unit and talking to my dealer sounds like I need a new board.

Quote Originally Posted by willamcar View Post
    Sorry guys I was in that much of a fluster I didn't let you know the what machine I had. It is an early Okuma LB15 lathe late 1980's. Now the machine has thrown up an alarm 110 SDU. I take it this is spindle drive unit and talking to my dealer sounds like I need a new board.
    If it's a early one, it will have a fanuc spindle drive. Should say fanuc, probably start with a06b, or a20b etc. If it is, forget your dealer, call fanuc directly and give them the part number. They will come in with the top board and transistor modules and repair it on site. You can also get an exchange unit through fanuc as well. Every one I got from okumas rebuilder of those was no good. Went through three befor fanuc came in and repaired the original. You can fix them yourself if you rally want to.