586,043 active members*
3,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Deckel, Maho, Aciera, Abene Mills > Deckel so66 single flute cutter grinder

Deckel so66 single flute cutter grinder

Hi
    i just purchased a used deckel so-66 grinder. Wondering if people could help me answer a few questions.

1. Wondering where to find the serial number on this machine?

2. Wondering how to attach the dust guard shown in the second picture/

3. What level of dust extraction is required? Where can I find information about properly setting up dust extraction for a machine like this? Should I grind wet?

4. Is it possible to find "aftermarket" accessories for this grinder. Deckel brand accessories are a bit out of my price bracket but I would like to be able to sharpen drills, endmills, and lathe tools. Anyone have drawings for building accessories?

5. Are there any websites that offer instruction on how to use this type of grinder?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-01-20_20-45-57_130.jpg   2011-01-20_20-46-51_205.jpg  

Hey,

I'm sure you've found out eveything you want to know about this. If your ever interested in selling it, let me know. 406-250-3424.

Deckel Grinder Questions

If your are still looking for the answers to your questions....
    1) The serial number is located on the name plate on the front of the grinder. From the not quite clear photo one can sort of make out the beginnings of the number as SO / 66- ???? It looks as if the serial number was scratched away? The "SO" refers to the grinder model; the "66" refers to the year the grinder was made - 1966.
    2) It looks like there is a tube that fits into the casting behind the wheel mount, about 1/2"diameter that would then also allow the dust guard to slide onto the tube on the other end.
    3) Dust collection is highly recommended when grinding carbide tools, however, not necessarily required. Dust collection does keep the grinder cleaner which extends the life and precision of the grinder as a whole, not to mention the good it will do for your lungs. This grinder is designed to be used for dry grinding only. Some users prefer to have a small can of water to cool tools in when splitting or grinding larger diameters where heat tends to build up. But the actual grinding is done dry.
    4) That's a hit and miss risk. The Asian knock-offs made close copies of the Deckel grinders, but most parts and accessories are not interchangeable. There is a Taiwanese Pregraph grinder that has many reasonably accessories you are asking for, but like I mentioned earlier, the compatability with the Deckels is not assured. Don't know of any drawings for these items.
    5) No real websites for learning to use this grinder, other than reading through an operating instruction manual that can be ordered on line. I've seen a you-tube video of a Chinese grinder you might find instructive. Most users learned by doing, watching over the old timer's shoulders in one of the hundreds of tool & die shops around the country. These grinders have changed very little on the over 60+ years they have been around. The Deckel grinders are the Mustangs of the metal working industry, often commanding prices for used grinders equal to or higher than what they sold for originally when they were brand new.